PDA

View Full Version : Blue grouse lock

rhbrink
01-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Just got my underhammer action today, got three recycled barrels lined up and a new 45 fast twist comming. It's going to be a busy late winter give me something to think about besides cold and snow.

buckweet
01-29-2010, 07:58 PM
ya, cold n' snow....weather man was saying .this should miss us,
guess he was wrong, got about three inches now. still snowing,

glad to hear your action is in, you'll have a blast i'm sure.

besides the fast twist .45 .. what else you working on ?

rhbrink
01-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Got a 32 Green mountain drop in for a Lyman Hawken type shots good just never could warm up to a spagetti Hawken, pulled the breechplug this afternoon WOW! talk about tight had to get a little heat after it, finally broke it loose. Next is a old Douglas 45 with a 66inch twist use to shoot competition with it, it was on a long barreled flinter probably both ends wore out (hoping anyway) I cut both ends off and am going to try to salvage the middle hope there is some life left in her. That barrel was a really good shooter and the rifleing looks very good. Next is a 50 Hoppy Hopkins barrel, any body remember that bunch most of them are probably in jail or dead or both or something. That barrel was never a target barrel but will make a good one to punch holes in deer or pigs or whatever needs a 50 cal hole in it. Going to try to see if I can make some hardened balls work with that one, just kindof a experiment maybe. Probably spend most of the time with the 32 and the 45 fast twist, thats the plan anyway.

buckweet
01-29-2010, 09:10 PM
wow, sounds like you've got a lot of stuff to play with, should keep you busy for a long time.

can i comes over to your house and play ? ha.

never herd of hoppy hopkins ? im interested in your fast 45 project, sounds like fun.

rhbrink
01-29-2010, 10:07 PM
It's going to take me a little while to get some of this stuff going but you sure are welcome to come shoot. I do most of my shooting at Pioneer Gun club south of Bates City if you want to run that far. I can shoot out to 200 yds. there should be far enough for a while.

buckweet
01-30-2010, 05:08 PM
It's going to take me a little while to get some of this stuff going but you sure are welcome to come shoot. I do most of my shooting at Pioneer Gun club south of Bates City if you want to run that far. I can shoot out to 200 yds. there should be far enough for a while.

let me know sometimes ? whenever your headed to bates city, i just might show up, be interesting to see the .45 fast twist, and what it'll do.

and ? i've never been to a range in my life, that would be interesting too.

you can see ? 200 yards ?

rhbrink
01-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Whats you mean "you can see ? 200 yards?" thats just good offhand for a schuetzen guy or a BPCR person. But the fast twist is already 2 weeks behind seems as if the supplier isn't in any hurry and the guy that was going to breech it has been sick, so until I get my gruby paws on it I won't even see what diameter for a mold and or sizer. Planning on shootin some naked boolits first then maybe move on to paper patch. Got plenty of other stuff to work on first, been shaping up a stock all afternoon.

Boz330
02-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Whats you mean "you can see ? 200 yards?" thats just good offhand for a schuetzen guy or a BPCR person. But the fast twist is already 2 weeks behind seems as if the supplier isn't in any hurry and the guy that was going to breech it has been sick, so until I get my gruby paws on it I won't even see what diameter for a mold and or sizer. Planning on shootin some naked boolits first then maybe move on to paper patch. Got plenty of other stuff to work on first, been shaping up a stock all afternoon.

Are you planning to shoot the fast twist 45 beyond 200yd? I was thinking along the same lines for a LR ML (800, 900, & 1000Yd). To be legal for the LR matches it has to be copied from an original design though.

Bob

rhbrink
02-01-2010, 03:17 PM
No I just hate a game that has too many rules. Mainly to use for hunting and learning I figure there is a great big slow learning curve on this stuff. Don't even have access to a range past 200 yds. anymore, but if things work out the idea has crossed my mind to build a rifle in the style of the English long range rifles. We are starting to get some pigs around my part of the country and I would like to whack one with a 500 grain lead boolit and holy black.

Boz330
02-04-2010, 11:04 AM
I hate too many rules as well but as long as you have people that want to take advantage of the lack of rules and not live with the spirit it is a necessary evil.
The long range muzzle loading competition is in the spirit and by the rules of the original matches. Something like a Savage 110 ML smokeless shooting, scope mounted rifle would degrade the competition rather rapidly therefore you have to shoot an original or replica of an original design. I would think that someone made an underhammer since the original designs date back to the early 1800s. I just need to find some information on one.
If you remember the Irish used Muzzle Loaders against the US Creedmore Team in the early days of the competition. The only reason that they lost the first year of the competition is that one of their team members shot a 5V on the wrong target.

Bob

rhbrink
02-04-2010, 09:54 PM
I haven't read the long rules and don't plan on shooting in any, not going to mention names or places but I have shot in long range rifle matches and seemed to me depends on who you are is how the "rules" are interpreted. Enough said but I would have to think that a underhammer would be legal it was made from the middle 1800's on there are several pictured in Ned Roberts book "THE MUZZLELOADING CAPLOCK RIFLE". Many of these were made by the more famous rifle smiths of the time for target shooting. This is about the only reference that I have and it gives a great account of the Irsh - American match it gives almost shot for shot account of the match, great reading.

Boz330
02-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks, I think my shooting buddy has that book, I'll look into it.

Bob