PDA

View Full Version : Choice

c.robertson
02-02-2010, 07:59 PM
I read about various lead sources and prices in this area: Wheel weight, Linotype, pure lead, etc.

Would not range trap lead be far better than wheel weights, or even linotype?

The local recycler pays .35 cents a pound for wheel weights, and they are pretty clean. They pay .40 cents a pound for 'clean' lead such as pipe & shething. They will sell it for a five cent profit. I lucked out and bought 80 pounds of 'clean' lead, already cast in irregular weight ingots.

Ole
02-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Depends on what you're using it for.

What makes WW alloy so special is you can water quench/heat treat the bullets to make them much harder.

lwknight
02-02-2010, 09:41 PM
If you can buy lead sheathing at $0.50 or less , you should take out a bank load and buy all that there exists. Lead ingots will bring $1.00 per pound at the drop of a hat.
It will cost you over $1.25 to get lead delivered if you buy a ton minimum.

Definitely nothing wrong with trap lead.
Linotype makes beautiful boolits but its too hard and a waste of lino to not mix it with lead.
Linotype is a good economic source of tin and antimony.

runfiverun
02-02-2010, 09:58 PM
the range scrap is what?
whatever was shot last go round.
22's maybe,, some cast stuff from ww's or commercial,or jacketed, maybe some swaged.
don't sound too consistent unless you can do a specific gravity and hardness guess at it's contents.

c.robertson
02-02-2010, 10:10 PM
the range scrap is what?
22's maybe,, some cast stuff from ww's or commercial,or jacketed, maybe some swaged.
don't sound too consistent unless you can do a specific gravity and hardness guess at it's contents.

Yes, all the above on the bullet trap lead. There is very little copper jacket material. Almost all the jackets seperate and does not go into the area we harvest the lead from.
But I think I will go back and buy the rest of the lead sewer pipe. Just can't help but think what has gone through them. YUCK

lwknight
02-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Smelt it outdoors LOL! Once melted and shimmed , whatever was will be excatly WAS

fredj338
02-03-2010, 03:35 PM
the range scrap is what?
Of course for handgun practice bullets, you don't need certified alloy. If you can melt it & cast it, it will shoot just fine.

runfiverun
02-03-2010, 10:29 PM
for general fun type stuff it's fine, especially if you can get it for a good price.
or have the ability to modify/sort it ,and get a fairly consistent bhn from it.
you can always blend it with ww's at a 25 or so ratio and be happy with close enough, most handguns at normal ranges don't know the diff.
and some extra lino can be added to the really soft batches.
it's workable just not too consistent and might cause accuracy/leading issues from the blue.

sqlbullet
02-04-2010, 11:57 AM
The biggest issue with range scrap is knowing what you got. With most other sources, you can be reasonably certain of the alloy. Range scrap can vary widely. For instance, one guy on here (I can't remember who) casts zinc bullets. It works great for him, but I don't want zinc in my lead. Would not want his range scrap.

Best is to get a source that is stable over time. WW provided that. With a stable source, you can work up bullets, sizes, lubes and load that work in your guns, and stick with them.