PDA

View Full Version : black water stain

bluegoose11
01-30-2010, 11:44 AM
I inherited some guns from a relative that had passed away, Some of the guns were found in one of his old storage houses in the basement a water line had broken and flooded the basement about 1 in. the guns were in gun cases and soaked up the water the stocks turned black about half way up how can I get the black stain out so I can refinish the stocks, the stocks are all walnut . the guns are rugers m77s Thanks in advance

quack1
01-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Soak them in a strong solution of oxalic acid. The amount of time to soak depends on how black they are and the depth of discoloration. Just keep checking, it might take awhile. Bleach will work too, but is very hard on the wood and should only be used as a last resort. Stripping off the old finish with paint remover, if there is any left, before using the solutions would help. After removing the black stain, let them dry COMPLETELY before refinishing.

bluegoose11
02-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks I have already stripped the stock just need to get some oxalic acid I will let you know how my project turns out. Thanks Again