PDA

View Full Version : Norinco NP29 9x21 Para pistol

Four Fingers of Death
01-30-2010, 07:44 AM
I have an opportunity to pick up one of these near new for a reasonable price. I don't mind the feel of it at all (apart from having to depress the mag release to get the magazine in fully).

The 1911 45 Norincos were ok and a lot of friends had them.

Are parts and accessories for other 1911s interchangeable?

Will my Colt and Magstar / MecGar(or whatever they are) 38 Super mags fit?

I fancy doing a bit of 1911 tuning myself and think that this will be a good basis for a first try. I felt that this gun would be cheaper than buying a 9mm Bbl for my 38Super

I feel that I would be better off getting a Colt or aftermarket 9mm Bbl to fit my 4yr old Colt Govt in 38 Super.

Maybe I should just keep my hands in my pocket and walk on. My wife would like it :D She's Chinese. :D

mike in co
01-30-2010, 09:39 AM
your title has me confused.....
9x19 parabellum (luger, nato)or 9x21( no suffix..it is what it is)

if 9x21 be warned there are two sets of loading data in print.
one based on 9x19 oal for gun based on a 8x19 frame,and one based on 45acp oal based on a full sized 45acp frame.

mike in co

NickSS
01-30-2010, 03:10 PM
From what little I know the 9X21 was designed for sale in countries that do not allow civilians to own hand guns chambered for a military cartridge (9X19). They made the case longer by 2 mm but the rounds are loaded to the same OAL and same power level as the 9X19. So what you would need is a 9mm Luger mag.

Four Fingers of Death
01-30-2010, 06:10 PM
I just checked, it is a 9x19, D'Oh! I must have been more tired than I thought last night.

The gun is arranged awkwardly, but I uploaded the pics to photobucket and they are mostly upside down. I spent ages rotated them, but they are back to original. The pic distorted the shape of the gun when I rotated it anyway. Very frustrating. I'm glad I'm not paying for it :D

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Gregs%20Norinco%209mm/GregBarbers9mmNorinco2.jpg

The gun was ckecked for safe and was unloaded before the pics were taken. I was taking the pics so I could show you guys. I don't want to buy it if I can't use better mags, aftermarket bits, etc.

mike in co
01-30-2010, 10:07 PM
From what little I know the 9X21 was designed for sale in countries that do not allow civilians to own hand guns chambered for a military cartridge (9X19). They made the case longer by 2 mm but the rounds are loaded to the same OAL and same power level as the 9X19. So what you would need is a 9mm Luger mag.

yes, but there were no industry standards set for the 9x21......soooooooooo away we go.

i shoot somewhere around 42kpsi in mine..a bit above the industry std of 34/35 for 9x19.

do not try this at home.....lol.

so when the ipsc boys wanted a high capacity gun theat made MAJOR( 175...vel x weight/1000), they hot rodded the 9x21...cause they were not exceeding industry "std". today most list the 9x21 the same as 9x19...but it was not always like that.
ipsc banned all 9mm from major, but left in 38super caus eit made major with in its specs.

mike in co

Four Fingers of Death
01-30-2010, 11:17 PM
The 9x21 was merely a typo on my part. It is a plain old garden variety 9mm Para.

I am keen to know if parts for mainstream 1911s are inter changeable.

KYCaster
01-31-2010, 12:02 AM
Norinco makes a pretty good copy of the 1911. (when they were being imported here, anyway) I had one in 45ACP and although the exterior finish wasn't first rate, slide/frame fit, barrel/bushing fit and locking lug fit were excellent.

Fitting after-market parts was no different than other 1911's I've had. Your magazines should work.

The only complaint I had at the time was the hardness of the slide. It was a real bugger cutting dovetails for new sights. Much harder than Colt's or Springfield.(but I think that's a good thing)

That one should work well for you...I wish they were still available here. (THANK YOU SLICK WILLIE!!!!)

Jerry

smlekid
01-31-2010, 02:28 AM
I have one of these most aftermarket parts will fit but I had a 9mm barrel that was an odd size I'd check what OD the barrel
it would seem that norinco didn't use a 45 OD barrel on some of the NP29's making getting a target bush nye on impossible my own pistol now has a SAM barrel fitted into it the lockup also needed some attention also the trigger was cleaned up
the NP29 comes with both extended saftie and slide release depending on what you are planning to use the pistol for it may cause you some grief with classes (it may cause me some grief in MRC\MPC I'm hoping it will be class 1)
I'm waiting on some Mecgar mags to arrive I'll let you know if I have any darmas with them

Four Fingers of Death
02-01-2010, 07:58 AM
I have one of these most aftermarket parts will fit but I had a 9mm barrel that was an odd size I'd check what OD the barrel
it would seem that norinco didn't use a 45 OD barrel on some of the NP29's making getting a target bush nye on impossible my own pistol now has a SAM barrel fitted into it the lockup also needed some attention also the trigger was cleaned up
the NP29 comes with both extended saftie and slide release depending on what you are planning to use the pistol for it may cause you some grief with classes (it may cause me some grief in MRC\MPC I'm hoping it will be class 1)
I'm waiting on some Mecgar mags to arrive I'll let you know if I have any darmas with them

Thanks smlekid, it took a bit to get this thread on track after my typo in the subject section. I think I will get this one, Save fiddling about swapping out barrels, etc. It will also give me a cheap platform to try a bit of 1911 smithing.

My Chinese wife will probably commandeer it when she sees the Made in China stamped on the slide. My son in law in gun starved China wants me to get it so he can shoot it when he comes out here on holidays. He is in constant drool mode with the pics and vids I send him of our shooting here.