PDA

View Full Version : promise kept to mike venturino

bobke
01-31-2010, 12:26 PM
mike-
you don't know me from adam, but i've been reading your columns since shep was a pup and have enjoyed every one of them. i, along with others wishing you a speedy recovery, have probably sent all kinds of info/pics/etc to keep you entertained while on the mend, and i promised to do the same somewhere in the midst of that a couple weeks back. well....i finally got around to it, and knowing how much you appreciate the history behind the B17, thought you might be interested in a few pics i've taken from a couple of very large scrapbooks my dad put together while a master sgt for A2 photo recon squadron while in the army air force during ww2. also have pics of omaha beach on d-day, buzz bombs, others in my photo album. hope these speed you on your way.

MtGun44
01-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Any chance you could scan some more of those precious photos in and let some of the rest of us that
are WW2 buffs get some copies?

Are those smoke trails from falling bombers in the last one? I can see one that was hit by flak, and is
starting down, but the others could be factory smoke plumes, but they seem to be more like a trail from
a bomber that got hit.

Bill

Mike Venturino
01-31-2010, 08:16 PM
bobke: Thanks for posting those photos. Those B17s were something else!
I would just about kill to be able to sit down with those photo albums!

And thanks for the well-wishes. I'm doing pretty good now.
Mike V.

bobke
01-31-2010, 08:33 PM
i'm glad to share any of these with anyone/anytime, a bit of patience with my photo posting skills, but they'll improve as i get some volume behind me. and this might be a good opportunity.

the one heading down with the black smoke plume is the one that got it's tail clipped by the bombs in previous three pics. pretty poor details as these are simple digital pics of the original black/white photos, but these are some amazing photos in content and in person. i've talked to some people about donating/displaying some, and it appears there's so much of this type memorabilia out there, there's just no room for it. we used to live in fredericksburg, tx where the war of the pacific theater and nimitz museums are and if you ever found yourself somewhat closeby and had a couple of hours to burn, do it. pretty amazing cache of photos, full size pt boat, japanese mini subs, displays, live reenactments, etc. for a history buff, just amazing.

try these out. omaha beach on d day, other is a german buzz bomb.

WILCO
01-31-2010, 08:55 PM
i'm glad to share any of these with anyone/anytime....

Bobke,

Thanks soooooo much for posting these pics. Are there any stories of your father and his war service that you could share with us too?

MtGun44
02-01-2010, 01:20 AM
You need to get access to a scanner. It will give you good quality reproduction of
these wonderful photos. Where do you live?

Bill

MakeMineA10mm
02-01-2010, 01:54 AM
The records show my Ithaca-brand M1911A1 was shipped in 1943 to the US Army Air Corps, Europe, via New York. I like to think it flew in a B-17 or B-24, but I'm just as happy thinking it flew in a B-25, B-26, or A-20...

Great photos! I'm currently researching my two uncle's service history. One was in the 88th Signal Battalion (Special) in the Pacific (No. Solomons and Philippines). The other was in the 90th Infantry Division in Europe (part of Patton's 3rd Army). Both fascinating projects.

Bullshop Junior
02-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Kewl Pics!

Bad Water Bill
02-01-2010, 09:41 PM
jUNIOR You sure are a chip off the old block. Kaint speel eder. [smilie=w:

leadman
02-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Hard to imagine what the crew in that bomber were feeling at that time. Like to think they survived.

Glad you are doing well Mike and are posting again.

Bullshop Junior
02-01-2010, 10:20 PM
jUNIOR You sure are a chip off the old block. Kaint speel eder. [smilie=w:
I don't no wut ur talkin aboot. ;)

The Double D
02-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Do they have to be B17's?

This is all the crew chiefs from the 565th Squadron of the 389th Heavy Bombardment Group at Hethel England in front of A/C no. 42-40370 a B-24D, called HEAVEN CAN WAIT! call sign W .

http://www.fototime.com/EB46A44783EF9D3/standard.jpg

Most of the people in the picture are unidentified. Thats my dad front row first on the left.

MakeMineA10mm
02-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Double D, If you're dad is still with us, thank him for his service for me.

Looking at that photo, and thinking about some similar photos I've seen in full color in sandy places, it makes me think of one of the good things that has come out of the war on terror. It's on a smaller scale than WWII of course, but I'm very proud to see veterans joining for a real CAUSE and having that bonding experience of service. Not like the whole danged population is involved and behind 'em, like it was in WWII, but there's a significant groundswell, and that is a good thing to see. Too bad we have to be at war to appreciate one another and serve bigger things than ourselves (in the big group sense of things), but I'll take it where and when I can get it!

The Double D
02-04-2010, 01:41 AM
Dad passed away in 52, I never realy got to know him.

Paul B
02-07-2010, 02:44 PM
bobke: Thanks for posting those photos. Those B17s were something else!
I would just about kill to be able to sit down with those photo albums!

And thanks for the well-wishes. I'm doing pretty good now.
Mike V.

Mike. If you ever get down to Tucson AZ, I'll take you as my guest to the Pima Air Museum. You can sit in a real B-17 and B-24 Liberator. There are other WW-2 warbirds as well. Last tie i was there, theyhad a Hawker Hurricane as well.
Paul B.

Ernest
02-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Mike I didn't know you were sick. Hope you are doing well. I really enjoy your writing.

Lucky Joe
02-07-2010, 11:17 PM
If anyone is interested I have some old photographs I would be happy to forward to anyone that asks. (Historical)

Best wishes Mike, I knew the cow kicked you and I'm glad your recovering.

ghh3rd
02-08-2010, 12:30 AM
I love looking at old pics like this -- imagining what people went through back then, now, and in between. All worth going out of my way to thank them, which I try to do as often as possible. Hope that made sense- about to get to sleep.

shooterg
02-08-2010, 12:45 PM
We could have a whole section dedicated to WWII pics of our families with descriptions ! Be pretty cool we might find some of us had parents/grandparents that were in the same groups...