PDA

View Full Version : 41cal 250gr hollowpoint

jcunclejoe
01-31-2010, 12:21 AM
Ok, please forgive me if I screw this up. This is my first attempt at adding pictures to a post.

If they come through, this is a 41 caliber 240grain hollowpoint. I used a very large phillips screwdriver tip in my core seat die then closed the preformed cavity up around a round hollowpoint punch.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19411&stc=1&d=1264911400

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19412&stc=1&d=1264911457

Swaging is fun.
Joe

ANeat
01-31-2010, 12:31 AM
Thats nice Joe, real nice. Its that a commercial half jacket or something home brewed?

BT Sniper
01-31-2010, 12:51 AM
Every time I walk into the hardware store and I see the star pattern screwdriver inserts I think to myself how could we use that for a hollow point. Glad to see someone else thing along the same lines. I used a allen wrench to make a really neat looking HP long before I got any swage dies. Hopfully I will incorperate it into a core seat die some day.

Nice work! How about a recovered bullet now? I have yet to shoot any of my 5 star notched jackets yet.

Now that you have figured out how to post pics keep em coming :)

What do you shoot such a big 41cal bullet from?

jcunclejoe
01-31-2010, 01:08 AM
Howdy BT, we need to make mutual trips to each others houses for show and tell. Maybe sometime in the next couple of weeks I can come West for a visit. I know you have a hard time getting away.
I'll shoot one for recovery tomorrow afternoon.
I shoot those from my slew of 41 mags. I use a double cannelure on them so they can be seated to SAAMI spec or .100 longer for increased powder capacity. At the .100 longer length they will fit in a Ruger (Blackhawk and Redhawk), FA, Smith and Marlin.
My Ruger Redhawk will put 5 (flatpoints) into a 2.5" group (average) at 100 yards from a sandbag rest with a 7x scope. Have not tested any others for accuracy yet. Those are the first hollowpoints I have made so no accuracy testing on them yet. The hollowpoint should only help in that department though as moving the CG rearward almost always helps accuracy.
I have a 414 Supermag barrel but I have not fired a shot from it yet. Shame on me, I've only had that barrel for 2 1/2 years.

I sold a bunch of my 250gr flatpoints to a guy in Arizona that was shooting them in his 40-65 rollingblock and either a 40-70 or a 40-82. He was getting 1.5" groups at 100 yards. He hammered an 800 pound cow elk and was tickled at the terminal performance.

I'll have to try the pictures again just to make sure it was not an accident.

Aneat, that is a commercial jacket from a bullet company that sold out a few years ago. They start out as 10mm jackets about .670 long, they end up about .630 long and the exposed lead is about .200 They are actually full jackets since they extend past the start of the ogive. Just a bit long in the snout department.
Have fun
Joe

BT Sniper
01-31-2010, 01:18 AM
Sure thing Joe, but I think I am more north then west as I am still on the east side of the Cascades. Anyway the girls are getting a bit older now and it may actually be possible to travel agian. I do intend to gather up some of the shooters around here and head down to one of those steel shoots. I need to fix the rear sight of my AMP and load a few rounds but I do intend to give it a try. I would be thriled if I nocked down just a couple targets.

Do keep us posted on upcoming shoots. I have so many tinker projects of various stages for all these swage dies it would be a fun show and tell.

I picked up a used corbin power cannalure machine and will probably need to get some advise from you as to it's use.

Good shooting,

BT

ANeat
01-31-2010, 01:20 AM
Ill bet a torx bit would make an interesting hollow point as well.

Good deal on the 41 mag redhawk ..... dont see a lot of those around

jcunclejoe
01-31-2010, 12:33 PM
I gotcha BT Sniper, it's the other river. A visit and show and tell would be a bunch of fun. I have one of the Corbin power cannelure machines, perhaps I can help? March might be a good time to come for a shoot, maybe it will be a little warmer then? We have a covered firing line and a wood stove so we are pretty spoiled. No need to be uncomfortable when you can make it otherwise. I have some dealings going on in Madras over the next few weeks, perhaps I can combine trips? In fact I'll be there tomorrow.

ANeat, I picked up that 41 on 24 hour campfire. Three other guys said "I'd take it in a heartbeat if it were a 5.5 inch". I just said "I'll take it". Sure glad I did cause it's a shooter and 7.5 inch is better for me anyway. I put in a spring kit and polished the workings up real smooth.

I thought about the Torx too but they don't have deep enough flutes and I really wanted one that was tapered as well instead of just parallel. The parallel cavity would close up more at the tip than lower in the cavity, kinda making a light bulb shaped cavity. Still a good thought though.

Have a great day.
Joe

wonderwolf
01-31-2010, 03:17 PM
I don't know why it never occurred to me to set the HP during the core seating step and just close it up on the point form step. I've got a set of 101 dies for 41 mag but don't use them a lot, the set I have for .44mag which I shoot a lot more is a 105 set....should work on getting a 101 I guess.

jcunclejoe
01-31-2010, 05:46 PM
Wonderwolf, I know what you mean. usually it is the really obvious stuff that completely gets away from me. Especially all the subtle hints dropped by my girlfriend. It seems so obvious to her. Hehe.
Have fun
Joe

jcunclejoe
02-01-2010, 12:37 AM
So much for recovering a bullet. I shot one of my flatpoints into a 6 foot long chunk of 8" diameter, 1/2 inch thick sewer pipe filled with water. I figured the water might want to come back out so I covered the end with a cardboad box. As usual, I was correct, that water wanted out of that thing very badly. So standing there soaked and having just been hit with a wet cardboard box. I had to giggle. Well, I might as well suck it up and test the hollow point. After the water cloud cleared, I noticed my sewer pipe was only about 3 1/2 feet long and jagged on top. Instead of leaning against the side of the truck, it was now standing straight up. Still had water in it so I figured, "what the heck, I'm already soaked". So I extended my pistol out to arms length, pointing down, kinda gangsta style. I pulled the trigger again and that took care of the rest of it. It must have blown water 50 feet in the air cause it rained for a very long time. The sewer pipe was only about 6 inches tall (on the high side). I picked out the bullet fragments I could find and loaded all of the sewer pipe chunks into the back of the pickup. I laughed at myself all the way home, what else can you do?
I guess I'll have to use a different model bullet catcher.
Have fun.
Joe

MadBadger41
02-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Hey Joe,

I've received my order from you (.41 250 SP & 240 HP's) and they look great! I know the 250's shoot great, but I haven't had a chance yet to shoot the 240 HP's yet though they are loaded and ready to go.

Hope you've dried out by now. Man could catch his death of cold in this weather......

MadBadger