PDA

View Full Version : "Cast Bullets" by E.H. Harrison - Trying to get Palladium Press to Publish

c3d4b2
01-30-2010, 04:53 PM
A while back there was a post with a request to ask the NRA store to republish "Cast Bullets" by E.H. Harrison. Palladium Press has some sort of agreement with the NRA and I recently received a survey from Palladium Press. They have a comment section at the end of the survey. It might be worth the effort to take the survey and fill in Harrison's book in the comments section.

Removed bad link

Hopefully the link works. I copied the link from the E-Mail I received after I took the Survey. I go strait to the completed window when I check the link.

Hopefully this link will work

https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:CampaignPublic/id:25633.100004544444/rid:6da28af0fe2b25f96cc3a6a4d310bb33

JIMinPHX
01-30-2010, 05:40 PM
I didn't see a survey there.

Recluse
01-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Hopefully the link works. I copied the link from the E-Mail I received after I took the Survey. I go strait to the completed window when I check the link.

Unfortunately, the link got me nowhere.

I think a better and more surefire way to get a copy of Harrison's book would be to do a "Group Buy" on the book.

Have members here and at CBA commit, pay up front and then have Palladium publish and ship the book.

I would suspect that from this site alone, we could generate between 250 to 500 orders. That might be enough, and again if we paid up front for publishing and shipping, to get Palladium to do a paperback run on them.

But simply asking them to publish the book because they're are some "boolit casters" around who'd like to buy it isn't going to sway them very much, in my estimation.

Just thinking out loud. . .

:coffee:

Shiloh
01-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Me neither.

Shiloh

dromia
01-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Recluse's idea seems worth a try.

Anyone going to sound out the publishers as to their minimum order requirement and price per unit to see if a GB is a possibility or not?

Seems a more positive approach than filling out a survey that doesn't work.

Recluse
01-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Recluse's idea seems worth a try.

Anyone going to sound out the publishers as to their minimum order requirement and price per unit to see if a GB is a possibility or not?

Seems a more positive approach than filling out a survey that doesn't work.

I'll do it.

Will try to give them a call Monday morning and see what the requirements would be, how much it may cost, etc.

It would help, however, if I could get some info on the book such as last known publication date, who the last publisher was, etc. I'm fairly confident that Palladium will want to know that.

Anyhow, I'll see what I can find out on this.

markinalpine
01-30-2010, 07:21 PM
I got the following contact e-mail address from Palladium Press:
central@palladiumpress.com
and sent them an e-mail requesting they reprint the damned thing.
I've already posted my request to the NRA store and their non-response to me.
Mark :coffee:

imashooter2
01-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Since the NRA holds the copyrights, I would think it more productive to approach them with the concept of a prepaid order for 500 copies.

imashooter2
01-30-2010, 07:45 PM
It would help, however, if I could get some info on the book such as last known publication date, who the last publisher was, etc. I'm fairly confident that Palladium will want to know that.

Cast Bullets by Col. E. H. Harrison, USA (ret.)

A Publication of the National Rifle Association of America

Third printing, October 1982

ISBN 0-935998-49-7

Copyright National Rifle Association of America, 1979.
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any means without permission in writing by the publisher. This handbook is published by the National Rifle Association of America. Certain of the material herein is reprinted from issues of the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN, a copyright publication, which appeared in 1957 through 1979. Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 79-89301.

geargnasher
01-30-2010, 08:40 PM
This is the best group buy idea I've heard in a while, count me in for at least one copy. Recluse, looks like we might call you "Honcho"!

Gear

Recluse
01-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Since the NRA holds the copyrights, I would think it more productive to approach them with the concept of a prepaid order for 500 copies.

But if Palladium has published it, it's their capital they put up when they crank up the press--with residuals going to the NRA. If we can guarantee a certain amount of published books be sold, that will grease both Palladium's and the NRA's wheels a lot better.

