PDA

View Full Version : LR Primers...... I'm out. :(

AviatorTroy
02-01-2010, 02:20 PM
I have played with some really light loads IE 5 gr. Bullseye in the rifle cases with pistol primers and haven't had one pierce yet, but I'm afraid the game is over for me until I can find some more LR primers and of course no one around here has any.

Any ideas?

:killingpc

AviatorTroy
02-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Let me ask another question. I HATE to even go here because I cant stand shooting their military reject loads but what about Wolf primers themselves, which seem to be available....

burfurd
02-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Every report I have seen on the Wolf primers has been good. No problems have been reported. Have not used them myself as I have several in stock. :smile:

burfurd

Landric
02-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Powder Valley has CCI LR 7.62 primers and Wolf LR primers in stock:

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Wideners has Wolf LR in stock:

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7276&dir=278|284|737

I use Wolf Primers all the time. They work just fine, though they seem to be a little harder than most US primers, I've never found that to be a problem in a rifle or a factory sprung handgun. My preference is for US primers (mostly Federal), but when Wolf is either cheaper or the other brands are unavailable (like now), I have no problem using Wolf.

Lead Fred
02-01-2010, 02:57 PM
It seems we are being forced to buy primers on-line so there is a record of where they go.

Duckiller
02-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Have used Wolf SR primers and have had no problems. Have had problems with Wolf ammo. The primers did their job. If they are the only ones available I would definitely try them out.

Ben
02-01-2010, 05:23 PM
I bought 5 K, Wolf , LR primers about 3 months ago from Widner's. Not a single problem with them.

Ben

ANeat
02-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Aviator Troy I see youre in Cincy, most of the local gunshows have had primers available. Im not 100% sure on the local stores.

If you cant find any like the others have mentioned, just mail order some. There are a few guys here in the Cincy area. If you wanted to get up a "group buy" Im sure you may get some guys to join in.

Ill check at the store near me tomorrow but its about 45 minutes east of Cincinnati

LAH
02-01-2010, 06:34 PM
I have played with some really light loads IE 5 gr. Bullseye in the rifle cases with pistol primers and haven't had one pierce yet, but I'm afraid the game is over for me until I can find some more LR primers and of course no one around here has any.

Any ideas?

:killingpc

I'm about ready to make an order. Would you like to split some Wolf's? I'm in WV. The same for anyone else in driving distance of Beckley..................Creeker

Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood

AviatorTroy
02-01-2010, 06:41 PM
ANeat, I was able to score Large and Small Pistol primers at the gun show last month, but all they had was the Wolf in LR and I wasn't sure I was that desparate yet. I've read all around that most people think they are great, if a little hard, but that might not negatively affect my shooting because most of my reloads are for MilSurp bolt actions so they hit the primer pretty good. Ive had AWFUL luck with Wolf ammo in the Mini-30, and I've read that some places sell stronger firing pin springs for the Mini just for Wolf ammo.

I called every shop that Google could find in the Cincinnati area and everyone pretty much laughed when I asked them if they had any LR in stock.

Where are you East of Cincy? I grew up out there between Bethel and Georgetown.

And yes, whoever mentioned it, I try not to have components shipped because I just know the socialst ******** in office would love to keep track of where it is going. Also I am sort of offended by a 25$ hazmat fee....

johnly
02-01-2010, 07:04 PM
I use CCI LP primer in my 7.62x39 SAR-1 and AR-15 with 2400 and a 155gr NEI GC bullet. Works just fine. You might not want to run max loads with pistol primers, but given than many pistol cartridges have SAAMI max pressures pushing 40k, I don't think you'll have too many problems with reasonable CB loads.

John

Rockchucker
02-01-2010, 07:20 PM
C& Sporting Goods had a couple thousand in stock today if your interested. They're located in Panama City, Florida. They're # is 850-763-2317

ANeat
02-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Where are you East of Cincy? I grew up out there between Bethel and Georgetown. ....

