PDA

View Full Version : Any reports on Hornady Ultrasonic Cleaner

prs
02-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Maybe too early for any feedback or maybe its not even on store shelves yet; but if you hav eused it, hows it going? I much prefer wet cleaning to dry due to lack of dust and cleaner internal cases and cleaner primer pockets. I'm hoping the new ultrasonic unit will work without media, thus no media in primer pockets.

prs

jonk
02-03-2010, 05:24 PM
No, but I've used ultrasonics to clean before.

The Hornady unit is intriguing in that it advertises holding up to 100 .308 cases. Generally the more you put in, the slower the ultrasonics clean. At $99 (midway) if it really holds that many, that's a great price for a largr cleaner.

But their cleaning solution at $25/QUART? That leaves something to desire. Like a $3 gallon jug of white vinegar.

Edubya
02-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Before you go making an investment like that you should learn a little about a household cleaning agent that is safe and very effective, cream of tartar. It is used as a safe metal cleaning agent. It might even be good as a solution in an ultrasonic cleaner.
Just do a Google search on: "cream of tartar cleaning agent".
EW

yondering
02-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Can't comment on the Hornady unit, but just an FYI: a "good" ultrasonic cleaner will remove anodizing from certain types of aluminum, which can be dissapointing when your beautifully anodized part comes out dull gray. [smilie=1:

jsizemore
02-03-2010, 10:02 PM
I've been doing the ultrasonic cleaning thing for about 2 years now. The Hornady machine looks to be exactly the same as my Chicago electric power tools Item # 93035 that I bought for considerably less then Hornady is asking. I got it at Harbour Freight. With a 20% off coupon from your NRA magazine, you'll beat that Hornady price. Here's a link to an article with recipes. www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html
I use the clean and shiny method. I have some multi fired LC brass that came out shiny inside and out. Good luck