In addition, any leftover books can maybe go to Midway, Midsouth, et al for sale in their books/videos sections.

And IF we can pull this off, we might even consider keeping some copies around Cast Boolits for fund-raisers and raffles.

I'll start working on this come Monday morning.

Bob.
01-30-2010, 09:01 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0935998497/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1264899502&sr=1-1&condition=used

:shock::holysheep :shock:

Bob.

Hip's Ax
01-30-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm in for a copy. :)

timkelley
01-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Copy for me!

alamogunr
01-30-2010, 09:37 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0935998497/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1264899502&sr=1-1&condition=used

:shock::holysheep :shock:

Bob.

If this goes through(and I hope it does!) I will have to tell my sons to expect less than I originally thought for my copy when they sell my books.
John
W.TN

bruce drake
01-30-2010, 10:00 PM
I just sent my local library a request for an Inter-library loan. Hopefully a library somewhere in the state of Georgia has one available for me to read (and photocopy).

Bruce

Randall
01-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Don't forget about the supplement publication. That should be included too.

giz189
01-30-2010, 11:52 PM
I would be in for one also.

quasi
01-30-2010, 11:57 PM
I have a copy of it and the supplement. A lot of the info in them is obsolete- wrong compared to what we now know. A better book could be made from the stickys on this site and the articles on the cast pics website.

Recluse
01-31-2010, 12:17 AM
I have a copy of it and the supplement. A lot of the info in them is obsolete- wrong compared to what we now know. A better book could be made from the stickys on this site and the articles on the cast pics website.

And that will be a significant consideration.

If the publishing price per copy is too high (and me personally, I'm thinking that total cost of the book, including shipping, should be under $40) for information that is severely dated, there will not seem to be a lot of reason to pursue it--other than for some sort of addition to one's library.

Personally, I think we could make a much better book from contribution of the members right here.

Problem is, who'd buy it if WE wrote it? :)

c3d4b2
01-31-2010, 12:27 AM
Sorry about the problem with the link. This one takes me to the survey page. But if I click on the "Click Here" for the survey it takes me to the thanks page. Hopefully it is because it is reading my IP address.

Hopefully this one will work.

https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:CampaignPublic/id:25633.100004544444/rid:6da28af0fe2b25f96cc3a6a4d310bb33

alamogunr
01-31-2010, 12:56 AM
Nope! Does the same for me. I tried it twice and got same result.

John
W.TN

Bob J
01-31-2010, 07:58 AM
I would be in for one....:grin:

joeb33050
01-31-2010, 09:09 AM

If the publishing price per copy is too high (and me personally, I'm thinking that total cost of the book, including shipping, should be under $40) for information that is severely dated, there will not seem to be a lot of reason to pursue it--other than for some sort of addition to one's library.

Personally, I think we could make a much better book from contribution of the members right here.

We did write it.
CAST BULLETS FOR BEGINNER AND EXPERT

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK)
It started as writing down permanently what people wrote on the various forums. It has contributions from ~200 shooters, many from this site, and is updated on the site all the time. There are two editions printed, and a host of updates on the site that may cause a third edition.
We're always looking for corrections or additions.
The 500 page book comes to me from CAFEPRESS, the management here knows all about CAFEPRESS.

Send CAFEPRESS the disk with the book on it, in the correct format. Costs zero.
Anyone can order a copy from CAFEPRESS, 1 copy, for ~$28.
I order lots of 15, for ~$18 delivered. I recieve the request and check, pack and mail the copy, and the excess $$ goes to the ASSRA archives.

If you want to, get permission from the NRA, put the book in the correct format, and go the CAFEPRESS way, which works great for me and has ZERO up front costs and ZERO inventory, if you consider 15=zero.

About 500 people bought it so far.
joe b.

