PDA

View Full Version : Garands coming back from Korea?

Gray Fox
01-31-2010, 05:53 PM
I just picked up a gun my local 'smith fixed for me, and he said he had heard that something in the neighborhood of 50K Garands were coming back to the States from Korea. He said he'd heard that they would not be handled through DCM, but that some major surplus arms outfit was going to do it with the government's approval. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Ekalb2000
01-31-2010, 06:01 PM
There is a reason CMP will not touch them.
I heard they were worse that the rack grades.
But like my granny used to say, "Believe in none of what you hear, and half of what you see".

Storydude
01-31-2010, 06:15 PM
Century and SOG got the import contract. Initial reports are not good. Think a Pig in a Poke.

BruceB
01-31-2010, 06:59 PM
There are reports of a very large shipment of Garands coming back from Greece. These rifles WILL be sold through the CMP, and it's said that at least some are in near-new condition.

It appears that these rifles will be available to us sometime this year, which is very good news indeed.

Everyone needs at least one Garand........

JesterGrin_1
01-31-2010, 07:11 PM
Ok and where would you look to find these Garands? Thanks for any info.

NuJudge
01-31-2010, 07:38 PM
For the Civilian Marksmanship Program, look at their website or the North Store (Camp Perry, Ohio) or the South Store (Anniston, Alabama).

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
http://www.thecmp.org/northstore.htm
http://www.thecmp.org/southstore.htm

Storydude
01-31-2010, 09:04 PM
For a crapshoot..
www.southernohiogun.com
www.centuryarms.com

sundog
01-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Bruce, I've never taken exception with anything you've said..., until now.

"Everyone needs at least one Garand........ "

Shouldn't that "at least" be something like "more than"? :-)

BruceB
02-01-2010, 12:27 AM
Yeah; I have ONE Garand, but I'm a-thinkin' (always a dangerous thing).

Did some reading on the CMP forums, and apparently this batch of Greek-return rifles were in service with their Air Force. I suppose this means that the rifles spent 98% of their "service" in nice snug racks somewhere. Anyway, their condition is reported to be very nice, with some virtually new.

They should be available from CMP before mid-year, from comments on the CMP discussion board. It would be worth keeping an eye on the site if you're interested ( www.odcmp.com ).

Frozen Chosen
02-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Yeah I'm a new guy, but gotta say these kind of conversations give me goose bumps!!!!!!!!
Garands from the Greek Air Force?????? Ghee, I can think of a lot of comments for that one.......
I would think they are probably still wrapped in wax paper!!!!! They may even have cherries!

jonk
02-04-2010, 10:07 AM
CMP is going to discontinue rack grades as they are using them to rebuilt into their new condition guns... reblued, new wood, new barrels.

I'm not sure why they'd turn up their nose at real beaters if they're planning on doing that anyhow.

Oh and of course DCM isn't handling them, DCM doesn't exist anymore. ;)

Boz330
02-04-2010, 10:42 AM
If their Air Force is anything like ours they should be pristine. My shooting buddy said that the only guns he saw after Basic was in the hands of the guys guarding the bunker he worked in.

Bob

Marcus5aurelius
02-04-2010, 11:02 AM
I hope this is true and I can find a real deal on one. It's still a must for my collection :-o

02-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Understand that many of those nice garands will go on the CMP auction site vice regular sales. They are changing the way the sell over at the CMP. makes it less of a **** shoot.

Shiloh
02-06-2010, 11:49 AM
CMP is going to discontinue rack grades as they are using them to rebuilt into their new condition guns... reblued, new wood, new barrels.

I'm not sure why they'd turn up their nose at real beaters if they're planning on doing that anyhow.

Oh and of course DCM isn't handling them, DCM doesn't exist anymore. ;)

From my understanding, the Korean returns are beyond beater grade.

Shiloh

Freightman
02-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Rode hard and put up wet is how I heard it.

Aegis
02-06-2010, 03:10 PM
The Greek M1 are just about sold out. I bought a service grade last year. It had a muzzle wear below 1 and the throat was about a 1/2. :shock: One of the guys at Camp Perry behind the counter measured it for me. The finish was a mix from good to none. The stock is almost black. It shoots great.

Lee
02-06-2010, 03:30 PM
From what I've heard, KOREA is beyond beater grade. Altho they do make a mean kim-chi!.......Lee

smokemjoe
02-06-2010, 07:23 PM
The CMP rifles are returns to the Annistion arsenal, Like lease rifles, they then go to the CMP for CM for sales. The korea rifles somehow were not a lease rifle and bought by a different firm and imported to here. Maybe like a blue sky rifle for condition.

beagle
02-06-2010, 11:03 PM
From what I've seen of the Garands and M1 Carbines in Korea, they will be worn out. I was over there in 1981 for Team Spirit and at that time units were still equipped with both the Garand and carbine and from looking at their weapons, they were maintained but all were well worn. If you find some from a REMF unit, they might be decent but I have my reservations./beagle

mto7464
02-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I heard a few years back about the Korean supply of Garands. The US Government tried to make them send them back as being loaned. Word got out and several big US importers as well as other countries wanted to get them as well and they hate that the CMP has gotten the cream of the crop over the last decade plus. This lead the Koreans to say they had bought them and they would not turn them over to the US. In the end the CMP will only get a few and the importers the rest. Many of these are in the cans that the US put them after rebuilding them after WWII or Korea(?). I have seen pics of some of them. The ones in the cans are very nice and had the cotton slings with them. The also had carbines as well in the cans. The koreans sold us their junk years ago, I bought one. I am wondering what the price will be on these.

HamGunner
02-07-2010, 06:23 PM
From what I've heard, KOREA is beyond beater grade. Altho they do make a mean kim-chi!.......Lee

When I was over there, I met a lot of fellows named LEE. And they had plenty of buddies named KIM or Chang. Actually, if one could find some kim-che over there that was not 50% hot pepper, it was not half bad. At least it was starting to grow on me by the time I left. So was the OB beer, but when I got back to the land of the Round-Eyed Girls, I quickly forgot about the taste of that OB beer.

Artful
02-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Maybe like a blue sky rifle for condition.

Ouch - buy your good condition barrel now for transplant. :?