PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Barrel Engraving??

ohiochuck
01-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Last year I purchased a long awaited pre- 64 Winchester Model 70 in .22 Hornet that was advertised as having a mint bore. Recently a bore scope revealed the barrel had a lot of pitting ahead of the chamber. I want to be able to shot both cast and jacketed bullets. A new barrel is on order with the same configuration as the original barrel. I would like to have the new barrel engraved the same as the original barrel. The original barrel will be kept in case some day I might sell the rifle. Is there an engraver in the US that specializes in Winchester barrel engraving (same style, etc.)?
Thanks

pietro
01-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Talk to Doug Turnbull.

Multigunner
01-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Last year I purchased a long awaited pre- 64 Winchester Model 70 in .22 Hornet that was advertised as having a mint bore. Recently a bore scope revealed the barrel had a lot of pitting ahead of the chamber. I want to be able to shot both cast and jacketed bullets. A new barrel is on order with the same configuration as the original barrel. I would like to have the new barrel engraved the same as the original barrel. The original barrel will be kept in case some day I might sell the rifle. Is there an engraver in the US that specializes in Winchester barrel engraving (same style, etc.)?
Thanks

If the pitting is only visible with a bore scope it may be better to lead lapp the bore. Worth a try anyway.
Also a very old bore can have old hardened fouling with voids in the surface of the fouling where particles have dissolved in solvents leaving a slightly pitted appearance. Often a through cleaning can reveal undamaged steel underneath.
I've seen this often with military bores, most especially those with cupro-nickel fouling that doesn't respond to solvents in quite the same way copper does.
Older double base powders can also leave a thin hardened shell of carbon and graphite that has the appearance of metal.

Clean the bejezzus out of the bore, it may not be as bad as you think. Try JB bore paste and a patch made of thin soft leather.

TheCaptain
04-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Talk to Doug Turnbull.

Hi,

Who is, and how to, contact Doug Turnbull?

I too am looking for an engraver and/or company to complete a project that was started over 5 years ago on my Winchester Parker A1 Special 12 gauge 2 barrel set shotgun. The work was never completed (but paid for). I recently went through legal channels and was able to get my gun returned to me.

This gun is one of 50; and the dealer who sold it to me in 1994 got it from a shotgun manufacturing company here in CT; but, unfortunately, I learned today that their custom engraving shop has so much work that it would be another 5 years (at least) if they were to do the engraving. :holysheep I am not that young anymore!

If anyone has any suggestions of who I can try to contact, it will be most appreciated.

With kind regards,

~ Kathie :Fire:

pietro
04-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Doug Turnbull Restoration, Inc.
6680 Rt 5 & 20,
PO Box 471
Bloomfield, NY 14469
Phone: 585-657-6338
Fax: 585-657-7743
Email: info@turnbullrestoration.com

http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/

Here's one of Doug's web pages, regarding barrel remarking (there's many others, including engraving):

http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/store.asp?pid=20183

Barrel and Action Markings
Colt SAA Barrel Address $60.00
Colt SAA Caliber Marking $40.00
Colt SAA Patent Date $50.00
Colt SAA Horse Stamp $50.00
Rifle Barrel Address $60.00
Rifle Caliber Marking $40.00
Re-Stamp Winchester Proof $40.00

Jon K
04-27-2010, 09:04 PM
ohiochuck,

pitting???.........But, does it shoot?

What about a liner? If it doesn't shoot.

Jon

John Taylor
04-27-2010, 09:59 PM
You Might try Frankie's gun repair for mod. 70 roll marking, 229-271-2722.

John Taylor
04-27-2010, 10:02 PM
[/QUOTE]
I too am looking for an engraver and/or company to complete a project that was started over 5 years ago on my Winchester Parker A1 Special 12 gauge 2 barrel set shotgun. The work was never completed (but paid for). I recently went through legal channels and was able to get my gun returned to me.

With kind regards,

~ Kathie :Fire:[/QUOTE]

Try Dale Woody of http://gunfancy.com/

waksupi
04-28-2010, 12:06 AM
http://www.igraver.com/forum/index.php

Check on this forum I belong to. Lots of top engravers. You should be able to find someone close to you.

TheCaptain
04-28-2010, 12:48 AM
Thank you for all the contact information. I truly do appreciate the so very fast responses to my plea for help.

With kind regards,

~ Kathie

ohiochuck
05-06-2010, 12:54 PM
A member sent me a PM after the 1st post. The contact is John Gallagher Firearms at 205-384-5229 located near Jasper, Alabama. My new barrel is beinging stamped next week. I expect to receive the rifle back in early June.
Thanks!