PDA

View Full Version : Melting pot ruined??

41mag
02-02-2010, 06:02 PM
I purchased a Lee Pro 4-20 quite a few years ago, well before deciding that I would ever cast my own boolits.

The thing was actually purchased to make up heavy casting and surf weights for fishing for shark and other large species.

So I have run many pounds of assorted lead, but mostly wheel weights, through, either by first melting them in a bigger pot and pouring them into ingots, or by simply adding the weights or other pieces of lead, to what I already had made when it melted to have enough to pour several 8oz through 3# weights.

Now that I am considering making my own boolits, is there any special procedure that I need to consider doing to the Lee pot, before melting properly prepared ingots, and pouring my new molds full?

I have seen folks say not to melt weights in the pot, and was wandering if I had messed this thing up and need to get another one?

Thanks,

osage
02-02-2010, 06:13 PM
In the past I have used my 10lb Lee bottom pour to melt all my range pick up's, sheet lead, ect. What I did to clean up was to empty the pot and dumped out the dirt/dust. I now use a cast iron pot and turkey fryer to melt and make alloys. It helps kept the bottom pour working longer.

docone31
02-02-2010, 06:18 PM
You have not ruined it.
Just crank up the heat, get the lead out, clean the sides, bottom, spout.
Melt lead elsewhere, put the fined ingots into the pot, and cast away!!!!
They are pretty forgiving.

41mag
02-02-2010, 06:27 PM
You have not ruined it.
Just crank up the heat, get the lead out, clean the sides, bottom, spout.
Melt lead elsewhere, put the fined ingots into the pot, and cast away!!!!
They are pretty forgiving.

Thats the type answers I was hoping for, not "yep you screwed the pooch, might as well pick up a new one".

There isn't no tellin how many pounds have been through that thing, but a BUNCH. I am hoping to put a BUNCH more through it as well and this time I will pay much better attention to what goes through it.

Thanks.

Railbuggy
02-02-2010, 06:35 PM
My first pot was a Lee 10lb bottom pour that I melted everything in for fifteen years.It still works for my brother now.I got the 4-20 now.

Shiloh
02-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Don't smelt lead in it. This is really hard on the pot. When I did that once, it took a while to get the spout working properly again.

Shiloh

qajaq59
02-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Once you get the grit and grime out it'll do fine.

cbrick
02-05-2010, 03:20 AM
You didn't ruin it, simply caused yourself a headache getting it cleaned up. The only real reason to not smelt in your main casting pot is because it adds all sorts of dirt & grime & who knows what into what you want to use your clean lead in, it can also cause the spout to clog up reducing flow or worse. Once you get it properly cleaned up it'll be fine.

Rick

Phat Man Mike
02-05-2010, 03:57 AM
I'd just get it hot clean it out and use cleaned ingot's in it for boolit's .. IMO

lwknight
02-05-2010, 04:10 AM
I'd buy a new pot. You will need one to pre melt stuff to feed the new one. Just joking,,
I did buy a second pot just because its easier than clearing one out to shange alloys.
I keep 10 pound ingots and sometimes melt in one pot and dip out of it to feed the one that I'm casting with.

lwknight
02-05-2010, 04:10 AM
I'd buy a new pot. You will need one to pre melt stuff to feed the new one. Just joking,,
I did buy a second pot just because its easier than clearing one out to shange alloys.
I keep 10 pound ingots and sometimes melt in one pot and dip out of it to feed the one that I'm casting with.

eka
02-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Nope, hopelessly ruined, just send it to me for proper disposal. :bigsmyl2:

I just wanted to add a couple of things about cleaning your pot. Once you have it drained and it cools. You can use a steel brush to scrub the crud out of it. This is one of the times when you can pretty easily expose yourself to some lead contamination through the dust that comes from brushing your pot out. So, make sure you take it outside and stand so the wind carries any dust away from you. A dust mask would be in order here too. That should be all that you need to do. If you have any issues with the spout when draining the pot, you can use a heavy paperclip or something similar held in vise grips to clean out the spout. Also the vice grips work nicely to attach to the rod on the top of your pot when casting to add some extra weight and cut down on the spout dripping. Also, take some time and search and read about using kitty litter on top of your melt when casting. Sounds crazy, but works great and keeps you from ever having to flux if you use only clean ingots.

Keith

Slow Elk 45/70
02-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Hullo, buy yourself a cast iron dutch oven to smelt in, go to the Goatlips sticky for good information on the process, you haven't ruined your bottom pour clean it up as stated , and yes it is hard on the pot and makes a mess when you smelt in the same pot you pour from. Good Luck :groner: