PDA

View Full Version : Taracorp

JDBrowning
02-01-2010, 10:05 PM
I came across several bars of Taracorp lead and am having trouble finding out it's composition. Can anyone help!

Description printed on the bar: Taracorp T T T T 2 5/8 %, bar is approx 1/4" X 3/8" and is 13" long probably about 1/4 lb. Tried to access Taracorp on the internet but it would not come up. Other sites show solder similar to this and the % or lead and tin can vary greatly.

LAH
02-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Can't bring the site up neither......................Creeker

mastercast.com
02-02-2010, 11:11 AM
As far as I know Taracorp went out of business several years ago.

I think Mayco bought Taracorp and the facility is still located in Granite City, IL. If I am right about that, perhaps Mayco can identify the composition of the Taracorp alloy you have.

wiljen
02-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Pretty sure Taracorp still operates out of Atlanta and Winston Salem. Maybe they just sold off the Illinois plant.

JDBrowning
02-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the replies. Gained some information today. Was able to get a Taracorp Phone number and they said it should be either 50/50,40/60 or 60/40 as that is all they make. They couldn't tell me what the 2 5/8% was. What I have is apparently several years old. Everyone is correct, all of these companies have been sold,traded and the headquarters have moved. Taracorp operates as Taracorp-Imaco but still has an office under Taracorp if you can find it. Thanks