PDA

View Full Version : More S&W ?'s

DeadWood
01-29-2010, 03:18 PM
I have new to me model 57. Was handed down from great, great uncle in the box w/ S&W wax paper around it. Looks showroom NEW, except crown seems to have some major blemmishes. Enough i need to have/contact an expert for repair. I'm sure it functions fine, but with the damage may not shot accuretly.

Can some one be kind enough to explain : "K,J,L,etc."frames?

Would like to start looking for a mold also? Mostly for practice/paper killing at first, then would look for one for hunting whitetail.

Not sure what to look for as far as weight of boolit etc.,

Can't see myself shooting more than 200rnds a year so single cavity would be fine.

thanks

sixshot
01-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Deadwood, the different frames sizes are: J frame, thats the little 5 shot guns, the K frame is the next size up & chambered in 38/357 type calibers, the L frame is the very poplular size like the 686 guns & the N frame is the big one, chambered in 41,44 & 45 calibers. Now they are making an even bigger frame, its the X frame for the 460 & 500 guns!

Dick

MT Gianni
01-29-2010, 06:04 PM
57 Should be an N frame 41 mag. 41 mag boolit molds are in short supply as are checks but it should be a good shooter. Look at a custom mold when you get back from someone here or buy some from Bullshop to see what it likes.

9.3X62AL
01-29-2010, 07:59 PM
41 "standard" bullet/boolit weight is 210 grains. RCBS has a 210 grain SWC design that looks pretty decent, Lee has a 195 grain SWC with conventional lube grooves and a TumbleLube design weighing 210 grains. I don't care for their stubby-nose profile, though.

I found a Lyman #410032 in 2004 that has done good work for me--it's a 212 grain SWC with smaller meplat and fatter base band. From 800-1100 FPS, it is great. These are out-of-print, but still around in some number. They use the uber-common #429 top punch, so allied tooling isn't a problem. Plain-base as well, so no Hunt For Non-Existent Gas Checks required.

If a Keith-type boolit or WFN/LFN is your passion, I would give Mountain Molds a try. Dan's software lets you design-your-own with relative creative freedom--offering a wide range of diametric and dimensional options.

If I were in your sitch--the RCBS would be my first choice, CLOSELY followed by Dan at Mountain Molds.

BruceB
01-29-2010, 08:30 PM
My one-and-only .41 mould for the M57 is the RCBS 41-210. With wheelweights, it casts at 217 grains. I wish it cast a thou or so bigger, but it's hard to argue with the results I get with it.

The FIRST load I tried with the RCBS bullet was 17.5 grains of 2400, running 1300 fps from the 8.375" barrel. This was one-raggedy-hole accurate at 25 yards for twelve rounds (twice around the cylinder), and I stopped load development right there. That load has been my "standard" for over 12 years, and it does everything I expect a .41 Magnum to do.

This is a great combination of load and revolver.

MT Gianni
01-30-2010, 01:25 AM
Deadwood, If the 2 posters above me said something Take it to the bank. They know what they talk/post about.

DeadWood
01-30-2010, 03:17 AM
Thank you very much, really appreciate all the help and guidance on this board. I hope to cast for this gun this summer, never really shot it because ammo was so expensive for it. Will start looking for used/new molds and may even buy some boolits to try before.

Thanks again

DeadWood
01-30-2010, 03:23 AM
i'm kicking my self so hard:confused::(
just missed a ebay on the RCBS mold...went for $44, man just my luck