PDA

View Full Version : 45acp USPSA & ICORE

warf73
02-01-2010, 08:20 AM
I’m looking into shooting USPSA and ICORE with a 45acp and I’ve narrowed it down to 3 models. Of the 3 models mentioned above which one would you pick. Or would you go with a different manufacture and/or model all together and why?

Bass Ackward
02-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Warf,

A 629 5" is a 44 Mag? Did you mean a 625 5 "?

Are you shooting opens? I don't like the grooved trigger for long period shooting on the JM. If you are using opens, I would opt for a longer sight radius. The older 625s with the full underlug can get heavy especially with the weak hand unless you are above average physically. If you are larger physically, then the extra weight can provide a steadier hold.

So, so much of what you are asking depends on who and what you are. I like a CS Model that has the shorter cylinder for shooting lead with the short underlug myself. Length without weight without the large throat problems that can come with the 1955 Targets.

warf73
02-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Warf,

A 629 5" is a 44 Mag? Did you mean a 625 5 "?

Are you shooting opens? I don't like the grooved trigger for long period shooting on the JM. If you are using opens, I would opt for a longer sight radius. The older 625s with the full underlug can get heavy especially with the weak hand unless you are above average physically. If you are larger physically, then the extra weight can provide a steadier hold.

So, so much of what you are asking depends on who and what you are. I like a CS Model that has the shorter cylinder for shooting lead with the short underlug myself. Length without weight without the large throat problems that can come with the 1955 Targets.

I'm going off of S&W web site its says 629 is avaible in 4~6" in 41, 44mag, 44spec., 45colt and 45acp.
But lol I cant find any 629's in other calibers other than 44mag or 44 specal.
Dang noob I just reread the S&W web site there just talking about the Large N frame guns in general.
So I guess ya a 625 5 " :)

I'll be using open sights.

I'm 6' 240lbs, I guess I'm getting fussed about the wieght. Only reason I say this is because I attended a USPSA match friday(great guys) and the longest I seen a gun in hand was 20 seconds. There was 5 corses of fire that night.

warf73
02-01-2010, 09:40 AM
I was leaning to the 55 target but started haven second thought after reading past posts about the 55 target not being real cast boolit friendly.

Bass Ackward
02-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Well, I would think that you aught to be able to handle the weight, so I would recomend the 625 Model of 1989 with a 5" tube. Best dimensions, old fashion conventional rifling, good weight. That's .......... not exactly true, but they can be fussy if you get one with really large throats. I have heard of them up to .458. This isn't a problem if alignment is good. I have a 1955 that is fussy.

So I still say the 625 MDL 1989. Too bad you can't handle'em and decide for yourself. Smith still makes the 5" that will feel close and most of the larger shops do stock it. I just don't care for the angled rifling in the new ones.

KYCaster
02-01-2010, 10:43 AM
If IDPA competition is on the agenda then you'll have to change your specs. A 5" N frame will not fit in the IDPA "box"....been there, done that, they got kinda snotty about it.

Other than standing around all day with a bunch of gear on your belt, weight isn't much of a factor. It's not like shooting a bullseye match where you're trying to hold a steady sight picture for several seconds. You'll be firing six to thirty rounds, often in less time than it takes a bullseye shooter to get off his second round. Recoil control and quick reloads are much more important.

I like a smooth trigger for DA, same as Bass, but thats just personal preference.

Jerry

imashooter2
02-01-2010, 12:22 PM
The 625 with 5 inch barrel is generally considered the best option for USPSA. ICORE seems to be populated with 8 shot 627s at the upper levels. The .45 is not the best option there since only 120 PF is required. IDPA demands a 4 inch gun.

For a single revolver to shoot USPSA and ICORE, the 5 inch 625 would be best. That said, I use the 4 inch in my avatar for USPSA and don't feel handicapped. I run a 5 inch 7 shot 686 for ICORE.

ETA; I also prefer the smooth trigger and I dislike the JM grips.

Edubya
02-03-2010, 08:39 PM
The little club competitions that I have participated in have not rejected my 4" 629. Is there a any reason that a .44 would not be desirable?
I went with it because it can be loaded down to lower and up to higher velocities than the .45. Been happy with it so far.
EW

KYCaster
02-03-2010, 11:20 PM
The little club competitions that I have participated in have not rejected my 4" 629. Is there a any reason that a .44 would not be desirable?
I went with it because it can be loaded down to lower and up to higher velocities than the .45. Been happy with it so far.
EW

The only issue I can think of would be losing a little bit of time on the reloads compared to moon clips but some practice with your speed loaders should overcome most of that.

If that's what you like to shoot, go for it!

Jerry

warf73
02-04-2010, 02:42 AM
Thats what I'll be doing just club matches around Kansas, and I've wanted a 45acp wheele gun for sometime now. So this is just a reason to get one just wanted some advise in which direction to go.

Thanks for all the replys guys.