PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow Will Be 4 Months

44MAG#1
01-29-2010, 06:25 PM
I still haven't seen my gun after 4 months. The gunsmith said a month. One month has so far turned into 4 months.
Let this be a lesson to me and others on getting small jobs done by the ones that make most of their money with full customizations.
I sure have learned a big lesson alright.

MakeMineA10mm
01-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Yeah, that's rough. What job are you waiting for?

targetshootr
01-29-2010, 07:36 PM
That's a lesson we all learn eventually. Not sure why it's like that but it's common in their trade. Maybe when you've got tons of work you have to be.

S.R.Custom
01-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Sometimes you are indeed better off with the local small time gunsmith. Somebody you can pester on the way home from work every day...

To make a successful (substantially profitable) business of gunsmithing/customizing, you have to be efficient with your labor and materials. That means working on guns in "batches." For example... All the guns get stripped down. Then they're given action jobs. Then the cylinders are made. Then the barrels are cut & threaded. And then any other damned thing that might be in the process until they're all polished, blued, and reassembled. Individual guns requiring only specific operations jump in and out of the process depending on what needs to be done.

Sounds to me like you've specified a task that required your gun to be assimilated into the process...

Or, your gun is laying under a magazine somewhere in the office, forgotten. You've been in communication with these folks, right?

mooman76
01-31-2010, 04:11 PM
Tell him you want it back and take your business elswhere.

Lloyd Smale
01-31-2010, 07:36 PM
dont get nervous ive waited 3 and a half years for a gun that was suppose to be less then a year.

Shiloh
01-31-2010, 09:43 PM
A six week rebarrel job took 7 months. Guy got cheesed off when I asked when it would be done. Told him that HE was the one who said six weeks. Live and learn.

Shiloh

NHlever
02-01-2010, 11:36 AM
I sent a revolver back to the manufacturer for a problem with the rear sight, and it's been there two months this week, so I guess we run that risk for any repair. I'm glad I have other things to shoot, and hope to get that one back before I forget that I own it.

Trey45
02-01-2010, 12:36 PM
I've had a single shot shotgun getting a rechamber job sitting in the gunsmiths shop for going on half a year now. The gunsmith told me it would be about 2 weeks. I called last week, he hasn't even started on it! The shotgun is ueless to me the way it is, otherwise I'd have driven out and picked it up.

Suo Gan
02-01-2010, 01:34 PM
They always say a month or six weeks at most. That's how they keep stuff coming in the door.

.45Cole
02-01-2010, 06:43 PM
I think sometimes a person who is good with their trade and is irreplaceable is worth their weight in gold. I have only had a few smith jobs done, but more watch jobs done where it is as bad/worse than you have stated, timewise. I have learned to use the time to anticipate their good work, and simply drop it off and say "whenever, just call". I usually check back every three months or so.

44MAG#1
02-02-2010, 08:43 AM
I guess what rips me is the guy has been extolled on forums as an honest as the day is long type of guy.
Now I am not so sure. Maybe about his knowlege about custom work but, sure not about his delivery time. If he would have said he couldn't give me a time or if he said "I am busier than a 3 legged cat with diarreah (sp)" I could have shopped around or I still could have gone with him.
Anyway I have learned a big lesson.
Anyway the worked amounted to less than 200 dollars. That is how small the job is without divulging what it was or who he is.
Not on here to slam him even tho he may need it when it comes to honesty on his times.
BTW if he didn't want to do the job he could have said so too.

targetshootr
02-02-2010, 10:17 AM
They always say a month or six weeks at most. That's how they keep stuff coming in the door.

Bingo. Not all, but some. Stroh will take a deposit and then call when he's ready for you to send the gun. That's probably the best way to do it.

Farmall 1066
02-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Dont feel too bad. I've had an '03 Springfield at a local "Gunsmith" for the last 6-7 years, waiting on a rebarrel job!!

Bullshop
02-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Why put up with that. Get the gun back and get it to someone that will appreciate getting the work and get it done.
I consider 6-7 years as abuse. At some point it should become obvious to you that he does not want the job. At some point it should become obvious to him that you done care.
BIC/BS

BLTsandwedge
02-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Complain. And again. He'll do the job to get you gone............

