PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant 91/30 vs Yugoslavian 8mm Mauser M24/47

SciFiJim
01-31-2010, 07:53 PM
I am looking to buy my first milsurp rifle. 91/30s are available online for $79.99 and M24/47 are on sale locally for $199.99. This will be a cast boolit only rifle. Other than price, which would be better to get? I don't know the tech speak for milsurps, so please explain tech terms.

Thoughts so far.
Mold, dies and gas checks will run about the same price, so no preference there. Mauser actions are know for being strong and sturdy, so a nod to the M24. Brass is available as loaded, reloadable commercial ammo (brass case, boxer primed, noncorrosive). I am looking to shoot paper to start, but would like something for deer later.

Also, other than visible grooves in the bore, what do I look for or at when I have one in my hands?

autofix4u
01-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Buy the mauser now. They wont be around at that price for much longer. The 91/30 will still be less than $150 when you cannot find the Yugo mauser for a decent price. Just my opinion take it for what is worth.

C1PNR
01-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Yep, I'd get the Mauser on order tonight. You'll be able to buy the 91/30 for $89 5 years from now, if you really want one.

I like the M38 and 1891/59 in the MN. Shorter and much easier to handle in the brush, and no bayonet to mess with. And they do entertain the folks when fired just at dusk, or a little after.;-)

bruce drake
01-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Buy the Mauser.

It's more gunsmith friendly when you decide to move on from 8mm. A Yugo M98 can handle
8mm and 7mm Mauser conversions as well as every caliber based off the 308 Winchester. a 91/30 is limited to either 7.62x54 or an expensive conversion to 8x56 or 45-70.

Bruce

Dutch4122
01-31-2010, 10:05 PM
Get the 24/47 Yugo first. As long as you get one with a good bore & crown you won't be sorry. Mine loves the former Group Buy 8mm SIL and the 327-180-GC, both produced by BRP Custom Molds.
Most, if not all, of the 24/47's currently available have been arsenal reworked and have new or nearly new bores.

You can always get a Mosin Nagant in the near future. Best thing to do there is check the local gunshops and examine the rifles yourself. The pre wwII rifles with hex receivers tend to be a bit better quality and in many cases have better bores. Ordering a Mosin Nagant, even if you pay for the "hand pick," seems like it could be a **** shoot to me.

redneck1
01-31-2010, 10:09 PM
im gonna go against the flow here and recomend the 91/30 for about the same price as just buyin the mauser you can buy the dies and a mold to get started ... although brass isnt cheap if you look hard enough ive found winchester factory loaded ammo for about 21 bucks a box wich is cheaper than new brass usualy ... i screwwed up an bought norma brass for 31 bucks per 20 unless money is no object then buy the mauser first

TCLouis
01-31-2010, 11:48 PM
Buy the gun locally so you can look at the bore. If it is not pretty and shiny, let someone else buy it.

That said I have a 98 with a barrel interior like a mirror and it shoots patterns, not groups.

Lotta folks here shooting the 91/30s with great success.

Three44s
02-01-2010, 02:28 AM
Count me against the flow as well.

I saw those 24/47's for 199 at Big Five.

A few years ago, I started stocking up with Mosins from 69 to 89 depending on which one.

I bought five of them.

The 24/47's were then on sale for 99 ....... and I scored four of those over a year's time.

Just on price my inclination would be to score some Mosins and hang back on the Mausers and keep looking around for a better deal there.

BUT, you have to be the judge. As others here advise .... get the Mauser in case they go even higher ...... if they are right ........ I'd have egg on my face.

Last summer, I ran into a Mauser in the fuggly ATI stock .... the gun shop did not know which Mauser it was .........

I bought it for 150 and it had a lower end Simmons scope on it. Took it home and WAAAA LAAA!

.......... a VZ 24! .......... count me happy!!

You pay your money and takes your chances!!!

Three 44s

Doc1
02-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Get the Mauser. IMHO it's just a better all around design and far more versatile. You can easily make 7.92x57 (8mm) brass out of 30-06 cases, too. Also, though I know this will incur the wrath of Mosin owners, I believe the Mosins are unsafe. No, they aren't likely to blow up on you; it's their "safety" I'm referring to.

