PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant shooting high

mastercast.com
01-29-2010, 11:53 AM
I have a good shooting Mosin Nagant(Rifle...not Carbine). The problem is that the rifle shoots about a foot high at 100 yards with the rear sight all the way down.

Is there a source for a taller front sight for these rifles? I have found scope mounts but would like to use iron sights if possible.

jonk
01-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Very common issue.

If a Finn rifle, Tennesse gun parts carries high blade front sights. If Russian, you're kind of SOL. I've seen some do well with a little piece of very thin shrink tube slid over the top of the post front sight.

You could always try some lighter handloads. I presume when you say, 'shoots high' you mean milsurp ammo? Most of my cast loads I set the sights to 300 yards to hit right on at 100.

mastercast.com
01-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks very much for the information jonk.

It is indeed a Russian and I am shooting Russian milsurp ammo.

It looks like it will be wearing a "Scout Scope" shortly.

siamese4570
01-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Mastercast: Those guns were zeroed at three hundred yards with the battle (lowest setting) sight. That puts them about a foot high at 100 as you have discovered. This is common. If you cast for it, you can get around this. the slow lead loads shoot low.

Siamese4570

NickSS
01-29-2010, 04:26 PM
You can also replace the round pin they use for a front sight by taking the sight off the rifle and removing the pin and installing a higher one. I saw a thread on this somewhere but do not remember where.

milsurp mike
01-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Take a small pcs. of tubing and slide it over the front sight pin to make it taller.Mike

captain-03
01-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Put the bayonet on! It will shoot lower ....

Shiloh
01-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Might be something here. http://www.surplusrifle.com/ I saw a Mauser with a piece of brass wire soldered to the top of the front sight to form a bead. Worked well. Might be something for you to consider.

There is a formula to find how much you need to raise the front site. Hopefully others forum members may assist in this formula.

Shiloh

arclight
01-29-2010, 07:06 PM
I turned a little post out of steel that pressed over the stock front sight. I drilled it to be a press fit over the front sight post, and tapped it on with a bit of locktite. Zeroing is done with a file at the range.

Arclight

Might be something here. I saw a Mauser with a piece of brass wire soldered to the top of the front sight to form a bead. Worked well. Might be something for you to consider.

There is a formula to find how much you need to raise the front site. Hopefully others forum members may assist in this formula.

Shiloh

mooman76
01-29-2010, 08:31 PM
I have quite a few old military guns and almost every one shoot about a foot high.

jimb16
01-29-2010, 08:47 PM
That is because they are all set to around 300 yards as point blank zero. I believe the old 03 was set for 347 yards (higher velocity)... The idea was that in combat you didn't have time to determine the range accurately. So if you shot to center of mass, you would most likely get a hit at any range from 10 feet out to 400 yards.

Spudgunr
01-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Many of them the rear most position is NOT all the way down. Many surplus guns have the rearmost position about 300 yards. Look at the grove the slider sits on on your gun, often times the rearmost area is higher, then drops down, then swoops back up. Don't have my mosin handy to see if it is that way, but I know on my sks and ak it is that way.

webfoot10
01-29-2010, 09:00 PM
All you guys with front sight problems, Go to ( www.surplusrifle.com) click on Mosin-Nagant
91/30. On the right side of page is a list of modifications for the mosin 91/30. Look under
front sight modification. This modification is for an adjustable front sight blade. There is a
lot of other information on other mods to make the 91/30 shoot. webfoot10

moose30273
01-29-2010, 09:23 PM
I have not done it but Have thought about it. Why not just file some off the top of the rear sight? I have a couple of these rifles and they do shoot high for me. I just play with them though, no serious shooting. If you take too much off of the top of the sighting notch then you could just deepen it. You should be able to buy another sight leaf cheaply enough so that if you mess up or want to restore the rifle to it's org condition you could. Just a thought.

Beekeeper
01-29-2010, 09:36 PM
They were designed to always have the bayonet attached and will always shoot high without it.
I have a M44 carbine that I took the bayonet iff of and it will shoot 1 1/2 feet hogh at 100 yards.
With all russian rifles there is a sight attached to the bayonet that will lower the rifle to 100 yards or less .

Jim

redneck1
01-29-2010, 11:10 PM
i bought a set of mojo front and rear sights for my nagent i love them if you google mojosights youll find them ok i think adfter shipping both sights and appature card was about 125 bucks ... wich is probly a good bit more than u spent on the rifle but they are very well made oh and the front sight is made just a tad oversize so youll hafta file it to fit

Marcus5aurelius
02-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Take a small pcs. of tubing and slide it over the front sight pin to make it taller.Mike

That's what I did with mine and it fixed the problem really nicely. Took a small tube of black shrink wrap, heat so that it grips the sight than when you take it to the range to sight in, gradually snip away at the wrapping until it's the perfect size. You can't tell that it's there and it shoots great :-)

WILCO
02-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Check this out: http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/mosinfrontsight/index.asp