PDA

View Full Version : Bag Balm case lube.............?

3006guns
02-01-2010, 09:31 AM
No, not my idea......but I just saw an internet news item relating how this old, but trusted product is made. Seems their "plant" consists of only six employees, working Monday through Friday. No credit cards accepted and all records are kept on file cards in a cabinet...and they never hurt for business, especially in the winter.

Bag Balm itself is a mixture of petrolatum and lanolin, heated and poured into the little tins you see at the drugstore and supermarket. Although the original use was for soothing the irritated teats of cows, over the years people have found that it heals chapped hands, sores, stops squeaky hinges, reloads rifle shells...

Rifle shells? I reread the sentence again. It seems the company had at least one customer tell them that, so I would assume he used it for resizing cases. I've known for years that various liquid soaps and creams would work in a pinch, but never considered Bag Balm.

I live in a remote rural community with only one sporting goods store and sometimes you have to order things and wait. That can be irritating if you have a reloading project and suddenly realize you forgot to stock up on sizing lube or wax. Although I wouldn't try any massive reforming, it sounds like it would work for normal sizing if nothing else was available and your hands would be nice and soft as a bonus. Anyone ever tried it before?

1Shirt
02-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Grew up milking more holsteens than I care to think about, and bagbalm was the standard. I am a potter now, and use cornhuskers lotion mostly because clay drys out the skin so bad. However, have used bagbalm as well. Have also used just pure lanolin for case sizing in the past, and it worked well. See no reason why it would not work ok for sizing. Now will have to go get some and try it now that you have brought it up. Can't hurt to have some around in case I run out of cornhuskers. There are probably a lot of city types here that won't be familiar with what we are talking about.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Ajax
02-01-2010, 10:23 AM
i have always had a can of bag balm around. great for dry skin and chapped lips. Never thought about using it as a case lube. I have tried carmex as a case lube and it works well.

Andy

jimkim
02-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Ed Harris told me about it. I've been using it ever since. It works as good as anything I've seen.

thx997303
02-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Funny you should mention the carmex.

You're welcome. :kidding:

wallenba
02-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Yeah I just read that too, on yahoo, second paragraph down here... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100131/ap_on_re_us/us_bag_balm

Hardcast416taylor
02-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Growing up on a dairy farm in the middle of the last century we always seemed to have 3 or 4 of the clover leaf bag balm cans spread around the milking barns. A can was in the medicine cabinet in the farm house as well. We used it for about anything mechanical that required a little lubing if there was no other oil or lube handy. A good friend uses it on her frail bedridden mother to prevent bed sores. I`ll have to give the stuff a try for case lube.Robert

LAH
02-01-2010, 11:16 AM
. That can be irritating if you have a reloading project and suddenly realize you forgot to stock up on sizing lube or wax.

Let the bag balm smooth your irritation. HEE HEE

I have used Crisco......................Creeker

Marine Sgt 2111
02-02-2010, 01:57 AM
and here I thought the stuff was made for ex-wives.....hehehehehe

Bullshop Junior
02-02-2010, 03:47 AM
Posted Yesterday.............

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=74438

jonk
02-02-2010, 02:03 PM
I am one of these 'city types' of which you speak but am well versed in bag balm.

Never reloaded with it as I try to stay away from sticky oily things that require solvent to remove. However I see no reason it wouldn't work just fine.

I am a bit puzzled by this statement though: "I live in a remote rural community with only one sporting goods store and sometimes you have to order things and wait. That can be irritating if you have a reloading project and suddenly realize you forgot to stock up on sizing lube or wax."

I would agree, if you are in the middle of something, I too would go to the store. If they didn't have it though, I would certainly not order it through them. Why pay the middleman markup? Just order from Grafs or midway or something.

This isn't a criticism, just curiosity. My local gun shop has hit me with that too, when I ask something like "Got any 303 brit ammo?" To which he says "No, but I can order it." To which I answer, "Nah, if I have to wait I'll just order it myself and have it sent right to my house." In this day of the internet and 1 click ordering, does anyone still bother with having the STORE order it? How come?

Archer
02-02-2010, 07:33 PM
"In this day of the internet and 1 click ordering, does anyone still bother with having the STORE order it? How come? "

To save paying the outragious shipping some of the places
have. For instance, 13.95 shipping for a item that may cost
10.00 or less, and weigh a few ounces.

bruce drake
02-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Bag Balm.

I sliced my thigh wide open one day cutting baling twine while feeding the family's cows. Dad just said, here, let's slap some BB on it.

Now 25 years later I still sport a nice six inch scar on my right leg but the bleeding stopped and there wasn't an infection from the dirty old barn knife.!

Bruce

Bullshop Junior
02-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Just buy some good case lube!

A little container of Bull Size will last a LONG time, and its only $2.50 plus shipping.

Edubya
02-02-2010, 09:06 PM
I am one of these 'city types' of which you speak but am well versed in bag balm.

