PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show Report, Costa Mesa, CA.

HeavyMetal
01-31-2010, 05:03 PM
One of my girls and I went to the gunshow in Costa Mesa this morning.

Things that might be of interest:

Saw lots of Primers left today! Colud have bought all the Winchester LP or LR for 29.95 a brick I wanted. SR stuff as well SP sold out Saterday.

Wolf was 24.95 a brick and I bought the last brick SP to try out as I have never used these.

CCI were present as well Think federals sold out Sat. Same price as the Winchester stuff.

I still saw some guys trying to get 40 & 50 bucks a brick off the smaller tables.

Powder was up to! Winchester and Alliant powders 20 to 22 a LB Bought a pound of BlueDot for my 9mm 20.23 plus tax.

Lots of these powder brands on the table!

Rest of the show was nice saw some molds but didn't need them or already had them, between 30 and 45 bucks with handles.

The hit tip of the show, and it's still there if anyone is going this afternoon, was a Star lube sizer at 150 Bucks! Looked to be in decent shape in a plastic baggie on the back side of the table near a LNL hornady.

As I already have two Stars and a Herters I strongly resisted the urge to buy it!

My gut told me I could have haggled to 100 even but I still didn't buy it thinking some poor caster would be able to do the same deal and actually put it to good use.

Yes I know I could have "e bayed" the Star for a profit but that just rubs me the wrong way.

Hopefully some SoCal guy will make a deal for it before days end!

cbrick
01-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Was gonna go to Costa Mesa today but a few things kept me home. Just spent a week in Vegas at the SHOT Show, just bought a Rem 700 BDL in 7-08 this past week, rent is due tomorow.

All that and depending on traffic it's about a two hour drive each way & could be more. I stayed home and sized and lubed 10 each of SAECO #'s 071, 072, 073, 281 and RCBS 145 gr SP and RCBS 168 gr SP for testing in the 7-08.

Maybe not as good as a day at the gun show but a nice Sunday anyway.

Had I gone to the show I probably would have grabbed that Star.

Rick

Bent Ramrod
01-31-2010, 10:15 PM
I was at Costa Mesa Saturday as well. It does look like the big ammo binge is finally over. The last four shows I've gone to have had more or less normal traffic at the Miwall ammunition tables and, as Heavy Metal mentioned, many smaller tables with speculators selling their hoarded stock at "bad old days pricing," to even less interest. It had begun to slacken off by about a year after the Presidential election, but then our enlightened Governor signed off an ammo registration bill that started the buying anew. Looks like everything is settling down now, though.

I still don't understand how the parking lot could be so empty and the buildings so crowded, but the place was jumping, for sure. Costa Mesa is now up to four buildings, plus the roofed over space between two buildings. They put a roof over the space between the other two buildings but haven't set it up for tables yet. It was two buildings, plus the space between, for many years. Looks like this show might be taking up the slack left from the late lamented Pomona show.

I saw a mould there and asked one of the guys behind the table the price. "You do that lead?" he asked. "You're gonna die, man." I said no doubt I would and again asked the price. "I donno, man; it belongs to the other guy." He got the other guy's attention, gave him the mould, and I walked along to his end of the table. "It's a mold for lead, man," he said, looking over the halves like he'd never seen such a thing before. I said yes, I knew that, and again asked how much. "Man, I got outta that lead thing twenty years ago. You mess with that stuff, you're gonna die." Yeah, I know, but how much? I asked again. "Forty-five dollars," he replied.

A little out of my price range, as I didn't need it that bad. Terrible the way these people try to take advantage of a dying man.:mrgreen:

looseprojectile
01-31-2010, 10:28 PM
is one of my holy grails. Nothing really good like that ever shows up at the local show. I already have five or six dies. No machine.
Once in a while, maybe something good can be discovered at the show but you have to pay the price and I am a chiseler.
The last brick of LPM primers cost me $43.00 including tax. Got down to a mere three hundred and was getting antsy.
Sounds like quality time with the Daughter[smilie=p:. She will remember those moments for a lifetime, and you will too.

Life is good

mooman76
01-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Dang, I thought they outlawed gun shows in Kalee4nee![smilie=l: Glad to here things are starting to get back to normal somewhat. I haven't been to a gunshow in over a year. I'm looking forward to the next one here.

9.3X62AL
01-31-2010, 11:21 PM
Ramrod--

Interesting also how that idjit didn't mind making a handsome profit from that uber-toxic tool.

