PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks really needed?

blunt
01-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Hello All,

I'm new here. I am thinking about starting to cast my own and am doing research. I found this article about bullets and lube which is very interesting:

http://www.lasc.us/LubeIngredients.htm

After reading it, however, I question the the need for gas checks as long as your bullets are proberly lubed. Essentially it is saying that barrel leading caused by melted lead in high-pressure (rifle) loads is a myth and that leading is actually due to improper lube. My application would be .30-30 rifle. What are general thoughts on this? If this has been discussed before I would appreciate links to other related threads.

Thanks!

felix
01-29-2010, 01:23 PM
If your boolit is meant for a gas check, use one! This is indeed true across the board. Using fillers can compensate to a large extent for low intensity loads, but then you need to research that arrangement instead. So, poke around for that info. ... felix

Wally
01-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Hello All,

I'm new here. I am thinking about starting to cast my own and am doing research. I found this article about bullets and lube which is very interesting:

http://www.lasc.us/LubeIngredients.htm

After reading it, however, I question the the need for gas checks as long as your bullets are proberly lubed. Essentially it is saying that barrel leading caused by melted lead in high-pressure (rifle) loads is a myth and that leading is actually due to improper lube. My application would be .30-30 rifle. What are general thoughts on this? If this has been discussed before I would appreciate links to other related threads.

Thanks!

You maybe able to shoot w/o them but you will never really know unless you try...all depends on the velocity you wish to attain. If over about 1,600 FPS I would say that you will need them.

rob45
01-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Hey blunt! Welcome to Cast Boolits!

Lots of variables can determine the need for a gas check. The jury is still out on whether the culprit is pressure or velocity. Too much for us to figure out, I guess.

If the bullet is set up for a gas check, I use it. One less headache to figure out if/when things go wrong.
"What's causing my leading/poor accuracy? Should I have used the gas check? Am I driving the bullet too fast? Too slow? Am I using the correct lube? Is the alloy appropriate? Does the bullet fit properly?"

If you do not use the gas check on a bullet designed for such, you leave that part of the base slightly undersized in comparison to the rest of the bullet. To me, it's another chink in the armor.

Again, WELCOME!