Im out almost in Adams county, between Sardinia and Winchester. There is a good store in Hillsboro Ill check them tomorrow

AviatorTroy
02-01-2010, 08:05 PM
I'd drive out to Hillsboro if they have any.....

canebreaker
02-01-2010, 08:33 PM
I haven't had any problems with Wolf primers, on my 5th sleeve. I had a misfire the other day, after check what box it came from, it was a cci. Time to order more wolf primers from widener's.

Ekalb2000
02-01-2010, 11:51 PM
C& Sporting Goods had a couple thousand in stock today if your interested. They're located in Panama City, Florida. They're # is 850-763-2317

Thanks for the heads up, I will make a run tomorrow.

andy

targetshootr
02-01-2010, 11:53 PM
I have a brick of WLRs to swap but I'm in NC.

Ekalb2000
02-02-2010, 12:31 AM
targetshootr
I had a job back in the summer of 92 with Piedmont Tree service and stump removal.

LAH
Grew up in Nicholas and Webster county, graduated from Richwood. My dad lives over in Oak Hill.

small world.

troy, if they have any more primers I will let ya know, shipping is on me.

LAH
02-02-2010, 10:41 AM
LAH
Grew up in Nicholas and Webster county, graduated from Richwood. My dad lives over in Oak Hill.
small world.

I've done a lot of work over the last few years on the Chase Bank at Oak Hill. It's the old Merchants & Miners Bank. The old vault is still in the basement plus another vault with a dirt floor. HEE HEE

Johnch
02-02-2010, 11:19 PM
If you were up my way
The local hole in the wall gun shop has some

He even has a few K of Federal LR Match

John

warf73
02-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Our local Gander Mountain has them if you want to bend over and take up the !@$#% at $5.00 100 no matter if you buy 100 or 5k.

And unless you paying for your reloading stuffs with cash, big brother knows what you have bought.

Russ68
02-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Same price at Gander Mountain here... but I will say that it was nice to see some Winchester primers on the shelf - haven't seen them for more than a year and I almost thought Winchester got out of the primer business...

I just got a delivery of Wolf primers from Powder Valley, and lets just say I won't be needing primers any time soon ;) :lovebooli

GabbyM
02-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Sinclair Int has Remington primers today if you want to pay over $30 per K. Much better than $5 per C. I'm not that close to being out myself. My local reloading supply dealer still gets the 50K a month he has ordered for years. That's the number you can ship on one haz mat fee the way I understand it. All I'd need do is call him and get whatever I wanted out of next months order before they went to the gun shows.

AZ-Stew
02-03-2010, 03:46 PM
If you're up to a little road trip, Cabela's in Wheeling, WV, may have some. Give them a call. Our store in the Phoenix area had a bunch of primers last time I was in. The only thing they didn't have was SP. If the Wheeling store has what you want, have them hold a brick for you. Most of what they show on line is listed as 0-1 week delivery. Cabela's only charges a $20 hazmat fee, even if they have to ship your stuff separately, for instance primers now and powder in three weeks. It's all covered under a single $20 hazmat. Granted, their prices aren't rock bottom ($33-35/K), but at least they have them.

Regards,

Stew

ANeat
02-03-2010, 05:26 PM
I found him some, probably less than 1hr away depending on the part of Cincy he is in. Now he just has to go get them. He may have already;)

AviatorTroy
02-03-2010, 08:46 PM
ANeat, I hit it up today, you guys out there have a real neat place to go. I was pretty suprised how much stuff they had. Thanks again for the heads up on that one...

ANeat
02-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Glad to help, its a nice place to nose around for sure. Easy to get in trouble in a place like that ;)

AviatorTroy
02-03-2010, 08:52 PM
My girlfriend is looking for a Charter Arms .38 undercover and they had about 5 of them! :lol:

ANeat
02-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Probably shouldnt tell ya this, but they have lay-away

Buckshot
02-05-2010, 02:07 AM
Probably shouldnt tell ya this, but they have lay-away

..............Enablers of the world (or Cast Boolits) UNITE!

...............Buckshot

Dannix
02-06-2010, 12:55 AM
It seems we are being forced to buy primers on-line so there is a record of where they go.
Do you use Google? "They" know all about anyway if so.
http://www.google.com/search?q=google+teams+up+with+NSA