PDA

View Full Version : Cast and Jacketed?

Trappererick
02-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Considering giving some cast bullets a try in a rifle that I have only shot jacketed in. How important is it to get out all cooper fouling before shooting the cast bullets? they will be gas checked if that makes a difference.

Thanks

wiljen
02-02-2010, 08:03 PM
You'll get people in the camp that it is required and others in the camp that it is completely unnecessary along with another group that believes the truth lies somewhere in between. I'd shoot it and see how it does. If it doesn't perform to your liking, clean it out good and try it again.

dragonrider
02-02-2010, 08:22 PM
I am in the first camp, if you are changing from jacketed to cast or cast to jacketed start with as clean a barrel as you can get.

02-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Trappererick,

If you decide to clean it, try Montana Extreme Copper Killer. It has more ammonia than Sweet's 7.62, though Sweet's is a thicker solution.

Follow the directions.

HORNET
02-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Sometimes it makes a difference, sometimes it doesn't seem to matter. I think part of it is how the copper fouling is distributed, how even it is, and the velocity/alloy/fit thing. One of those gun-to-gun variance things that'll drive you nuts. Think of it this way: If you get all the copper out and groups are poor, you've eliminated one possible cause. If groups are fine, then you can get it copper fouled again and see if it matters.

docone31
02-02-2010, 08:44 PM
I agree with Hornet.
Fire a few. See what happens.
I got such miserable results when I first started, I went to paper patching. Now I paper patch and do not fire pop-gun loads. I run them full tilt.
Bore shines like a mirror.

Trappererick
02-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks. It all sounds pretty straight forward. I will try a few and see how they do. If they shoot then no need to mess with success. I know in my pistols I can switch back and forth with no problems, but I do clean the bore pretty regular and like to keep it clean just as a matter of routine maintenance.

Bret4207
02-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Depends on the gun. My FR-8 doesn't care at all, my '03 requires a pristine barrel. Shoot 'em and see.

Wayne Smith
02-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Personally I would remove all copper simply to remove one variable. If they do not shoot I know it is not the copper and I can look at other issues (fit, hardness, lube, etc.) one at a time.

BOOM BOOM
02-03-2010, 07:43 PM
HI,
I clean when I switch eather way Cu to Pb, or Pb to Cu.