HammerMTB
01-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Lordy mercy!
$125 a copy!
I have one of the originals, in great shape.
If someone's gonna fork over $125, send me a PM.
for that, I'll part with it.[smilie=1:

Echo
02-01-2010, 01:01 AM

WE would...

captaint
02-01-2010, 03:08 AM
joeb - I've been reading that over at the LASC site. About halfway thru it. A fine read too!! Mike

TCLouis
02-01-2010, 11:21 AM
What about the collection of info Joe Brennan has on Yahoo?

It is "current and timley"

Guess I should have read down some more before skipping to the bottom and posting, Huh??

mpmarty
02-01-2010, 01:39 PM
"Laura Bullard" <Laura_Bullard@palladiumpress.com>

To:
"Marty P." <mpatrovsky@yahoo.com>

No, this is not a book that Palladium Press publishes. However, several NRA members have contacted us about this book so it has been sent to our editors for review.

Thank you.

Laura Bullard
Palladium Press Editorial Office
1-888-397-3377 toll free
laura_bullard@palladiumpress.com

Recluse
02-01-2010, 02:27 PM

To:

No, this is not a book that Palladium Press publishes. However, several NRA members have contacted us about this book so it has been sent to our editors for review.

Thank you.

Laura Bullard
1-888-397-3377 toll free

This is pretty much the (verbal) response I got this morning.

I've now started the long wading through the layers of the NRA. Almost all of my contacts are on the ILA side, so it may take a while.

markinalpine
02-01-2010, 04:53 PM

To:

Thank you.

Laura Bullard
1-888-397-3377 toll free

...non-committal e-mail this morning.

Next, to all you people posting "I want one too," or "Put me down for a copy," messages,
Dont Tell Us! (sorry for yelling) :bigsmyl2:
Write the NRA Store, or this Palladium Press bunch, and tell them.
"NRA Store" <products@nrahq.org>

Mark :coffeecom

knappy
09-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Cont me in, I will take 2 copys Ed Harris casting

alamogunr
09-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Cont me in, I will take 2 copys Ed Harris casting

The late Col. E.H. Harrison was responsible for the NRA book,
"Cast Bullets" and the Supplement No. 1. To my knowledge, Ed Harris has not published a book on casting. He has written enough articles to make up a book and I'm sure I haven't read all of them. I do try to read them when I run across one. His posts on this forum and the CBA forum are informative as well.

John
W.TN

dsbock
06-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Did this ever come to fruition either from the NRA or Palladium Press?

David

beagle
06-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Don't forget the supplements and have them included. There's one, maybe two supplements./beagle

RedHawk357Mag
09-03-2015, 08:42 AM
Just wondering if anything has happened in getting this moved forward. Thanks

trapper9260
09-03-2015, 09:14 AM
I have sent a email to this company that reprint manuels and all and see if they will do it and gave them the info on we are looking for it to be reprinted.
http://www.cornellpubs.com/contact.php

Blackwater
09-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Well, I just wrote the NRA as suggested, and prompt all of you to do the same. I said that with all the interest in casting now, and the challenges we all face due to the economy, there's a LOT of interest in casting. Also, all the preppers should find it very attractive as well.

Guys, we need to give them a REASON to do this, and some assurance that they won't lose money on it. It's not difficult to go broke "selling paper and ink" today, so they'll rightfully be a bit cagey on these limited interest books, so letting them know there IS a sizable market out there - enough to ensure they won't lose money on the deal - is the key to getting what we want in this matter. We wouldn't lose money just because someone wanted something we have the ability to produce, so we can't very well expect the NRA to lose money on the deal, especially with all the anti-gun folks and climate out there today.

Send 'em an email. Can't hurt, can it?

elk hunter
09-04-2015, 09:52 AM
I checked my usual sources and see that used copy's are selling for $100.00. It isn't worth that kind of money. I haven't looked at my copy in several years but, as I recall it has some useful information about using cast bullets for target shooting. I've told the wife and kids that when I'm gone be sure to get a reputable dealer to buy or sell my books as some of them have appreciated considerably since I bought them.

