PDA

View Full Version : Another C-H primer catcher, but for the back door

Swagerman
06-08-2006, 11:49 AM
I was making a room search for a primer catcher for Manley C-H press I thought I had but proved futile in results.

But did manage to find another one that is slightly different but mounts in the middle rear station but very difficult to get at. I had completely forgotten I'd made this item from years ago.

The primer cup is a removable to dump primers in trash, but your fingers have to be that of a contortionist because of the lack of room to have removal access.

Jim

Bucks Owin
06-08-2006, 12:25 PM
I like it!

Looks more well engineered than my dented up sardine can setup...
(even WITH the black paintjob!) :-D

Dennis

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/Pacif002.jpg

Swagerman
06-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Hey, I like that sardine can primer catcher, looks great. But do you have trouble keeping the cats away from it so you can use the press. :mrgreen:

That old press sure brings back some early reloading memories. :)

Jim

scrapcan
06-08-2006, 11:23 PM
See this is why I like this board. Even teh sam e people can come up with diffrent ways of doing things.

Jim,

I appreciate the help on teh primer catcher. May not seem like a big deal to some, but when you are dealing with a press that is built as solid as the C-H H frame presses it takes some ingenuity to get things to fit and be usable. When I get one of the catchers mounted I will take a picture.

Bucks,

I used a small vienna sausage can (my grand mother loved those things and there are still a zillion cans around with odds and ends of nails, bolts, etc..) with a hole in it on a lyman o mag until i was able to drum up a primer catcher from lyman. And I hate to say it but the can works far better than the black plastic engineered item that I paid for.

Jeremy

Swagerman
06-09-2006, 08:22 AM
Jeremy, the above primer catcher pictured will be in the mail today.

If you've got the older C-H 'H press' it should mount OK in the middle station as I remember they kind of set back a bit from the front two. Only thing is I can't remember how the roller cam linkage is placed.

You might still be able to make the first one I showed here on the forum that rises and falls with the shellholder platform.

Got a picture of your old H press.

Jim

scrapcan
06-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Jim,

I haven't had a chance to snap off a few pictures yet. Hope to get it done this weekend. I will post when I get them sized down. Right now I have a single stage one station C-H Magnum H- frame mounted on the reloading bench. This is the press I am going to install the primer catcher on first.

From emails with C-H, it looks like the rear hole on the various C-H H presses are in the same location. So we will see what happens when I try to install item sthat you designed for the 4 station press.

Thanks again.

Jeremy

Swagerman
06-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Ahhh, I see clearly now what your press looks like. The H frame has one shellholder station.

I wouldn't think it would be much of a problem to mount either one on your shellholder platform.

Always wanted one of those H-frame C-H press's but the ebay auction prices are out of my budget league.

Don't know why everyone wants to rack up the bidding on those old goodies...dang it all. :mrgreen:

Jim

scrapcan
06-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Jim,

I know what you mean about the pricing on these old presses. I had watched for a 3 or 4 station for a couple of years, you could buy new for what most were going for.

I lucked onto the single station that I have, I paid $30 and got the universal x shell holder with it. I like the press a lot. With it mounting on the top of the bench it is in a better position and the handle is not always snagging you when you walk by.

Another press that I would like to find is an H style inline progressive for pistol loading. I have only seen one and I bought a dillon 550b for less money.

I was pointed toward the Antique Reloading Tool Association by Floodgate on this forum. Boy are there some good discussions on old equipment over there.
If you haven't visited that site, the link is

http://www.antiquereloadingtools.com/

Swagerman
06-09-2006, 08:55 PM
Tried to make a hook up with that link you gave, but it rejected my registry attemps, bloody buggers. :mrgreen:

Jeremy, here's another idea for your C-H H-press to mount a primer catcher, its from my AA press and easy to make.

The catcher receptical is made from a cut-off plastic pill bottle, the brass shim plate is bent to conform to the shellholder platform and a small screw and nut keep it attached to the brass. The knurled knob keeps the brass plate atttached until catcher gets full...then empty it out in trash can.

This picture also shows up close the J-X Lyman shellholder conversion gizmo.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P7110026croppedbrite.jpg

scrapcan
06-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Jim,

If my link doesn't work for you, just do a search in your favorite search engine for antique reloading tool association or antique reloading tools. You should not have a problem with the link coming up.

If you have trouble let me know. Floodgate here on teh forum can help you since he is a member. I have printed off the application and just need to get it mailed off. Looks like there is more info for members to peruse, including a newsletter.

Jeremy

scrapcan
06-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Jim,

I haven't tested the primer catcher on the press yet, but here is a picture of the press.

Swagerman
06-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Jeremy, that is an excellent looking C-H single station press, really nice condition.

But in looking at the picture I've got my doubts the primer catcher I sent you will work in it...but I could be wrong.

However, if you have the time, do construct the primer catcher that I sent you the patterns for. The one that automatically dumps the primers into a cup below. That should work just fine for you.

Let us see a picture if you do make and mount one on your fine press.

Another touch I did to my C-H 4-D press was to add a Dillon knob to the handle, though the C-H handle had to have die thread done to it to take the knob...but works well for me.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PA060033C-HLymanpress.jpg

scrapcan
06-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Jim,

I took a few minutes ont eh way out the door this morning, I think it will be fine. I do like the automatic primer drop lik eyou have mounted. When I get a chance I am going to try and fab one up.

I had been watching this press for some time and finally was able to get a low ball price and snapped it up. Now if I could only do that with a Lyman all american turret. If I found one in teh shape of the one in your picture I would have to explain why I need another press when I already have 2 extras sitting on floor with no room to mount.

Thanks for the parts and the plans. They are going to come in handy.

Jeremy

scrapcan
06-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Jim,

What is the other aftermarket item attached to right from of base on your press, I you don't mind if I ask? Is it to lube cases with?

And is that a lee bullet push tru die mounted in teh right hand station?

Swagerman
06-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Ahhh! The old Herters brass case luber, a relic of a by gone era of the late 50s.

And yes, that is a .430 Lee lube sizer punch. I have three of them...430, 452, and 454 diameter.

Ever since the Carbide sizing dies came into being it don't get much use these days. But it still works if needed on rifle brass...which I very seldom load anymore.

This C-H 4-D press has more non C-H parts than most of my other presses.

Did you happen to notice the shellholder coller rings with hex screws, or the Dillon 450 manual powder measure. A real flop eared outfit, but its mine. :)

If you do ever find an AA press, just take it apart and give it a paint job like I did. But I did it right, put cones of rolled up paper in all the screw holes, and taped the shaft.

Jim

scrapcan
06-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Jim,

I did notice the dillon powder measure, hard to miss the distinct shape. Did you customize so it is case activated?

I also noticed the shell holders. Are you using lee shelholders in custom turned inserts? That would make using the four stations a resonable proposition. I have shied away from some multistage presses that have seperate shell holders due to not wanting to buy three or four holders.

The brass primer catcher for your lyman looks like it would be a nice way to go also. If the other catcher designs don't work I may improve upon your design (keeps you away from copy right infingement don't you know).

Jeremy

Swagerman
06-16-2006, 08:51 PM
The C-H 4-D press uses standard industry shellholders, you can use any brand you may wish too.

I made the coller hex rings because the snap rings were not good at keeping their retention on the shellholders.

The Dillon 450 manual powder measure is stock except for a powder through case mouth belling die.

Jim