I hope those over-priced primers taste good with ketchup.

cbrick
01-31-2010, 11:50 PM
Dang, I thought they outlawed gun shows in Kalee4nee![smilie=l:

Now comrade, you should know that Constitutional Rights cannot be exercised on County property (which is where they were banned). Get with the program or it's off to re-education camp for you to get your "mind right". :wink:

Rick

Bent Ramrod
02-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Al,

Yes, no level of indoctrination can quash the profit motive. I was kind of short on cash by then because somebody else had a deal on bagful of Ideal nutcracker tools and stuff; couldn't pass it up. But the mould would have been interesting for a curio; it was a .38 caliber adjustable core mould for swaging, but it was dual cavity. Never saw a dual cavity core mould before.

The huge lines to get tickets and the dozens of guys with dollies hauling crates of ammo and components out to their cars were absent. The few with dollies only had one or two boxes on them, and we got into the place in a few minutes rather than the 45 or so it took last fall. I like seeing a huge contingent of the Gun Culture getting together, but I get fatigued by too many elbows and collisions. Back to some modicum of normality, I hope.

9.3X62AL
02-02-2010, 12:39 AM
I haven't attended the Costa Mesa show, but manage to see the Reno show roughly once a year--often as an adjunct to a varmint hunt or other Nevada-based rascality. Normalcy would be a real comfort, for certain.

Rio Grande
02-02-2010, 12:48 AM
i live in Texas but visited California a while back. went to the Gun Show in Glendale (LA suburb). Lemme tell you, that show put most of our Texas shows to shame. Great show, lots of good items at good prices, lots of molds and used reloading eqpt., ammo too.
Don't like the transfer reqts., the wait, etc, or the ten rd. mag law, but that Show was great.

Stillwater
03-22-2010, 11:08 PM
i live in Texas but visited California a while back. went to the Gun Show in Glendale (LA suburb). Lemme tell you, that show put most of our Texas shows to shame. Great show, lots of good items at good prices, lots of molds and used reloading eqpt., ammo too.
Don't like the transfer reqts., the wait, etc, or the ten rd. mag law, but that Show was great.

You really think the Glendale show is that good? Not picking at you, mind you, but most of us that live close to the Glendale Show, think that it is pretty useless.

I was in San Antonio, TX last year and attended a gun show with my brother-in-law. I bought so much stuff, I avoided the main route border inspection area, on highway 10, and took back roads to get from AZ to California.

Bill

Beekeeper
03-23-2010, 11:13 AM
one mans trash is another mans treasure.
Come on out all you good ole Texas boys and we will sell all our junk so we can go to Texas and buy your treasure...........Not

Jim

dragonrider
03-23-2010, 11:58 AM
I have a gun show to go to this weekend and one next weekend, I have a Star and it is sufficient for my needs. But should I see one at either of these two shows if possible I will buy it and offer it here for what I paid for it plus shipping. The chances of one being at either show is slim but you never know.

Stillwater
03-23-2010, 06:00 PM
One big problem with The Glendale, CA gunshow, and the Costa Mesa, CA gun show is immigrants renting tables, selling swap meet junk.

Bill

Lead Fred
03-23-2010, 07:08 PM
They dont outlaw gun shows

Just the guns you can buy at them, and the ammo, and the....

PatMarlin
03-24-2010, 01:13 AM
I bought so much stuff, I avoided the main route border inspection area, on highway 10, and took back roads to get from AZ to California.

Bill

...lol.

Stillwater
03-24-2010, 04:07 AM
...lol.

Every thing was legal, I just did not want to take everything out of the vehicle and repack it again...!

Bill

ETA:

I have one of those Marlin Century LTD 39M rifles like you have in your avatar.

BW

Cadillo
03-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Every thing was legal, I just did not want to take everything out of the vehicle and repack it again...!

Bill

ETA:

BW

Can you expand upon that? Why would you have to unload your car unless you wanted to do so? If you are entering the United States from another country, that is one thing, but to travel between states within CONUS, you are under the umbrella off the 4th Amendment, even in California. In a nutshell that means that legal searches are based on consent, probable cause, or warrant. :?:

PatMarlin
03-24-2010, 07:06 PM

BW

I bought that rifle at 10 years old brand new in 1970 from proceeds earned by mowing lawns. It's a 39A Marlin Century LTD.

Still have it, and it still is 99% inside and out. Pretty much now my oldest possession.