Snyd
02-04-2010, 08:02 PM
If it was only a couple weeks overdo that would be one thing. But, 1 month turning in to 4 is unreasonable imo.

45nut
02-04-2010, 09:26 PM
i have been waiting 3 years on a project that was "projected" to take 2 months.

Pistolero
02-04-2010, 09:41 PM
YeaH I think we have all had a similar experience. I needed a scope mounted on a Swedish Mauser 6.5x55mm rifle. Took 7 months and alot of pestering to get it back.

I recently moved away from the city and found a gunsmith in a town not far away. I had a hawken rifle with a broken trigger and a ramrod that was loose. Took it to him and less than 15 minutes and $20 later I was on the way home with a fixed rifle. I think alot depends on where you live.

Archer
02-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I had a old Remington rolling block, that wouldn't
eject the fired case. I took it to a gunsmith, that was supposed to be
good, and he said should be fixed in no more then a week. I checked on it in a week,
a month, 3 months, 4 months, ect. He always had a excuse. I heard he was going out
of business, so I went to pick it up, done or not. He couldn't find it, I went back in about 3 days, and still no rifle. Long story short, I never did get it back. He moved, and I couldn't find out where. I did
run into several other people that he pulled the same trick on. They were all out a rifle or a handgun also. Then I heard he passed away from a drug overdose.
Live and learn I guess.

TDC
02-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Let face it.. It's all about a persons credibility and the public attitude he wants to project..

I don't care if it involves guns, cars, or any kind of specialty work... That attitude is becoming rampant and it's up to all of us to put a stop to it.

When someone promises to repair/customize and return an item within a certain timeline, and they don't, I think we all take it personally. We're being show a level of disrespect that says, "I have your product and I don't have to honor my commitment to you if I don't want to." That person doesn't care if he's showing himself to be a liar to his customers and that should be a red flag to everyone.

I don't care what kind of work I'm having done on anything anymore. If the person I'm having do the work won't put in writing a final delivery date they won't get my business.... period. Sure... there are circumstances beyond a persons control.... parts unavailability, illness, legitimate unknown delays that are unforeseen and are verifiable. But if they have no justification for the delay get your item back immediately and scream your experience with them to the world.....

Bullshop is a good businessman and he hit these situations and solutions right on the button. No one is so in demand or so good at anything that you guys need to put up with this kind of attitude. Their disdain for their customers is usually reflected again in their work. Will you trust it?

If you don't put up with it at least the next person might get some honesty out of the guy.... but I doubt it.. Kick a little a$$ guys. It's your money... your time ...your frustration and justifiable anger these geeks are playing with!!

All you guys go get your stuff back!!!!! :brokenima

HangFireW8
02-04-2010, 11:11 PM
I still haven't seen my gun after 4 months. The gunsmith said a month. One month has so far turned into 4 months.
Let this be a lesson to me and others on getting small jobs done by the ones that make most of their money with full customizations.
I sure have learned a big lesson alright.

Yup. But, you've only learned ONE lesson about how fast gun jobs don't get done.

Try some different jobs, and different gunsmiths, and you'll learn lots more lessons about how fast gun jobs don't get done. :holysheep

-HF

Tazman1602
02-04-2010, 11:14 PM
What Bullshop said.

I've heard all the arguments; "you can't rush an artist", "quality work takes time". blah, blah, blah. I have had a gunshop and been a gunsmith and whenever I told a customer their gun was going to be done it either WAS done or my butt was on the phone telling them WHY it wasn't done ASAP.

OK, if it's going to take six months? TELL ME UP FRONT! That I don't have an issue with...........but tell me a month and then no action after four months?

GIVE ME MY GUN BACK IN THE SAME SHAPE I SENT IT TO YOU PERIOD.

That garbage about prima-donna's don't fly with me, EVER.

just my .0002 worth.

Art

Why put up with that. Get the gun back and get it to someone that will appreciate getting the work and get it done.
I consider 6-7 years as abuse. At some point it should become obvious to you that he does not want the job. At some point it should become obvious to him that you done care.
BIC/BS