PDA

View Full Version : 32-acp cases to short ??

gray wolf
02-02-2010, 09:02 PM
I just looked at some 32 acp cases and noticed that some are
about 7 to 8 thou. to short. My old Lyman book Say's .672--is the trim to length
and max is .680. Well some of mine are .664 with some at .668.
I no this is a small sensitive round, what do you men think I should do.
If I seat bullets in them with the same seat dept that I seat in cases that are
.674 I think I will have less room for powder and may get the pressure up.
I don't want to do anything that may hurt the wife----or me.
I think my thinking on this is correct but I am not sure.
All my 45 acp cases are all different lengths but I don't think this is the same.

Bullshop Junior
02-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I would not worry about it. Can you see .004" ? I say load em and shoot em!

sagacious
02-02-2010, 09:23 PM
I just looked at some 32 acp cases and noticed that some are about 7 to 8 thou. to short.
All my 45 acp cases are all different lengths but I don't think this is the same.
Gray Wolf,
32ACP is semi-rimmed. The slightly short cases have no effect on anything. Load to recommended OAL and you will not change the internal volume, and there will be zero affect on pressure. No problem at all. Load, shoot, enjoy.

45ACP cases are usually slightly short too, as are many other straight-wall auto cases. No worries in those instances either.

gray wolf
02-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Thank you for the info.
SAGACIOUS could you explain about the semi rimmed case and how it enters in the equation please.

Thank you

sagacious
02-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Gray Wolf,
That the case is semi-rimmed eases a few concerns in reloaded semi-auto ammuntion. You don't have to worry about weak firing pin hits on short brass. You don't have to worry about how the reloaded ammo headspaces as a function of case length, since it headspaces on the rim. Also, the variable crimp due to variable case length will not affect chambering or functioning, and crimp strength cannot affect chamber pressure in the same way that it can with a case that headspaces on the mouth (in a situation where the crimp enters the leade).

One thing I know for sure, is that when my girl and I are at the shooting range, the last thing I want is any kind of ammo-reliability problem when she's shooting handloaded ammo. The same would be true in a defensive situation. I reckon the same concerns may enter into the equation for you as well.

As to variable case length or short cases affecting pressure, as long as you load to the recommended OAL, you won't be changing the available internal case volume. And since the 32ACP is semi-rimmed, you can use either a roll or taper crimp for cast bullets.

Hope this helps, good shooting! :drinks:

KCSO
02-02-2010, 11:04 PM
If I remember right Waters noted this in Pet Loads. I have new brass and it is a tad short too. As others said no problem it won't make any difference. And just for the pot I have gotten better accuracy from cast Lee bullets than I ever did with factory fmj's.

jcwit
02-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Use it, 6 to 7 thousands is VERY small. A sheet of magazine paper is 3 thousands, you're talking 2 sheets of paper. Avarage human hair is 5 thousands depending of color and person. Nothing to worry about.

Bret4207
02-03-2010, 06:54 AM
The boys are giving you the straight scoop. While I too enjoy having all my cases the same length, sometimes "ya gots ta work wiff whut ya gots". The 32 S+W, S+W Long and the 32-20 seem to do the same thing- grow unevenly and some seem to shrink a bit. Weird.

You could trim them all to the same length, but I really don't know if it would make things better, except in your head. Your choice, I'd probably end up trimming 50 and see if they shoot markedly better than untrimmed.

gray wolf
02-03-2010, 09:10 AM
OK men, I guess I should have known the case was semi rimmed. Duh!
Great explanations and I will proceed.

Thank you again

GW.

TCLouis
02-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Strange as it may sound under any normal circumstance the length of the case does not determine the powder capacity of the case, the overall length does and that is independent of case length.

It will take a minute or two of thinking to visualize the relationships how they are determinedand which are dependent and which are independent.