PDA

View Full Version : lyman # 45 lube sizer press

ugotit33
02-02-2010, 09:23 AM
I just got an old Lyman # 45 Lube and Sizer Press.
Does any one have the break down parts list on this.
Does anyone have one ?
Is there suppose to be a nut when you take the cap off
of the lube cylinder some where inside.
I do not understand how turning the top hex rod can put
pressure on the lube unless the threads on the rod work like
a screw augar?
I need some in put here please.
I heated the lube tube and got all the old thick **** out.
Does the rod come out?
Does the lube tube come off ?
HELP

cheese1566
02-02-2010, 10:01 AM
I just got an old Lyman # 45 Lube and Sizer Press.
Does any one have the break down parts list on this. Send me your email.
Does anyone have one ?Yes, they are pretty common.
Is there suppose to be a nut when you take the cap off
of the lube cylinder some where inside. Yes, pressure nut like the Lyman 450 and 4500, they will interchange.
I do not understand how turning the top hex rod can put
pressure on the lube unless the threads on the rod work like
a screw augar? (Yep, the rod is threaded and pivots in the base of the luber to spin freely.
I need some in put here please.
I heated the lube tube and got all the old thick **** out.
Does the rod come out? Yes, once the pressure nut is removed, the threaded rod will freely come out of the hole on the underside of the base.
Does the lube tube come off ?Yes, but it over 50 years old! and finely threaded. I suggest lightly heating it to soften the old lubes and gunk and use hand pressure only-no wrenches!!

I'll help you out! Send me a PM!!!

ebg3
02-02-2010, 10:03 AM
There is a rubber/metal threaded washer that pushes the lube down when you turn the threaded rod counter clockwise. It is under the metal cap...if you turn the rod clockwise, the washer will unscrew and come out the top. If it is there.
EG

Duckiller
02-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Strongly suggest that you call Lyman Customer Service. They are nice people and can help with parts lists and other information. Most manufacturers of reloading equipment have customer service departments that are very helpful. Some send too many free parts that we should probably pay for others will charge for parts to fix equipment that we buy used. It has been my experience that they all will send good instructions for free and answer questions that we didn't know we needed to ask.

Pressman
02-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Does anyone have a spare cross bolt to hold the handle to the carrier??? I am missing one. It is a fine thread, shoulder bolt so off the shelf does not work so well.
Ken

Gunfixer
02-02-2010, 09:20 PM
I will post that I have a Ideal #38 and a Lyman #41 manual that has text and minimal pics to set one up but cheese got you covered
Cheese1566, is that the same unit before and after? if so, nice work
Oh yeah, I have one too (#45)

cheese1566
02-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Pressman, If I recall, mine was stripped. I think I ended up using a fine threaded 1/4"-28 bolt with a bushing in the handle hole.

I guess the parts listing I have is a .pdf document of the old instructions. May be the same list on the forum in the stickies. It is the instructions and lists the major components.

Thanks, for the compliment. That is mine before and after cleanup, polish and repaint.

imashooter2
02-02-2010, 11:40 PM
The manual is linked in a sticky in the "Casting Equipment" forum.

It's hard to find... It's called "manual for a Lyman 45."[smilie=1:

220swiftfn
02-03-2010, 03:20 AM
hehehe.... Yep, I think all the bases have been covered, if you can't find the manual, i have it in pdf....

BTW Cheese, thanks, you made me redo mine, but the paint didn't turn out as nice.....
I have 3 of them thanks to all you guys........ but I can stop whenever I want to, really I can.

Does anybody know the years when they made changes?? Eg: slotted to solid cap, round screw lever link to hex bolt to pivot pin?? Just curious because I think mine cover just about the whole run??

Dan