PDA

View Full Version : cleaning tumbling media...

mannyCA
02-02-2010, 02:14 PM
I've been using some plastic bead blasting material in my tumble cleaner for some time now with excellent results, brass ends up shiny and even the insides get a good scrubbing. I usually throw a sheet of dryer towel in there to pick up and trap any small material but now the lube I use to resize is starting to build up. I was thinking of maybe some 409, dish soap or something along those lines Was wondering if anyone who uses the same thing ever cleaned it, mine is starting to get awfully dirty and was wanted to get some opinions for you guys.
thanks.

RobS
02-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Never though about using plastic bead blasting material for media, but sounds good to use Dawn soap and hot water. Hot water is probably the trick though as it will loosen up the dirt and grime along with the lube that is in the media so the soap can work fully.

Whatever you do let us know how it goes.

Smokin7mm
02-02-2010, 02:33 PM
What type of plastic bead blasting material are you using? How small is it? Will it clean the primer pockets and not get stuck in the flash hole. Lastly, where did you purchase it?

As for cleaning it. What ever will disolve the resizing lube. Some are water soluable some are not. I usually try to get most of the lube off before tumbling for the same reason. In the walnut or corn cob media it loads up but you cant clean it. I take a large towel, dump the sized brass in it, fold it up and gently roll the casings to remove most of the lube before tumbling. If as synthetic media works and you could clean it that would be awsome. I looked into some ceramic polishing media but couldnt find anything quite small enough and it was expensive!!

Bret

mannyCA
02-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Its a hard plastic type mix used for removing paint. Works excellently in my tumbler and have been using the same amount, about 4lbs, for about a year now with maybe 15,000 thousand of shells cleaned. Got it off flea bay, I know, I know, but being limited to what I can get here in my town left me no choice. Cost was about 25.50 shipped for 10lbs. which I think will last me at least 4-5 more years at the rate I clean.

heres the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/Plastic-Blasting-Blast-Media-Urea-Paint-Remover-Type-II_W0QQitemZ330338354613QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item4ce9b345b5

prs
02-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Are you using this wet? If so, just add a pinch of trisodioum phosphate (automatic dishwasher powder) to the slury of media/water. The water will carry away the dust and oils and leave the plastic media clean. If using it dry, be careful about the dust as you sift the caes, that dust probably has significant lead staphinate residue. Several vigratory case cleaners can be used with wet media, you will like it. Thumbler's Tumbler might be super-dup with a wet slurry of that bead blasting media in there.

prs