PDA

View Full Version : Improvised "Beagling"

klausg
06-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Hey gang-

A little report from this weekend; in response to my advert. for a set of small handles, I ordered a set each from Beagle & Floodgate (Thanks again guys). Beagle was also kind enough to e-mail me some photos and acccounts of his more recent adventures in his enlargement technique of the same name. Well Saturday afternoon rolled around, and when I got home Floodgate's set of handles was waiting for me. Well since I have been staring at my 3118 for nearly two months, well you can probably guess what happened next. I started casting and man that mold throws perfect bullets:mrgreen: . However, per my usual luck, something had to be wrong. I started sizing (@ .314) and no resistance was felt, I measured a couple (no micrometer yet, just calipers) and they were around .311. Yup, I was the proud owner of around 200 perfect undersize boolits! Well this occurred around 2100hrs or so; too late to hit a hardware store, (not too mention Beagle had promised me some of his magic aluminum tape). So I loaded 50 of them, just to see what would happen with them. I threw the rest into the re-melt box and went to bed.

Sunday I went to the range and the results were rather dismal, no leading but it looked more like I was patterning a buckshot load in a 10 gauge than a group @ 25 yds. Now my brain is on fire and my impatient side is coming to the fore. What to do? What can I shim those blocks apart with? I settle for masking tape; figuring if it doesn't work it won't be too much of a mess to clean off. So I 'beagle' my blocks w/ strips of masking tape, (don't try this at home, I'm a trained idiot) and to my surprise it actually works!! Well kinda, I make around 100 before I start getting boolits that look like radar antennae, and give up. I size & lube my 100 boolits and I'm happy. Well almost; bit of advice if you're going to 'beagle' w/masking tape, get it off before the blocks cool. It was a bit of work, but I managed to get all of the baked masking tape off the blocks; just in time for Beagle's package to arrive with, God Bless him, magic aluminum tape:mrgreen: .

The moral of the story: "Beagling" works! And, don't get too impatient.

-Klaus

beagle
06-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Never tried any masking tape. The glue on the aluminum tape is pretty sticky but it normally comes off pretty good with denatured alcahol. That's the beauty of this method, you don't mess up the mould.

When that envelope gets there, you'll have a plenty for a bunch of moulds./beagle

klausg
06-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Further update- I got the magic aluminum tape from Beagle, and it works much better, doesn't turn dark brown and get ugly either. I did around 200 last night with no difficulties. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but it is a single cavity. Thanks again for the input.

-Klaus

SharpsShooter
06-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Further update- I got the magic aluminum tape from Beagle, and it works much better, doesn't turn dark brown and get ugly either. I did around 200 last night with no difficulties. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but it is a single cavity. Thanks again for the input.

-Klaus

Klausg,

It really does work. I bought a roll of the aluminum tape to beagle a 32-120 six cavity group buy for Moodyholler because it was a bit on the small side for his worn out Marlin bores:Fire: and it fixed him up fine. I have cast 1800 of those boolits and it is still doing just what beagle intended.

The darn stuff is expenmsive around here, but I now have a roll big enough to fix moulds for the rest of my life and my son's life too.

Ken O
06-07-2006, 10:58 PM
I'll have to admit that I haven't Beagled a mold. The Lees seem to run small, what I do is take a broken drill bit, (I've got quite a few laying around), open the sprue plate, pour, and quickly stick the drill bit in, trying to keep it centered the best you can. After both cool, I smear valve grinding compound on the cast bullet, stick it into a drill motor and close the mold on it, run the drill motor, and volla.. a couple more thousandths...