PDA

View Full Version : lee turret press

iron brigade
01-31-2010, 10:49 AM
i have a lee turret press that is giving me the blues. bought in 2001 it is the 3 holer. problem is with the indexing. it won't at all. i watched the videos on lee's sight and they're a good idea and helpful.

i messed with it for about an hour last night and gave up.
any idea's guys? when it worked i loved the thing.

redding t-7.... someday!

thanks ahead of time.

sundog
01-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Sounds like you need to replace the nylon indexing bushing. It's normal wear and tear, available as a regular maintenance part.

iron brigade
01-31-2010, 11:11 AM
does lee offer the bushings? can't seem to locate them on their site.

RP
01-31-2010, 11:24 AM
they do sell them and i think midsout sells them also look under press parts list I dont have the number of them handy but if you cant find them PM me and i get the part number for you. They come 3 to a pack also do not overtighten you will ruin a new one with just a few strokes. Just snug it up and try it if it slips just a little more presses will do it better to have to do it a few times then ruin a bushing. I keep some for just in case some lasted me several years others just a few months.

jimkim
01-31-2010, 11:45 AM
I believe it would be part number TF3567. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=178889 Unless I'm mistaken both the four hole and three hole use this part.

sundog
01-31-2010, 12:25 PM
Not the same part on 3 and 4 hole. Drive shaft for 3-hole turret is hex, and square for the four holer. Make sure you get the right one. Keep extras on hand.

dragonrider
01-31-2010, 01:04 PM
TA2368

above is the part number for the hex ratchet for a 3 hole press.
Serching through misc. items will find the parts you need.

DLCTEX
01-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Oil the shaft and turret contact points occasionally for longer life of the ratchet. One of the advantages of converting to a four hole press is longer life of the square bushing.

RobS
01-31-2010, 03:12 PM
Yes agreed with DLCTEX, lubing the rod/bushing helps and the last Lee Classic 4 hole turret press I put together I used cam grease (for engines) but any grease would work fine. I also unscrewed the bolt and opened up the black plastic part that encases or houses the small bushing so I could pack it full of grease as well.

Also I went ahead and used a longer bolt, I believe it is an 8/32nd bolt when putting things back together, so it extends out past the other side of the plastic housing just enough to put on a flat washer and a nut. I did this so my Dad didn't have to worry about that part working loose over time and so there was no worries about the bolt stripping the plastic threads.

burfurd
01-31-2010, 09:09 PM
I think Lee charges about .50 cents for the ratchet part. I keep 6 or 8 on hand but have yet to strip one out. Just in case!

I also use grease on mine (ratchet) as well.....I use gun grease and it works fine......Also put it on the turrets to help eliminate wear.

burfurd

iron brigade
02-01-2010, 10:52 AM
TA2368

above is the part number for the hex ratchet for a 3 hole press.
Serching through misc. items will find the parts you need.

this is the part i need. thankyou.
and thank you all for helping me out.

iron brigade
02-21-2010, 03:11 PM
well gang,
i bought a lee 4 holer at a gun show yesterday. smooth operation right out of the box.
but... i have a question concerning the primer deal. the slot on the ram or shaft does not line up with the primer slot. is this unusual?
i was able to use the press with the optional primer doo hickeys that came with the press.
they sit on the little pin inside the ram. and work quite slick. but renders the old primer option [ which was included] useless, unless i'm missing something. any ideas?
as an aside i did notice on lee's site that a t. press slot was in the same position as mine so maybe this is normal but don't see how one could use the new primer attachment.

lead Foot
02-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Mine index's ok but I took the shaft out and use it manualy I find that better. Never had a problem with seating primers.
Lead foot;

Storydude
02-21-2010, 04:12 PM
well gang,
i bought a lee 4 holer at a gun show yesterday. smooth operation right out of the box.
but... i have a question concerning the primer deal. the slot on the ram or shaft does not line up with the primer slot. is this unusual?
i was able to use the press with the optional primer doo hickeys that came with the press.
they sit on the little pin inside the ram. and work quite slick. but renders the old primer option [ which was included] useless, unless i'm missing something. any ideas?
as an aside i did notice on lee's site that a t. press slot was in the same position as mine so maybe this is normal but don't see how one could use the new primer attachment.

If you are using the thing that keeps the primers above the turret, you need to have it at an angle that allows the "trigger" thing that dispenses the primers, lined up with the priming arm(in the ram) when the press is at full up-stroke(ram all the way up)

It doesn;t sit square to the ram-slot.

OldBob
02-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Lee has some videos available http://leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html that may help you.........

iron brigade
02-24-2010, 01:15 AM
If you are using the thing that keeps the primers above the turret, you need to have it at an angle that allows the "trigger" thing that dispenses the primers, lined up with the priming arm(in the ram) when the press is at full up-stroke(ram all the way up)

It doesn;t sit square to the ram-slot.

i emailed lee and he said the same thing. the newer turret press come with the primer deal off to the side. thanks again to every one.
ps: i rather enjoy my new toy! works flawlessly.

TNshawn
02-25-2010, 03:19 PM
I have another question about the Lee Classic Turret press. My primer arm is hanging up inside the shell holder after I seat the primer instead of dropping back down. I have to tap the primer arm so it will drop down in order for me to remove the finish bullet. Is there any adjustment for this? If I cycle the press up and down without the shell holder in place it operates correctly.

RP
02-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Is the primer seater hanging in the shell holder? never had this problem or heard of it myself

DLCTEX
02-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Sounds as if the cup of the primer seater is dragging on the shell holder. I have this problem using Lyman shell holders. A little filing on the bottom of the shell holder will take care of it. It only takes a little. I have also had debris from depriming cause the arm to bind. A quick swab with a Q-tip soaked with bore cleaner gets that out. Oh, I did get a burr on the primer holding cup once that a light touch with a file took care of.

TNshawn
02-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Is the primer seater hanging in the shell holder? never had this problem or heard of it myself

Yes, that is what is happening. I have 2 Lee shell (9mm) holders so I switched out to see if that fixed the problem. It was a little better because the primer seater (cup with spring) drops down enough so I can get the finished round out but I still have to push the arm down so I can add another primer. I am going to try and lightly file the inner opening where the seater comes up thru. Hopefully that will fix the problems. I have cleaned both shell holders. Everything is new so maybe some parts are still a little rough from mfg and just needs some cycles to smooth out everything.

Storydude
02-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Yes, that is what is happening. I have 2 Lee shell (9mm) holders so I switched out to see if that fixed the problem. It was a little better because the primer seater (cup with spring) drops down enough so I can get the finished round out but I still have to push the arm down so I can add another primer. I am going to try and lightly file the inner opening where the seater comes up thru. Hopefully that will fix the problems. I have cleaned both shell holders. Everything is new so maybe some parts are still a little rough from mfg and just needs some cycles to smooth out everything.

Clean the goop off of the inside of the primer cup. It's being kicked sideways more than not. Mine does that about once every 150 pulls or so.