PDA

View Full Version : Limited lube test before next shoot

44man
06-08-2006, 04:43 PM
I went down today and tried a lot of lubes for group and SD. I started with Shaver's and it shot the worst with a 4-1/8" 200 yard group, (vertical flyers) SD was 6.7, ES 14.8.
Next was soft lube Gard mix at 2-3/4", SD 4.4, ES 10.2. Harder Lube Gard mix was 2-3/8" SD 4.3, ES 11.3. I have a mystery mix that I forgot what was in it and it went 4", SD 9.6, ES 24.1.
Then I tried Emmerts with 5 parts beeswax, 3 parts Crisco, 1 part lanolin and 1 part Canola. This stuff was great with a 2-3/8" group and an SD of 1.6, ES 4 fps.
I tried a lot of other stuff too and most were in a little over 2-3/8" to 2-1/2" but none were as bad as Shavers.
It looks like Emmerts will go to the next shoot with me.
For all of you that think the lube doesn't matter, there is a great difference. It is more important then drop tubes, vibrating, compression and even the boolit you use.
Next is the primer used. The LP mag seems to be the best so far. Now I have to combine the LP mag with Emmerts.
It took me a while because one of my little dogs was getting strokes. The first left her blind. It got worse until she had the big one and she died on me. I have been devastated and every time I think of her, I break up. It is hard to shoot with tears pouring. I will never get over the loss.

13Echo
06-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the update on your trials. I have shot original Emmert's (without lanolin) and it fouled badly. Using the Emmert's formula but substituting lanolin for the crisco keeps the fouling soft and the accuracy is good. Lanolin seems to be the critical ingredient.

Sorry about your dog. They bring you great joy and then break your heart.

Jerry Liles

Dale53
06-08-2006, 09:56 PM
I shot straight Emmert's for fifteen years in Black Powder Cartridge Rifles. Then I starte Schuetzen shooting and had really good luck with Emmert's with both the .32/40 BP, 32/40 smokeless, and .32/.357 Dell with smokeless.

I now modify it by substituting half of the Canola oil with Anhydrous Lanolin. I have found nothing better.

Dale53

Nrut
06-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Where does one find Anhydrous Lanolin or just Lanolin for that matter???...thanks

13Echo
06-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Try Google and your local pharmacy. Anhydrous lanolin is what you want.

Gussy
06-09-2006, 11:41 AM
What was the temp and humidity like durring your tests??
Gus

44man
06-09-2006, 03:14 PM
I didn't check but it must have been 80 to 85 degrees with 70% humidity. Just going by feel and sweat.

lar45
06-15-2006, 01:52 AM
http://www.thesage.com/
I buy my lanolin here. It is about the cheapest source I've found, and they are rather nice to deal with. They send small samples of fruity hand lotion for the wife.

I am sorry to hear about your dog. We had our old mother Boxer, Ginger, pass away a couple of months ago(bad heart, boxer cardio miopathy). She was a very important part of our family. She had puppies about 1 month after our 7yo son Erin was born. When he would cry or fuss, she would get up from her puppies to see what he needed. Many times he would fall alseep on the floor snugled up to her.

About a month ago my best friend from high school died from a massive brain anurism(sp). He dropped dead at 40, running water for a bath in the morning. I was much more composed at his funeral then I was at Gingers...

My 45-70 Sharps import should be here this week(hopefuly). I need to find some more pure lead. I probably only have 40-50 lbs.

44man
06-20-2006, 01:18 PM
I went to the shoot on Sat and shot a 25. Most misses were the conditions. (And those stupid chickens, never seen my gun wobble so much.)
The thing I can't figure is on the first five, I could see the targets fine but on the second five they were blurry and out of shape. Some I could not see at all, just a discolored area with no definition. I even had to hunt around to make sure I was on the right target. Old age is hell!
The Emmerts lube worked OK but I had much more crud in the barrel. The patches I pushed through were full of black crud. The muzzle was dry. Looks like I have to try Lar's and Bullshop lube. Tough when money is hard to come by.