PDA

View Full Version : Question for Marlin 1994SS Owners

Southern Son
01-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Kind folks, I have a question for those more knowledgable than myself (everyone). I have just recieved my new Marlin 1994SS (with the Ballard rifling). I have also bought a Williams rear peep sight to put on the rifle. My question is this, what size and thread pitch are the screws needed to fix the sight into the pre drilled holes?

I am hoping to get these screws while I am on holydays in the Big Smoke (since Cyclone Olga has kicked the snot out of the fishing for the next week I am looking for other things to do).[smilie=b:

NHlever
01-30-2010, 08:30 AM
The screws you need should come with the sight, but I believe that they are 8-36 thread.

Southern Son
01-30-2010, 08:45 AM
NHlever, I thought that they should be in the packet with the sight, but there were none in there when I opened the packet and I am now about 1300Km north of the Gunshop where I bought the sight. I am worried that if I call them and ask for the screws without mentioning the correct size/thread pitch, they will just send me any old screws they have laying around the shop just to get me off the phone and that will just delay me getting the sight on. Do you know what diameter the screws are? If I can get them locally (while I am in a larger town), I will be able to put the sight on the rifle as soon as I get home and then I can go and shoot the rifle, which I am gagging to to. Thanks for your help.

EDK
01-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Send an email to Williams Gunsight....just got off the web site earlier...and tell them "your sad story." Then post a follow up and tell us all what good guys they are for sending you replacement screws. You just became almost cost-less advertising for them and their customer service...win/win situation in a crummy economy!

I've had good luck with every manufacturer I've contacted in this kind of situation.

:redneck::cbpour:

Southern Son
02-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Well I cannot find an e-mail address on the Williams Website. So no joy from them.

I am on holydays in Townsville at the moment so I went into the local gunshop. I told them what I needed and what it was for. They told me that I would have to bring the gun in with me for them to try the screws. They had a "gunsmith" in the shop who said he did not know what size they would be, stating that they would be 6-48 or 8-40. I said can I just buy 2 of each size screw? They said yes, for $5.00 each (total of $20.00 for 4 screws), I said no thanks, not at that price. Apparently they are "special" screws that have to imported from the US (not kidding, that was their excuse). I had already spent $175.00 in that shop on projectiles, powder and loaded ammo, and they would not even do a decent deal on the screws for me.

As I walk out of the shop, I see exactly the same rifle on the racks, down the back but still in plain sight. Had I known they had it, I would have insisted that they take that rifle down and try the "special" screws in that one, to make sure that I would have the right screws. After they had my money for the ammo, they were not interested in helping me anymore so I left. I have been treated poorly in a gunshop before and to this day I have not gone back. I won't be going to that place again, either.

Chuck 100 yd
02-04-2010, 12:26 AM
The scope mounting holes are d&t`d to 8X40 on all late model Marlins.

Southern Son
02-06-2010, 06:49 AM
Chuck,
Thanks for confirming that, mate. I actually ffound some 6-48 screws today and they are too small, leaving only the 8-40.