[...]
In this day of the internet and 1 click ordering, does anyone still bother with having the STORE order it? How come?
I'll wait for the store to order it and I'll pay his asking price. I do this because I want to support the local economy. I've also noticed that the local gun store caters to my needs and wants. I've never asked for a discount, but have noticed that when the owner is there I get a 10% or more discount.
I have bought five guns in the past three years and about 50,000 primers, powder, etc., from our local gun shop. I've never found any extra charge or overcharge, as a matter of fact, he emails me when something that I might be wanting arrives and has even delivered a 1,000 primers that he knew that I was waiting for and couldn't get to his shop before closing time.
I feel guilty every time that I buy something on the Internet, i.e., a mould from a company that he does not deal with (SAECO,MiHec).
EW

Marvin S
02-02-2010, 09:24 PM
and here I thought the stuff was made for ex-wives.....hehehehehe

Marine Sgt 2111,Thats funny. But I use the stuff on the bottom of my feet with socks on at bedtime.

deltaenterprizes
02-02-2010, 10:30 PM
STP works also, one can is a lifetime supply.

DLCTEX
02-02-2010, 10:48 PM
I buy all I can from the local guy to try to keep him in business. I hate paying shipping and handling, which usually makes the price higher than the local shop anyway. That said, if there is a big price difference I'll go with the cheaper price. Our local guy is good at keeping his prices competitive . I bought some used brass a while back on our swapping and selling for I thought a good price, then saw new brass in his shop for $2 C more.[smilie=b:

wills
02-02-2010, 10:52 PM
In this day of the internet and 1 click ordering, does anyone still bother with having the STORE order it? How come?

Sometimes if the store orders something from its regular supplier the order goes arrives with the next regular shipment and you don’t pay shipping charges.

mroliver77
02-02-2010, 11:22 PM
I could not find any bag balm around (whats the world coming to?) I did find this stuff for softening your feet. Mostly lanolin with some petrolatum. It was even in the clearance bin! It works very well for sizingcases and cleans off easily.Lanolin is a great forming lube!!.
When we were young there was a big bottle of mecuricrome and big tin of bag balm on the shelf in front of the Epsom Salts, castor oil and something in a green bottle from the Raleigh man for sore muscles. Grandma also carried a big ole purse full of little doses of this stuff for emergencies. These folks did not run to the doc unless it was serious. Back on topic I need to find some bag balm and stock up on some.
Jay

waksupi
02-03-2010, 01:37 AM
Just buy some good case lube!

A little container of Bull Size will last a LONG time, and its only $2.50 plus shipping.

Yeah, but is it good on chapped hands? :D

Bret4207
02-05-2010, 08:12 AM
I have an 10 oz can of Bag balm right in front of me. Used it on my granddaughters diaper rash last night, my cracked hands and on the cat scratch I got moving one of my wifes cats.

Spector
02-05-2010, 01:57 PM
I have one of those cube shaped 10 ounce cans of Bag Balm as well. I don't like the greasy feel of it, but it has worked well on my hands for years now in cold dry weather. I don't use anything until my hands are already cracking and bleeding. I put it on my hands at bedtime and it repairs them by the following morning.

I hate dishwashers so I wash them by hand in hot water. And with my wife and two grandkids there seem to be plenty to wash. It's takes a lot of hot soapy water to dry my hands to the point of chapping again. If I used a little Bag Balm every night in winter I'd probably never have a problem.

Pecards Antique Leather Dressing seemed to help my hands, but the Bag Balm is better. I'll stick with Imperial Sizing Die Wax for sizing cases........Mike

Muskrat Mike
02-05-2010, 10:13 PM
I'll wait for the store to order it and I'll pay his asking price. I do this because I want to support the local economy. I've also noticed that the local gun store caters to my needs and wants. I've never asked for a discount, but have noticed that when the owner is there I get a 10% or more discount.
I have bought five guns in the past three years and about 50,000 primers, powder, etc., from our local gun shop. I've never found any extra charge or overcharge, as a matter of fact, he emails me when something that I might be wanting arrives and has even delivered a 1,000 primers that he knew that I was waiting for and couldn't get to his shop before closing time.
I feel guilty every time that I buy something on the Internet, i.e., a mould from a company that he does not deal with (SAECO,MiHec).
EW

I feel the same way! He is giving you a service that you value and and are willing to pay for so he can continue to serve you. I think some people are short sighted sometimes and only value low price.:violin:

Houndog
02-05-2010, 10:34 PM
I need to find some bag balm and stock up on some.
Jay
Have you got a Tractor Supply or a farmer's co-op close to your house? I buy it at Tractor Supply for around $8.00 for a 16oz can. It beats ANY hand lotion I ever used!

jimkim
02-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Back on topic I need to find some bag balm and stock up on some.
Jay

I bought mine from CVS Pharmacy. They also had it in the pet section at Walmart.