PDA

View Full Version : RCBS size dies in Lyman 4500

Marvin S
02-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I thought that the RCBS sizeing dies where supposed to work in the Lyman 4500 lubrisizer but my two new dies wont fit. They are about .005 too fat at the lower portion of the die and lack seating by about .5in . Am I missing something here or what?:groner:

Calamity Jake
02-02-2010, 09:49 AM
I thought that the RCBS sizeing dies where supposed to work in the Lyman 4500 lubrisizer but my two new dies wont fit. They are about .005 too fat at the lower portion of the die and lack seating by about .5in . Am I missing something here or what?:groner:

I don't think that .005 difference in OD is causing the problem.
It's more like the chamfer at the bottom being to small and/or over all length of the RCBS dies.
I haven't bought any NEW lube size dies in a long time, maybe RCBS has changed theres a little.

Marvin S
02-02-2010, 07:26 PM
The bottom portion of the sizer well is machined to closely fit the bottom third part of the sizer and this .005 difference will not allow it to fit and seat in the sizer press. I called RCBS and the woman said she has heard of this and is checking it out and took my contact info. So RCBS is supposed to let me know what the deal is.

Marvin S
02-02-2010, 08:09 PM
I took my two new dies to the shop and chucked them up in the lathe and polished the tool marks out and reduced the size by .003 and then they fit fine. The RCBS dies are lathe turned and not finished very well. The H&I dies are precision ground. I sent this info to RCBS so maybe they will fix the problem.

02-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Marvin S,

Not holding your breath, are you?

Marvin S
02-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Naw but I got mine fixed and working. She seemed interested in fixing the problem so maybe it will help. I have had good service from RCBS in the past, so thought I would let them know.

02-02-2010, 11:31 PM
I agree with you about their service.

RobS
02-03-2010, 12:26 AM
I had the same problem here and all I did was carefully grind down with a sanding wheel that fits on a hand grinder. I worked a little off at a time until the die would fit. Kind of a PIA, but really not a big deal I guess. It is what it is as my wife always says.

Rob