PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning 450 Sizer

JudgeBAC
06-06-2006, 06:10 PM
I recently posted a query about cleaning a 450 sizer. I believe it was Dale53 who suggested taking it apart and putting it in a box and using a hair dryer to melt the old lube. Boy this worked great. My 450 looks new. Now that I've elminated all of the old lube I can try some of LARS 50/50 beeswax alox lube. One further hint, put some paper or paper towels in the box to collect the melted lube. I also used the hair dryer on my sizing dies and top punches. They all look brand new. Try it. It works.

Swagerman
06-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Glad you found that out, the ole hair dryer works really good even on a 2 minute preheat session on a star lube die station and the pump.

I use Lyman alox 50/50 stuff myself...though it can get bit messy if you warm things up too much.

Jim

largecaliberman
06-07-2006, 06:32 AM
JudgeBAC,

Another alternative - imerse the parts in hot boiling water.

9.3X62AL
06-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Ditto to Swagerman's text--a couple minutes' worth of warm-up of the 450 with one of the many used blow dryers that accumulate around here "gets things moving" in cooler weather using Javelina. I don't use the high-temp lubes, dunno if the blow dryer would enable their use.

Bucks Owin
06-07-2006, 11:44 AM
This is "off the trail", but has anyone figured out how to get a 450 to stop leaking out of the bottom "tapered part" of the threaded pressure rod when using the heater?

Some lubes are worse than others in that regard....

Dennis

JudgeBAC
06-07-2006, 02:09 PM
My suggestion is warm it up for 30 mins or so, start sizing bullets and then unplug it. Unless it is very cold, I believe the lube will stay warm enough to size a number of bullets. You can always plug it back in if the lube begins to harden.

mparks
07-05-2006, 09:50 PM
I use a heat gun to quickly melt lube out. Just a little faster than a hair dryer and my wife doesn't complain about alox on the hair dryer:-D

Rangerone
07-06-2006, 12:25 AM
I just up-ended the luber (and all of the old sizer dies) on a old cookie sheet with a few paper towels, put it in the oven at 180 degrees or so and 20 minutes later, all the lube was absorbed into the paper towels...