PDA

View Full Version : CCI Blazer base bullets.

Bwana
01-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Here is something I dreamed up years ago. Bullets with the bases of aluminum Blazer 38 Spl or 357mag cast into the base of the bullets.
The first picture is a side view of a base modified for use with 45acp bullets, weight-13grs. The second a Lee 225 45acp with the base placed into the middle band, wgt-103grs. Third is the same mold with the base in the bottom band at 151gr. Fourth is a 205 Lee at 108gr. Fifth is a 255 gr Lee 44 mold with the base placed in the bottom band. Then a look at the top and then the side of the base.
The base are made by cutting off the bottom of the Blazer case with a tubing cutter and then the body portion is tapered by squeezing between a Lyman powder drop tube and a Lyman blank shellholder in a press. A hole is punched through the bottom above the primer pocket.
For use in 44 bullets they are pushed through a Lee 429 bullet size die.
For use in 45acp after tapering they are squeezed between the blank shellholder and the bottom of a 357 steel size die or similar sized die like 223. This expands the rim out to the desired size (451,454,457). Then push through the proper Lee bullet size die.
You can also use brass cases; but, the aluminum bases don't need to be preheated as the brass ones do and since you have to handle them to place them in the molds it is much less hassle to use Al. The sprue plate is not used during the casting of these bullets
To pour the lead into the mold you need to hold the inserted base up against the pot nozzle. There will be a button of lead of some size on the bottom of the bullet and I use a pair of dikes to snip it off and then trim as needed with a sharp knife. Size and lube as usual and load and shoot.19388

geargnasher
01-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Pretty creative, so how do they shoot?

Gear

Bwana
01-30-2010, 08:55 PM
They did well. I shot about a thousand of them in 44 & 45. The 103gr 45 was a real zinger 1880 fps in front of 22gr of powder from a 5" supported Clark bbl and the 151gr at 1620 fps with 18,5 gr powder.

mpmarty
01-31-2010, 12:33 AM
As I recall aluminum oxide is used in grinding stones as an abrasive close to diamond in hardness. I don't want to shove any of those down my barrels thanks just the same.

DLCTEX
01-31-2010, 05:09 AM
As I recall aluminum oxide is used in grinding stones as an abrasive close to diamond in hardness. I don't want to shove any of those down my barrels thanks just the same.
That's a theory that has no evidence to support that any damage is caused. Many members shoot thousands of aluminum gas checks without a single one reporting barrel wear.

JIMinPHX
01-31-2010, 08:32 AM
I've been punching my .30 cal gas checks out of aluminum beer bottles for a while now. I've seen no unusual wear in standard rifle barrels. Chrome barrels don't seem to like them though. They foul chrome barrels badly & the crud they leave is hard to clean out.

Bwana
01-31-2010, 10:27 AM
I would not send aluminum bullets down a barrel without lube. Mine have lube. The original Winchester Silver Tip handgun rnds had an aluminum jacket with a little lube in the crimp groove'
I suspect a reason for the problem with chrome lined barrels might be that the bore is so smooth that much less lube is retained in the bore from the previous shot.

PBKing
01-31-2010, 10:40 AM
Cool..I am looking forward to your future posts on testing and development.
+1 for Ingenuity.