I believe that any firearm lacking an easily-controlled safety is dangerous and the Mosin's turn-bolt "safety" is an abomination.

Hope this helps.

Best regards
Doc

jonk
02-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Get both, of course.

There's a reason I have 8 mosins and over 30 Mausers. I like Mausers more.

They're smoother, generally have better triggers, and I've had much more luck handloading the 8mm than the 7.62X54R- though that's just my experience, I wouldn't take it for more than that.

Of course, there are exceptions. I'd take a Finn M39 over a Mauser 24/47.

higgins
02-01-2010, 12:36 PM
I'd get the Mauser only because you can inspect the bore before buying. Pull the bolt and look at a clean dry bore from the breech end (light pits can be hidden with oil). Check the muzzle to make sure the rifling is sharp there, and the crown undamaged. If the bolt is numbered on those rifles, make sure the bolt is numbered to the receiver.

SciFiJim
02-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Higgins, thanks for the practical advice. I am off of work tomorrow, so I will go look at them.

4570guy
02-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Between my good friend and I, we have both and I've shot both. IMO, the condition of the MN will be a dice roll. He has a 91/30 and we both have M38s. The M38s both shoot very well whereas the 91/30 has a very rough bore and not too accurate. I don't particularly care for the 91/30 as I like the short carbines better. He has not tried cast in it yet however. Perhaps with some work, this rifle can be made to shoot.

He also has one of the Mauser 24/47s and it is a VERY nice rifle. It looked to be brand new when he got it and it is very accurate with both cast and jacketed. I've been tempted to buy one the Mausers myself, but my cabinet is currently stuffed - I'd have to sell something:)

SciFiJim
02-02-2010, 11:18 AM
but my cabinet is currently stuffed - I'd have to sell something

In this place, that qualifies as a reason to buy another cabinet. In my case it will be my second rifle, so I have lots of room to go yet.

SciFiJim
02-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Well, I went to see what was in stock at the local Big 5 sporting goods store that has the M24s on sale. They only had one in stock and it is still in stock. If anyone knows what they are buying it will stay in stock for a while. The crown looks like someone used the barrel to dig in sand with.

NickSS
02-03-2010, 06:03 AM
I have three mausers in 8mm and six moisins in short and long versions. The mausers shoot more accurately than the mosins in general. However, both are acceptably accurate. My 91/30 that I shoot most took me three weeks and 300 rounds of ammo to get the bore looking clean. I wore out 20 brass brushes cleaning it and finally quit getting black crud out of the barrel. Interestingly the slugged dimensions of the bore grew .002" during this process. It now slugs out at .313 groove diameter. My Yougo Mauser required a lot less cleaning and shot well from day one. The only thing I did to it was add a new front sight blade I got from Bronells. This blade was higher and flat sided. I filed it down till it was right on with J handloads that shot really well. Since then I have used it for cast. I get nice 2 inch 10 shot 100 yard groups with this rifle. Something that is hit or miss with the moisins.

Three44s
02-06-2010, 12:49 AM
When it comes to cast, the Mosin's dimensions can vary and for cast you have to get them right.

But my M38 Mosin shoots .308" Win. power point 150 gr. J-words VERY nicely! I have a feeling that when I can get time to do some silver stream work with it ....... it won't be too hard to conqueer.

Three 44s

SciFiJim
02-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Well, I bought one... or rather I bought a Turkish 8mm Mauser. The local gun shop had one in stock on consignment. I could have probably bought it cheaper if I had hunted harder, but the deed is done. Since this is CA, I can pick it up in 10 days.

Now, what is a good starting point for cast boolit loads for this? Which powders work best? What boolit weight?

roverboy
02-18-2010, 07:53 PM
A good 175 gr. cast should be good. 2400,IMR4198,IMR3031,and theres others that would work well. A good load with 2400 would probably be 20-21 grains. Should be around 1900 fps. Hope this helps. I'm sure there will be more knowledgable members on here that can help more than me.

Multigunner
02-19-2010, 10:10 AM
I've used 4198 with 160 grain J words and light loaded with great results from a 18 inch Persian Carbine tube. 1 5/8" ten shot groups ain't bad for such a short barrel and open sights.

roverboy
02-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Wow a 18" Persian. That sounds cool as all get out. Great accuracy too.