PDA

View Full Version : 9mm to 40 and Glocks

mikeyd499
02-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Has anyone fired any of these through a Glock? Just wondering how the polyagonial rifling works.

DukeInFlorida
02-03-2010, 01:43 AM
They are JACKETED bullets, and Glock has no issues with jacketed bullets.

richbug
02-03-2010, 01:10 PM
The problem I see coming with them is loading length, the nose of the bullets formed by CH's dies are going to be too long for standard length 40's unless you don't mind a gap at the front of the case.

The nose on the ones I formed measures about .312" long, as best as I can measure.

.850+.312"= 1.162" which is longer than most 40 cal mags will take. Your mileage might vary.

DukeInFlorida
02-03-2010, 01:40 PM
What do you mean, a gap at the front of the case?

Can you post pictures of what you have made, and dimensions in the pics?

A 180 grain bullet, in a .40 S&W has a recommended OAL of 1.125.

Brian..... what is the overall length that you got with your samples?????

The problem I see coming with them is loading length, the nose of the bullets formed by CH's dies are going to be too long for standard length 40's unless you don't mind a gap at the front of the case.

The nose on the ones I formed measures about .312" long, as best as I can measure.

.850+.312"= 1.162" which is long than most 40 cal mags will take. Your mileage might vary.

richbug
02-03-2010, 02:51 PM

Can you post pictures of what you have made, and dimensions in the pics?

A 180 grain bullet, in a .40 S&W has a recommended OAL of 1.125.

Brian..... what is the overall length that you got with your samples?????

I haven't loaded any yet, and my camera isn't good enough on macro to show it anyway.

Most Glock mags will take 1.15"

DukeInFlorida
02-03-2010, 04:10 PM
As long as they look anything like this, I am happy...
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/HST_Ranger40_on.jpg

sagacious
02-03-2010, 07:31 PM
If the nose/ogive of the bullet is too long, then the ogive will taper into the case upon seating to recommended OAL, leaving a gap where the case-mouth would normally crimp against the bullet.

Since the 40SW headspaces on the case-mouth, crimping forward enough on the ogive will cause any number of problems.

A practical solution for the application of these bullets in the Glock might be to swage a bullet that has an ogive short enough to give proper OAL for Glock magazing use, and still not cause deep-seating problems. That might be a tough row to hoe.

The hard jacket that results from the solid 9mm case web might also be problematic as concerns chamber pressure in the Glock 40SW. Engraving the solid case web, even in polygonal barrels, might just crank up the pressure-- and that might in turn cause problems for the 40SW case web in the unsupported Glock barrel. In a supported aftermarket barrel-- it might be OK, but it seems to me there's still a few flies in the ointment to work out.

Best of luck guys. :)

BT Sniper
02-03-2010, 10:50 PM
I was able to make shorter bullet ogives with the 40 ch die by adjusting the hollow point punch a bit deeper so the bullet will form before it reaches top of die. I'll have to take some closer measurements but the ogive length was noticably shorter.

The shooter I gave some of the full length 40 cal bullets made in the ch die from 9mm just adjusted the seating die to make a tighter taper crimp and this fixed the problem. He posted good pics in the "range report" thread with the first post I made a link to his report.

BT Sniper
02-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Also a neat trick with a bullet made from brass is you can mount it in a case trimmer ( because of the rim) and trim the nose ogive to any length you want.

BT Sniper
02-03-2010, 10:54 PM
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,25448.60.html

Link to the 40 from 9mm range report and shows fix of this slight gap.

warf73
02-04-2010, 03:24 AM
I've got some 380 brass I'm going to mess with when I get my die from Brian. If I can get what I'm wanting with 380 brass I'll trim down my 9mm brass to 380 spec length. Its more work but for what I've into the brass I can do it.

sagacious
02-04-2010, 03:25 AM
Looks good, seems workable.

Keep on keepin on.

DukeInFlorida
02-04-2010, 01:39 PM
I previously MISSED his point that he's using a Lee Factory Crimp Die to assist in the crimping. That will work fine in my Dillon RL550B press!

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,25448.60.html

Link to the 40 from 9mm range report and shows fix of this slight gap.