MrWolf
09-04-2015, 10:10 AM
If I remember correctly, I purchased a signed leather bound copy for like $40 on ebay. Don't quote me on that as my books are all packed up for the upcoming divorce.

alamogunr
09-04-2015, 10:33 AM
I checked my usual sources and see that used copy's are selling for $100.00. It isn't worth that kind of money. I haven't looked at my copy in several years but, as I recall it has some useful information about using cast bullets for target shooting. I've told the wife and kids that when I'm gone be sure to get a reputable dealer to buy or sell my books as some of them have appreciated considerably since I bought them.

Good advice. I am in the process of entering all my books into a freeware book program. It will be a long process. As I enter, I check one of the book sites for value. I've been surprised several times. One of the Paul Matthew's books, the smallest, only had one entry and it was over $100. I suspect that many of these sites have no idea what they have and price them high hoping that someone else will be as clueless as they are. I have found that several of my books that I have checked for price are not available at any price. So far I have entered 72 books into the database and have at least 2-3 times that many to go. Not all are gun related.

If, somehow, the NRA Harrison book is re-published, that $125 price will surely plummet. Oh well! I didn't buy it(years ago) to make a profit.

trapper9260
09-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Here is the reply I got back from the one I stated about .

Sorry, of all organizations, the NRA is one of the more difficult from which to secure permission to reprint their material so I don't even try. For what it is worth, the book is available at addall.com (used book link) although they are not cheap.

beemer
09-04-2015, 07:20 PM
If I remember correctly, I purchased a signed leather bound copy for like $40 on ebay. Don't quote me on that as my books are all packed up for the upcoming divorce.

Do you remember what number your copy is, mine is 244, gave $25 for it in the early 90's I think. I am curious about how many were signed. I too think it could be updated but it got me started.

Dave

Scharfschuetze
09-04-2015, 08:16 PM
Great book. I read it and reread it when starting to cast.

At one time Wolf Publishing sold the book in DVD format and I bought it as a back up to my hard copy. I looked there, but I don not see it listed now, but here's a link. Perhaps you'll find something of interest in the "Cast Bullet" section.

https://www.riflemagazine.com//catalog/index.cfm

oldblinddog
09-04-2015, 09:23 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0007ASOHO/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

MrWolf
09-04-2015, 11:02 PM
Do you remember what number your copy is, mine is 244, gave $25 for it in the early 90's I think. I am curious about how many were signed. I too think it could be updated but it got me started.

Dave

Managed to find the box it was in - #261. There is an inscription in there as a gift to someone's Daddy in 1991.

trapper9260
09-05-2015, 03:52 AM
I found the on line book .Here is the link
http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/the-archives/nra-reprints/170-cast-bullets

beemer
09-06-2015, 10:23 AM
Managed to find the box it was in - #261. There is an inscription in there as a gift to someone's Daddy in 1991.

Thanks,
I have really enjoyed owning and reading my copy.

Wish you well
Dave

mongoose33
09-06-2015, 09:19 PM
I found the on line book .Here is the link
http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/the-archives/nra-reprints/170-cast-bullets

It can be saved to disk as a .PDF file and it can be printed out.

I've done both; the hard copy I'm keeping by my bed as nighttime reading.

Amazing book. Can't believe there's not a market for reprinting.

dsbock
09-07-2015, 02:16 AM
I don't know when (or if) this book will enter the public domain, but has anyone approached Dover Publications (http://store.doverpublications.com/) for reprinting?

Worth a try.

David

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-13-2015, 06:04 PM
I've wanted a paper copy of this book for some time and considered printing one from the castpics PDF...but it's just never like a real copy.
Last week, I seen a listing on amazon for a used "1990" copy in OK condition for $45. I took a chance and ordered it, and it arrived today, heck it's in near perfect condition...just a word to others, it pays to keep looking.