PDA

View Full Version : What mold? (Great Plains style)

DeadWood
01-31-2010, 02:26 PM
After reading many threads the "Great Plains" bullet seems to be very popular with the traditional ML .50 cal. including the RB. Hoping a friend can find his RB mold for me to use, but would also like to cast for this "Great Plains" boolit.

Is this just a conical bullet similiar to what a R.E.A.L., Maxie mold would produce?and if not how is it different?

Any suggestions on style, brand and weight of boolit mold i should be casting for a T/C Hawkens 50cal.?

Bullshop
01-31-2010, 02:32 PM
I do not like the Lyman GP boolits and have had complaints from customers about accuracy.
The problem is that they are tapered, the base being smaller than the front. This is to make loading easy but does nothing to improve accuracy.
What you end up with when fired is a boolit that is in contact with the lands at the front but depending on how much obturation takes place little at the rear. This seems to cause tipping in the barrel and destroys accuracy.
Just my .02 but maybe worth just a bit more, you decide.
BIC/BS

mooman76
01-31-2010, 03:02 PM
No experience on the great planes bullet but the Lee real is a conical maxie basically but of different design. It has bands that are rounded and smaller than on your typical conical making it a short fat bullet. This helps it to shoot better in some cases because it's not the increased weight of a bullet that makes it harder to stablize needing a sharper twist, it is the bullet length. The REAL should shoot good in your Hawkins.