PDA

View Full Version : casting for the ML

DeadWood
01-31-2010, 07:36 PM
since i haven't done this (yet) and trying to come up with a list of equipment i will need.

If you cast for a Maxi, Minnie, or any other ML boolit will you have to size the boolit? assuming it casts bigger than bore

If the mold casts undersize am i out of luck. Figured i might be able to add Tin or other to adjust?

docone31
01-31-2010, 07:46 PM
I doubt you will need sizeing.
You will want to be as pure as possible unless you are patching. Then, you will not want to get up to 1/2 WWs, and pure.
It is really simple.

mooman76
01-31-2010, 08:01 PM
For the round balls you just adjust the patch size so no sizing there. For the Maxi's they are slight large on purpose and engrave as you ram them down the barrel so no sizing there either. With the Minies they should be slightly undersized. I had problems with the Lee minies because for some reason they make them right at .500 and mine droped a couple thousanths larger which made for a tight fit. They are suppose to slide down the barrel easy. They still worked but they didn't slide down the barrel easy on any of my 50 cal guns. You shouldn't have to worry about a mould(Maxie) dropping undesized because they drop conciderably oversized so there is some leway and if they are so undersized that they won't work I would send them back for replacement. Some people add a small amount of tin for better fill out but not enough to make the bullet harder but it isn't something you have to do.

10 ga
01-31-2010, 10:28 PM
You will need a source of heat, I started with a 2 burner Coleman stove many years ago. A pot of sufficient size to hold your lead melt, I use yard sale dutch ovens but stainless steel pots will work too and are favored by some. A ladle to dip the molten lead and pour into the mold, plumbers supply has good ones. Metal slotted spoon to get the dross off. Heavy gloves to keep from burning your hands, I use welders gloves. And lead, from plumbers supply, junkyard or check the Vendor/sponsor board and look in the sell/trade board etc... You shouldn't need to size any boolit designed for ML and cast of pure PB. I have used alloy for roundballs as they are well under bore size and are patched. Do some searches and lurk about here and you will learn quite a bit rather rapidly. Best O luck, 10 ga

Captain*Kirk
02-01-2010, 01:01 AM
I use pure lead, no sizing is necessary. As was mentioned, sizing for RB is done by patch thickness on rifle/single shot pistol, the cylinder bores on revolver, and the driving bands on Minie or REAL bullets.
I use a Lee Precision Melter for the lead, pour by ladle. It's quick, easy, and efficient!

Hellgate
02-01-2010, 01:23 AM
Generally, a mold made specifically to cast a muzzle loading projectile is cut to throw a ball/bullet of appropriate size for that caliber AS CAST (without needing sizing). An alloyed bullet will cast larger from the same mold. Pure lead shrinks more and molds made for #2 alloy or linotype will throw a smaller diameter pure lead projectile. As far as I know ALL RB molds are cut to a size to produce the desired/labled diameter ball from pure lead.