View Full Version : Double Trouble

giz189
01-30-2010, 01:59 AM
Just thought I would tell off on myself as no one saw this happen. But went to the range to sight in my 1871 Buffalo Rifle with a new load for PP bullet. Figured I would swab the bore with a wet patch and a dry patch for consistency. On the way to the range, I realized I had forgotten my cleaning rod. So I stopped by a buddies sporting goods store and borrowed a used one he had. Got to the range, set up target, loaded rifle, put on hearing protection and shot 1st shot. Went to swab barrel and rod was a lot shorter than barrel, no problem as I had a short piece of stick to push it on through with. Caught the patch as it fell out the end of the barrel and carried it to the trash receptacle behind me. Back to bench, loaded 2nd round, aimed and fired. Kicked like a mule and sounded like a large cannon. Egads, what did i have loaded in that one? Thought, well I'll shoot1 more, but if it kicks like that one, back to the drawing board. Well, the ramrod hit about a foot low and a foot to the right, but it did hit the target, Found ramrod and bullet that forced ramrod out of barrel. Not Recommended to try this at home. No damage but a case head separation, gun held up well I thought, as the ram rod was a solid metal one from a T/C muzzleloader. Lesson learned STAY ALERT when doing anything with guns and ammo.:groner:

NickSS
01-30-2010, 04:26 AM
I know about shooting a ramrod out of a muzzle loader. I did this over 40 years ago with my first muzzle loader which was a 56 cal zouave rifle. I was loading and firing fast using paper cartridges and forgot to pull the ramrod. That steel ramrod flew throught the air like a silver arrow and wrapped itself around a tree on the hill side I was using as a back stop. Took me nearly an hour to hammer it straight again and a week for the bruise on my shoulder to fad away.

Southern Son
01-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Giz, your luck you didn't hurt yourself seriously (obviously), but you could have hurt the barrel, stuffed the action, all sorts of trouble. Very lucky indeed, and quite a good shot to have hit so close to the aiming mark with a new, untested load.:kidding:

montana_charlie
01-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Paper patched ramrods...hmmm.