PDA

View Full Version : My Disc-checks.

Bwana
01-31-2010, 12:45 PM
The attached pictures are of gas checks I came up with about 24 years ago. They are made from soda cans. There are those using soda cans to make gas checks for gas check bullets; but, these are for plain based bullets.
The first picture shows five bullets with DCs attached. The first three are: a 255gr Lee 44, a 295gr modified 255 Lee (lenghtened with .406 bit), a 340gr modified 255 Lee (lenghtened with a .406 endmill bit). The last two are #1 & 3 using brass.
The DCs are .625" in dia. I will try to include the pictures of the tools. The two on the left are ones I made and the third is what I ended up with. Mine would dull more quickly than I liked so I went looking for something better. I called around and found these hardened punch cutters avialable in various sizes.
As you can see I set up a 5/16 bolt with a nut and washer for a stop and masking tape (high tech) as filler to make the bolt a snug fit inside the punch. I used a high density poly board to cut on and because the bevel is on the inside the DCs fall out or require only a slight tap to do so.
I primarily used them on my 44s but have made them for 357 and 45acp to see if they would work; they did.
Because the OD is .625" they fit and center in the Lyman lubrisizer retaining nut. The top punch centers the bullet on the DC and then size and lube as normal and out pops the bullet with DC attached. The edge of the DC crimps into the bottom lube groove.
For the smaller DCs a plastic disc or washer (OD .625") with the proper inside diameter hole is placed inside the retaining nut on top the size die to center those DCs.
They shoot very well and the DC is retained on the bullets to impact and after in most cases.

Pictures mentioned above: http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=74398

Fat-beeman
01-31-2010, 09:29 PM
looks good are you in the market to make a set for 30 cal for me and how much?
Don

Bwana
01-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Well, it has been a long time;but, I could check around and see where the punch cutters can be gotten. The lubrisizer washer adapter would not be hard to make.
The main thing would be finding out what size you would need. Now we know the bullet dia, .308. Then you add twice the length of the base band, let's say
.100" X 2=.200". Then a little more to crimp into the bottom lube groove .050" X 2=.100". About .608" so .625" might work.
I'll see what I can find and get back. Perhaps one of the people here who work with punches might be able to let us know a source for the cutters.

Bwana
02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
There are many punches out there that will work available from hardware stores. One set similar to my "southern eng." is this one. It is available at our (Oklahoma City) tool warehouses for $27.00 and tax. You can also buy "arch punches" that may be better, I don't know. I am going to buy one of these sets this week.

http://www.aetools.com/kastar-brand/11-pc-gasket-hole-punch-set.html

The Dove
02-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Is it just me???? I don't see any pics.

The Dove

GP100man
02-01-2010, 08:35 PM
me neater??

mrbill2
02-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Try This http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=74398

Le Loup Solitaire
02-01-2010, 10:11 PM
The pics look good. It seems to be an interesting, innovative development and process. I assume that the relatively thin thickness of the pop can @ .004 is not a factor in terms of fit as it is going onto a plainbase bullet and the crinp is into the lower lube groove. Some folks might call it a half jacket, but if it protects the bullet(base) effectively, and works well then I guess it doesn't matter what it is called. Some areas to be filled in would be what other size punches and size bolts would be listed/needed for other calibers such as 6.5mm, .30, .35 and many others up to the 45's and compatibility with other lube-sizers such as Saeco and Star. I'm sure that a lot of forum members would welcome additional info, as ingenuity with home-built stuff is an area that commands a lot of respect on this forum. Like someone once said, "there is always another way to do something/anything". LLS