Stillwater
03-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Can you expand upon that? Why would you have to unload your car unless you wanted to do so? If you are entering the United States from another country, that is one thing, but to travel between states within CONUS, you are under the umbrella off the 4th Amendment, even in California. In a nutshell that means that legal searches are based on consent, probable cause, or warrant. :?:

California maintains agricultural inspection check points on all roads coming into the state. These inspections are to keep uninspected, out of state agricultural products, out of the state.

As agricultural inspectors, the inspectors have the legal right to check your vehicle for agricultural products.

I have seen several vehicles unload everything, to allow the vehicle to be inspected for out of state agricultural items.

The agricultural check points are supposed to protect California agricultural products from pest infestations.

Can you see what it would be like, if the inspectors, or other interested personages, wanted to look for other items while doing an agricultural inspection?

Bill

PatMarlin
03-24-2010, 07:21 PM
They've always waved me on through or just asked if we had any fruit or produce. Never seen them actually inspect.

9.3X62AL
03-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Border Ranger II, 1989. 'Nuff said.

Mntngoat
03-24-2010, 07:42 PM
i live across the street from the CM show and used to go quite often. the lines to get in had gotten crazy but its been a couple years since i have been back. Good place to stock up on primers, the AR frenzy market beef jerky sellers and airsoft sellers has nearly taken over that entire show.

ML

Cadillo
03-24-2010, 08:58 PM
California maintains agricultural inspection check points on all roads coming into the state. These inspections are to keep uninspected, out of state agricultural products, out of the state.

As agricultural inspectors, the inspectors have the legal right to check your vehicle for agricultural products.

I have seen several vehicles unload everything, to allow the vehicle to be inspected for out of state agricultural items.

The agricultural check points are supposed to protect California agricultural products from pest infestations.

Can you see what it would be like, if the inspectors, or other interested personages, wanted to look for other items while doing an agricultural inspection?

Bill

A little condescending aren't we? Are you an attorney? I hope that you are. It will make this even more interesting.

Well, are you an attorney, or do you have some experince in dealing with legal issues of this nature?[edit]

[edit]

PatMarlin
03-24-2010, 09:38 PM

............................................. :confused:

Stillwater
03-24-2010, 10:27 PM
A little condescending aren't we? Are you an attorney? I hope that you are. It will make this even more interesting.

Well, are you an attorney, or do you have some experince in dealing with legal issues of this nature? Regardless of how you answer, afterward, I'll start the lesson.

Don't run away to hide. School will start soon. :takinWiz:

Evidentially you are looking for a confrontation... I don't want one, so argue with yourself...

Bill

PatMarlin
03-24-2010, 10:32 PM
.......:mrgreen:

Cadillo
03-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Border Ranger II, 1989. 'Nuff said.

I was there, but can't imagine what you are getting at.

PatMarlin
03-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Hey Cadillo,

If you came aboard to try and start a bunch of **** I guarantee you are barking up the wrong tree, and definitely found the wrong neigborhood.

If I have misunderstood your intentions, please accept my apologies.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Rio Grande, I wish you could have seen the gun show held in Pomona, Ca. at the L.A. county fair grounds until a few years ago. You could spend three days there and still not see it all. It started in L.A. decades ago and was known as the Great Western Gun Show because it was held at the show ground by that name. Dealers would come from all over the U.S. to sell there. I sold there many times and it was fantastic. What was so great about it was the fact that it wasn't just dealers but many guys selling extra stuff they wanted to get rid of. I have made many a great buy at that show. I am sure many who read this will still feel pangs of sadness at the memory of it's loss. The gun show came to an end at the urging of one, Maxine Waters, a county supervisor from south central L.A. Her argument was, it would cut down the murder rate in her area. Guess what, it didn't make the slightest differance. Pomona was not even in her area but she coerced the other supervisors into going along. To make matters worse, she is now in congress and all of you get to share in her wisdom and experience. Oh happy day.

PatMarlin
03-24-2010, 11:44 PM
I used to go to that show with my dad in the 60's. Remember seeing John Wayne there one time. Other Hollywood stars too.

Swear I could remember seeing Elmer Keith there as well, but may be my imagination.

Maxine Waters. She's right there where she belongs with all the other great folks in government today ...:roll:

Cadillo
03-24-2010, 11:45 PM

"As agricultural inspectors, the inspectors have the legal right to check your vehicle for agricultural products.""

