PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Lube sizer won't work

Dew
01-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Just got a new RCBS lube size in .400 diameter. It will not fit in my Lyman 450 but I have other RCBS sizers that do. It seems to go down to the bevel on the lower end and that is where it stops before entering fully into the 450. Have there been some changes in the new sizers? This one measures .703 just before the bevel on the bottom. My other RCBS sizers (2) measure .698 to .699. My thought is the body of the sizer is to large from the bottom at the bevel to the top near the O ring.
Anyone else have this problem with a new sizer?

I will call RCBS Monday but wanted to find if there is problem I might be overlooking.

9.3X62AL
01-30-2010, 08:44 PM
1) Is the bevel the same size/angle as your other RCBS sizer dies that do fit?

2) Is the sizer die's length the same length as the RCBS sizer dies that do fit?

gray wolf
01-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Sorry I read your post wrong I thought I could help.

Dew
01-30-2010, 10:58 PM
1) Is the bevel the same size/angle as your other RCBS sizer dies that do fit?

2) Is the sizer die's length the same length as the RCBS sizer dies that do fit?

Yes. Only the diameter is different.

Dew

dragonrider
01-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Get out the verniers and start checking dimensions and compare to your other sizers that fit.

Dew
01-30-2010, 11:15 PM
You must have been about to send your post when I posted that the diameter is the difference.
I've already put the calipers on it to find the measurements. You can see that from my first post.

opentop
01-31-2010, 12:47 AM
sounds like a call to RCBS is in order, could be that they cut it to large.

Marvin S
02-02-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm haveing the exact same problem with two new RCBS dies in a Lyman 4500. I am on hold with RCBS right now but don't if I will make it through. Will post what they say if I make it through.The bottom portion of the sizer well is machined to closely fit the bottom third part of the sizer and this .005 difference will not allow it to fit and seat in the sizer press. I called RCBS and the woman said she has heard of this and is checking it out and took my contact info. So RCBS is supposed to let me know what the deal is.

Marvin S
02-02-2010, 08:10 PM
I took my two new dies to the shop and chucked them up in the lathe and polished the tool marks out and reduced the size by .003 and then they fit fine. The RCBS dies are lathe turned and not finished very well. The H&I dies are precision ground. I sent this info to RCBS so maybe they will fix the problem.