Bill

I am not an attorney. I did live in Southern California for almost eleven years. During that time I seized a great amount of narcotics as the result of vehicle searches at a highway checkpoint. In almost every case I had to testify in U.S. District Court regarding the legality of the searches, which must be based on consent of the occupant(s), warrant, or probable cause, just as put forth in the Fourth Amendment and related SCOTUS decisions.

"As agricultural inspectors, the inspectors have the legal right to check your vehicle for agricultural products."

Yes, they do have legal authority to do so, but you have the legal right to tell them that they will not. At that point they have the option of denying you entry into California, but may not force you to submit to search without either your consent, a warrant, or probable cause that you are in commision of a crime falling under their authority. Unless you are attempting to smuggle agricultural products by deception, no crime is being commited, and thus they cannot serach based on probable cause.

Don't take my word for this. Read the Fourth Amendment and then go to the website of the California Department of Food and Agriculture and click on FAQ's.

Item 2 states:
"The Department's legal authority for conducting vehicle and commodity inspections lies in the california Food and Agricultural Code, specifically Sections 5341-5353 and 6301-6465. Although submitting to inspection is voluntary, vehicle and commodities are not allowed to enter unless released by an inspector."[/COLOR]

"I have seen several vehicles unload everything, to allow the vehicle to be inspected for out of state agricultural items."

True. I have seen this too, but the vehicle operators did this voluntarily. They clearly thought that this was preferable to turning back. They cannot be required by law to do this.

:"The agricultural check points are supposed to protect California agricultural products from pest infestations."

Brilliant!

"Can you see what it would be like, if the inspectors, or other interested personages, wanted to look for other items while doing an agricultural inspection?"

Sorry. This question makes no sense at all, unless you meant that during a legal search, they were to find other illegal contraband, you might be in deep dirty water, you would be correct. Perhaps if you are involved in smuggling you need to be concerned about this, because it is a real threat to that endeavor.

Over the years I passed through the Ag Station on I-8 just west of Yuma, AZ on dozens if not hundreds of occasions. The inspectors asked if I was transporting agricultural products, and if I said that I was not, I was sent up the road. On several occasions I was hauling groceries, I had bought in Yuma, and declared that I had produce, I was asked where I had bought it, and stated that it had come from Albertson's Market. They told me that as Arizona's inspections were up to California's standards, I was fine and could go.

I once spent half a day at that same Ag Station doing Govt. work and got to see the officers in action. The only vehicles I saw unloaded were commercial loads that had questionable manifests or bills of lading.

I'm always curious about folks who go out of their ways to circumvent checkpoints or inspection stations. They often have good reason for doing so.

Don't be telling folks that the Ag Inspectors have the authority to make them unload their vehicles whether they like it or not. It's simply not true. :groner:

Stillwater
03-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Rio Grande, I wish you could have seen the gun show held in Pomona, Ca. at the L.A. county fair grounds until a few years ago. You could spend three days there and still not see it all. It started in L.A. decades ago and was known as the Great Western Gun Show because it was held at the show ground by that name. Dealers would come from all over the U.S. to sell there. I sold there many times and it was fantastic. What was so great about it was the fact that it wasn't just dealers but many guys selling extra stuff they wanted to get rid of. I have made many a great buy at that show. I am sure many who read this will still feel pangs of sadness at the memory of it's loss. The gun show came to an end at the urging of one, Maxine Waters, a county supervisor from south central L.A. Her argument was, it would cut down the murder rate in her area. Guess what, it didn't make the slightest differance. Pomona was not even in her area but she coerced the other supervisors into going along. To make matters worse, she is now in congress and all of you get to share in her wisdom and experience. Oh happy day.

I attended the Great Western Gun show since 1960, until it moved to the Pomona fair grounds. I attended the twice yearly Pomona shows until they stopped. Some really great shows

Now I drive 100 miles to the Del Mar show and a little less to the Costa Mesa show. Neither of these shows match any where close to the Great Western Exhibit Center show or the Pomona shows.

Bill

Marine Sgt 2111
03-24-2010, 11:51 PM
I went to the Great Western Gunshow in '82. It was wonderful. Chili cookoffs, everything you could possibly imagine. I picked up a like new pre '64 model 70 .30-06 national match rifle there. With a redfield rear sight and a mid tompkins bubble level front sight....$400.00. I walked up to one top that must have had two dozen sharps rifles on it, all in excelent condition....I too am sad that it is gone.

PatMarlin
03-25-2010, 12:36 AM
I'll go $500 on that model 70 Sarge ...:mrgreen: