PDA

View Full Version : S&W revolvers, the best there is??

Pistolero
01-29-2010, 06:27 AM
:bigsmyl2:Hi,

Was wondering today...That all the revolvers I see at the range in the hands of shooters are predominantley Smith & Wesson. I don't ever see Ruger, Colt, Taurus or any others around. The best shooters all seem to use Smith revolvers.

Just about all L frame , but some K frames too. The only DA revolver I've ever owned is a nice 686. It shoots better that I can.

What are your favourite revolvers?

What do you use them for?

:cbpour:

Bret4207
01-29-2010, 07:53 AM
Smith, Smith, Smith, Smith, Smith, Smith, Smith, Smith, ad nauseum........................................... ..........Colt, Ruger.

BruceB
01-29-2010, 07:57 AM
S&W double actions, Ruger single actions....I've never owned an L-frame Smith, but do have J-, K- and N-frames.

Your observation is pretty-much correct...the (ahem) KNOWLEDGEABLE revolver shooters mostly gravitate to S&W guns when using double-actions.

PepperBuddha
01-29-2010, 07:59 AM
All my revolvers are S&W except for three .22's...

dubber123
01-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Nearly all S&W's here, I,J,K,N frames. Ruger has the market for affordable single actions pretty well cornered. Autos I don't have enough of to have developed a brand loyalty.

Whitworth
01-29-2010, 08:36 AM
I don't like to paint with really broad brush strokes, so I will say that Smiths are the best, and so are Rugers. Huh?! It all depends on the use of the revolver -- at least it does for me. I have several Smiths and I love 'em. No nicer action IMO (I know someone with a Python is going to jump in here and take me to task). But, when it comes to hunting revolvers, I prefer Rugers (Redhawks and Super Redhawks) as they are worlds stronger. I have two customs (in .475 and .500 Linebagh) built on Super Redhawks and there are no stronger DA revolvers in existence.

Not a big fan ofthe X-frame as they're just too bulky and unwieldy IMO.

targetshootr
01-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Out of 3 or 4 dozen handguns, I have more Rugers than Smiths by about 3 to 1.

pdawg_shooter
01-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Smiths are good, almost as good as a Colt Python. When I was a dealer (25 years) I sent more Rugers back to the factory than all other brand combined. Some 2,3, or 4 times. No thank yolu on a Ruger.

softpoint
01-29-2010, 09:16 AM
I'd rate my Freedom Arms #1, Smith's #2, Ruger's #3, and then the others! And that is based on out of the box accuracy. Strength? Freedom probably still #1, Ruger #2, Smith a close #3. I think the strength of the Rugers has been enhanced somewhat on computor keyboards. I have had difficult extraction from warm loads happen at about the same level with both. Since I don't blow up my revolvers I cant' verify the "ultimate strength" level, It would go to the Rugers,I'm sure, but I have Smiths that have been fired more than many shooters shoot in a lifetime, that are still tight and accurate. Pythons have wonderful actions, and are accurate, but the two I've owned weren't shot enough to make a determination about durability, although I've heard that a Python might need a "tune up" earlier than other guns. However, folks don't buy Cadillacs in preference to Volkswagens to avoid maintenance,? Generally, what "feels good in the hand", points well for you and fits your budget is the advice I'd give.:coffeecom

dubber123
01-29-2010, 09:29 AM
I agree with softpoints ratings, but would have to throw BFR in there. The OP's observation was based on what he actually sees people shooting. Smiths are much more likely to be seen than a BFR or F/A in the hands of the average shooter. I shoot quite a bit at my local range, and I have seen exactly 1 BFR, and 1 F/A there in the last few years. My F/A, and my brothers BFR. Alot of S&W's, a good bit of Rugers, an occasional Taurus. With some brands your odds of getting a good one on the first try are definately better, but they ALL make junk, just some more often than others.

high standard 40
01-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Dan Wesson revolvers for me. I have a 15-2VH8 357 mag and a 44-V8 44 mag.
At the range I never see an S&W but I shoot IHMSA Silhouette. The dominate revolver here is the Freedom Arms but I can't afford one of thse.

Jack Stanley
01-29-2010, 10:03 AM
I'd say Smith & Wesson uo untill they made the deal with the devil back when the english owned them but then Ruger was more than willing to stop selling high capacity magazines to be friends too . Oh wait ! you wanted to know about the guns themselves huh? :-POne of the most accurate I'd ever fired was a Python and a Diamondback untill I bought a model twenty-nine .

The fellas that shot colts as much as I did needed to get their timing corrected more but not all that much . Ruger wasn't in the picture because the guys that bought them didn't shoot five thousand rounds a year . The Colts I've fired were great in single action mode but not as nice as a Smith in double action fire . Overall the Smith just seemes easier to use either way and for me it was much easier to shoot well using double action . The Ruger is built to fit a price and it does so very well Smith and Colt can't seem to match them there . The Blackhack convertible I had was a forty-five and shot very well . It was hard for me to use I believe because of the long hammer fall but I bet it's making it's owner very happy wherever it is today .

The experience I had with Taurus was in the late eighties and they were bought by the guys that couldn't afford a Ruger . The owners didn't shoot them very much at all and generally didn't say much about them or shooting .

If it wasn't for that "N" frame that I bought new in eighty-five I think I could be content with a "L" frame . It might shoot as well as a Diamondback but yet It would have a good double action in it .

Jack

dubber123
01-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Dan Wesson revolvers for me. I have a 15-2VH8 357 mag and a 44-V8 44 mag.
At the range I never see an S&W but I shoot IHMSA Silhouette. The dominate revolver here is the Freedom Arms but I can't afford one of thse.

Keep beating the bushes for an F/A if thats what you want. Used they can occasionaly be had for a good price. I am going to go look at one tomorrow, if the slugging and general measuring looks good, it will go on my never ending layaway list. Cost is $800, cheap for an F/A.

44man
01-29-2010, 11:01 AM
The problem with the S&W for IHMSA is they are too grip sensitive. Changing the grips does help but not enough. They shoot better off hand.
I love the S&W's but from an IHMSA background, I do not have any left, had a pile of them.
They shot the smallest groups for me of any revolvers but I could never maintain the same hold when I put the gun down and picked it up again. Group size never changed but the POI did.
I have the same problem with a Bisley grip and do not get the accuracy from them because of my hands. I find the old hog leg the least sensitive to how I hold the gun but I need Pachmeyer grips.
It is a personal thing to how the gun fits you. I can't shoot a Redhawk but I can shoot the SRH. Those little differences in grip angles, etc, have more meaning to me then who made the gun. It is why I like the BFR, Ruger and Colt single action grips the best.
Since everyone has different hands, that is what governs your favorite guns more then anything even if you never think about it.
Much is recoil based so you can not compare a .38 or .357 S&W with a .44 S&W. I owned a K38 and a model 27, I believe it was, and accuracy was out of sight but the .44, 29, gave me trouble with POI.
Everyone likes a different gun and it depends on how you can shoot it, so there is no answer. If I wanted a .38 or .357, I would buy a S&W but for a .44, I would buy Ruger SRH or SBH and for larger calibers, I want the BFR's. Personal!

Bass Ackward
01-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Well, I have to say that I am disappointed in most everything today considering what they want for them.

Without sounding like I am crying over problems of which there were many, it took about 2000 rounds through each one (6 new guns) to get them to be able to seal lube on a bullet and have accuracy actually come round.

Char-Gar
01-29-2010, 12:50 PM
When it comes to sixguns, I favor a good SMith and WEsson DA by a good measure. The old Colts are also very good. Rugers? Well, I consider a SA Ruger to be a good platform on which to build a good revolver, with the expenditure of some money and sweat.

I need to say, I have not bought a new Smith in the past 20 years. All of mine were acquired before that or are of that vintage or older. I have zero experience with the current crop of Smith and Wesson pistols.

When it comes to autopistols, I am a 1911 and Browning Hi-Power man all the way. You can keep the rest.

Uncle R.
01-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Smith & Wessons definitely vary in quality depending on when they were manufactured, and who owned the company at the time. I've owned a few that did not impress me, and I've heard some horror stories about quality.
<
That said - a good S&W is a joy, and my favorite DA revolver by far. I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you exactly when the best were made - but I'd certainly take a hard look at a nice one from the 50s or the early 60s - and most likely I'd reach for my wallet.

Bullshop
01-29-2010, 02:33 PM
When S&W quit pinning barrels and went to crush fitting them that was it for me.
I could see the down hill turn just like Winchester.
Now just like buying a truck I look for a good condition older one.
I dont see many good reports on any guns from any maker lately. I have seen a lot of griping about Rugers.
I have for some time now been hunting for a 357 and have been looking at used Ruger and Smith single and double action.
Unable to get used at used price I bought a Ruger Bisley new at $400.00 + $15.00 shipping. I was a bit worried about what I would get according to what I have been reading about Ruger.
After slugging and a couple 100 rounds through it I must say I couldnt be more pleased.
Cylinders mic a fairly consistent .3597 and barrel groove is .3574. There is no constriction at the barrel thread / frame area and there seemed to be an ever so slight taper at the muzzle.
Favorite magnum load so far is with the RCBS 200gn rifle boolit and 13gn 2400 with a heavy crimp over the lead drive band. It went 1320fps average for 10 shots with an 11 SD. Be aware that this may be too hot for thinner cylinders revolvers but for this gun they are normal with fired cases slipping easily from each chamber.

BTW I had some wolf springs lying about so did change both the trigger return and hammer spring. After a couple 100 shots the trigger is all I could ask for as is the overall performance.
Would a new S&W be better?
BIC/BS

dubber123
01-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Smith & Wessons definitely vary in quality depending on when they were manufactured, and who owned the company at the time. I've owned a few that did not impress me, and I've heard some horror stories about quality.
<
That said - a good S&W is a joy, and my favorite DA revolver by far. I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you exactly when the best were made - but I'd certainly take a hard look at a nice one from the 50s or the early 60s - and most likely I'd reach for my wallet.

I have some from the early 1900's through to present day. The older teens, 20's-30's guns are beautifully finished. Something is lost in translation with the new CNC guns. The handwork on the older guns is evident, and showed someone cared. Back then you got fired for putting junk together. [smilie=1: I have a few built on the new equiptment, and the tolerances are right on. I can't say they shoot measureably better than some older guns, but the numbers say they should. I had some awful stuff from S&W in the early 90's.

Dale53
01-29-2010, 03:06 PM
I would have to say my favorites are most S&W. I am a serious shooter (not a collector) so that makes a difference. However, to be honest, I have a number of excellent Rugers, also. I have two deer hunting revolvers (an S&W Model 29 scoped 8 3/8" and a Ruger scoped Red Hawk 7½"). I preferred the Smith but on bad weather days, I would ALWAYS take the Ruger. I got as many deer with the Ruger as I did with the Smith.

My latest handguns are Ruger Single actions. I have been EXTREMELY happy with them.

Talking about favorite makes is really a good bit about "Cheverolet or Ford". If we were honest, it would't make a rats a$$ which we use. The shooter makes the difference. The great playright, George Bernard Shaw, said it all, "Comparisons are odious"!!:mrgreen:

Dale53

Multigunner
01-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Smiths are good, almost as good as a Colt Python. When I was a dealer (25 years) I sent more Rugers back to the factory than all other brand combined. Some 2,3, or 4 times. No thank yolu on a Ruger.

I've also had problems with Rugers quality control.
One new .357 my brother had been offered at a greatly reduced price was probably the worst I've seen.
The store owner let him take it out for a test firing.
He asked me to fire it first .
The bullets, .357, could be seen spining sideways through the air, and not a one came within a foot of can no more than thirty feet away.
When I looked down the bore, which I should have done to begin with, I found the lands with concentric cuts from one end to the other.
Apparently a chip had been caught in the reamer before rifling and no one even looked before finishing out the barrel.
How anyone could let a pistol leave the factory like that I'll never understand.

Years before I had to take a Bearcat back when it spit lead in my face at every shot. I never figured out why till I ran across a page on the bearcats a couple of years ago. It turns out that quite a few of the early production Bearcats had made it past inspection with no forcing cone cut at all.
the bullets were being engraved right at the gap with the displaced lead being blasted off the base.
How lead got from the cylinder gap all the way to the shooters face at arms length is still a mystery, but could be it somehow bounced off the inside of the frame.

PS
For the main question, for a Single Action I'd prefer a Colt. For a Double action I'd prefer a Colt to a Smith if both were in new or excellent condition, but if both were worn to any extent I'd prefer a Smith to a Colt.
The Colt lock up handles wear less well than the Smith.

S.R.Custom
01-29-2010, 04:03 PM
If someone made a double action revolver as well as Freedom Arms makes a single action, I'd probably own only one handgun.

exile
01-29-2010, 04:07 PM
I have two Smiths. The other day I took my Ruger SP-101 in .327 Federal out to shoot some .32 H & R mags, two out of three cylinders, one shell did not eject and was stuck behind the ejector. Maybe the rim diameter on the H & R is different than the .327 Federal (I need to check) but that did not give me a great deal of confidence since I bought the gun as a self-defense firearm. Anyway, that is the long way around to say if I wanted a double action I would buy a Smith if I could afford it, and if I wanted a single-action (no big news) I would buy a Ruger. However, Ruger makes affordable guns in double-action in calibers Smith and Wesson will not touch (at least not at a price I can afford) so there is that. For what its worth. [smilie=f:

9.3X62AL
01-29-2010, 04:40 PM
I have lots of all three revolver makers' products (Colt, Ruger, S&W). Single- and double-actions. I must be a George Bernard Shaw advocate.

Bucks Owin
01-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Well, my two centavos: Love my M19-4 1979 vintage S&W Combat Magnum, (But would swap in a heartbeat for a nice Python) thought my M29-2 was OK but had no problem letting it go to own a 10" Flattop Ruger (which was more accurate in my hands). My Old Model Super Single Six shoots rings around my New Model SS6. Love OM and FT Rugers, like NM's, love Colts, like S&W, badly want a FA M-83 and would sure play with a BFR if the occasion arrived....Loved old Fords, despised Chevys love old Willys but wouldn't own a Chrysler...(But am amazed at my 350K miles '92 Cherokee!) So, there ya go, ya seen me in my underwear! LOL! :groner: (Oh BTW, would NEVER, NEVER sell any of my Winchester P-64 M-70's and M-12's, but put Remington in with the Chevys!)

Bullshop
01-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Supermag
Have you ever heard of the Korth double action revolver? I think they were made in Germany. From what I have read they are what you described, a double action made like a Freedom arms.
BIC/BS

MakeMineA10mm
01-29-2010, 08:03 PM
I'd rate my Freedom Arms #1, Smith's #2, Ruger's #3, and then the others! And that is based on out of the box accuracy. Strength? Freedom probably still #1, Ruger #2, Smith a close #3. I think the strength of the Rugers has been enhanced somewhat on computor keyboards. I have had difficult extraction from warm loads happen at about the same level with both. Since I don't blow up my revolvers I cant' verify the "ultimate strength" level, It would go to the Rugers,I'm sure, but I have Smiths that have been fired more than many shooters shoot in a lifetime, that are still tight and accurate. Pythons have wonderful actions, and are accurate, but the two I've owned weren't shot enough to make a determination about durability, although I've heard that a Python might need a "tune up" earlier than other guns. However, folks don't buy Cadillacs in preference to Volkswagens to avoid maintenance,? Generally, what "feels good in the hand", points well for you and fits your budget is the advice I'd give.:coffeecom

I would have to say my favorites are most S&W. I am a serious shooter (not a collector) so that makes a difference. However, to be honest, I have a number of excellent Rugers, also. I have two deer hunting revolvers (an S&W Model 29 scoped 8 3/8" and a Ruger scoped Red Hawk 7½"). I preferred the Smith but on bad weather days, I would ALWAYS take the Ruger. I got as many deer with the Ruger as I did with the Smith.

My latest handguns are Ruger Single actions. I have been EXTREMELY happy with them.

Talking about favorite makes is really a good bit about "Cheverolet or Ford". If we were honest, it would't make a rats a$$ which we use. The shooter makes the difference. The great playright, George Bernard Shaw, said it all, "Comparisons are odious"!!:mrgreen:

Dale53

These two are right on point with my experiences. The majority of my DA revolvers are S&W and most of my SA revolvers are Ruger. I've got a colt SF-VI (modern-made stainless Det. Spl. basically), and I've recently played with a Python for the second time.

Basically, my take on it is this: The S&W double-action trigger system is the easiest for me to hit with.

I know the Python has a great reputation as being better, but I found it's stacking / shift of the weight of pull during the DA pull to be unmanageable. Maybe if I'd spent more time with it, this would be different, but when you also kick in the prices that Colt charged for Pythons, it became one of those "someday" guns. (And, someday never came...) I like the SF-VI (and I've owned a Det. Spl. and a Cobra in the past), but it's no better or worse than the Smiths, in general, but it has the backwards cylinder latch and stacking DA trigger pull, so it's not my #1 favorite.

I've handled and shot several Ruger GP-100s and I think they're a fine revolver for the money, but they're significantly heavier and bulkier and they're trigger is just not as nice. I've got a couple internet friends who have described spring kits and trigger jobs that reportedly get them adjusted to very close to a S&W, and I don't doubt it.

Basically, I wouldn't feel poorly armed with ANY of them, but my preference, especially for an out-of-the-box DA revolver would be a S&W. Trigger, feel, the whole combination of all the little things make it preferable to the competition, but I wouldn't feel upset/bad if I had a Ruger or Colt.

As far as Single Actions go, I've left Colt and went Ruger. I've got a handful of them now, and they're not bad at all. Like most, the newer they are, the more challenging it is to find one that is made right, or so it seems.... (Old timer's used to say the same thing, about the stuff we think is keen now, didn't they??) I'd really love to get a Freedom Arms, but for now, they've priced themselves out of my range. Someday... At least they offer higher quality for the price, as opposed to Colt who offers the privilege of owning a gun with "COLT" stamped on it for a high price (and no better quality than 150 years ago...). If I bought a Colt SAA these days, I'd look for a 2nd Gen. or 3rd Gen., but the prices on those are getting ridiculous for a decent one, and we're still talking all the foibles of the Colt SAA design. (Screws loosening and springs breaking, etc.) A New Vaquero is preferable to me.

69daytona
01-29-2010, 08:59 PM
I have a little bit of everything, mostly S&Ws, Dan Wesson 44 pistol pac, some old first gen colts,
ruger 22 and a few uberti clone SAAs and a tauras 357 snubby. all shoot great with the right bullets
Love em all but the old Dan Wesson is hard to beat.

BD
01-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Dan Wesson. M15 and 744. The best trigger I've ever pulled was on my S&W M37, but I've worn it out, not even 20,000 rounds and it's out of time and the firing pin bushing is worn off center.
BD

deltaenterprizes
01-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Korth is a very expensive well made revolver.

The new breed of S&W revolvers leave a lot to be desired. The haammer and trigger are MIM(metal injection molded) not forged like the old ones and the prices are outrageous.
Look for the older S&Ws and scoop them up at half of a new one, better gun, better price.

Yes, I love my older Smiths

S.R.Custom
01-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Supermag
Have you ever heard of the Korth double action revolver? I think they were made in Germany. From what I have read they are what you described, a double action made like a Freedom arms.
BIC/BS

Interesting. Price seems kind of steep, tho.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=143670646

But seriously, it looks like an interesting gun. Their website shows no activity since '03, tho, and very few have come up for sale on gunbroker. It does not appear they made a .44, either, a pre-requisite for my "only handgun."

txbirdman
01-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Chargar nailed it for me. I've had Colt revolvers and sold them. The pinned barreled S&W's I've mostly kept except for a 4" 29-2 that was brutal on my hand. In single actions I love the feel of my SAA but shoot the Ruger's more and if JMB didn't have a hand in developing the auto pistol I don't like it.

machinisttx
01-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Supermag
BIC/BS

Korth revolvers, new, are about $5,000 now for a base model I think. Expensive enough for a federal excise tax anyway....

http://www.korthusa.com/revolver_en.htm#

Bullshop
01-30-2010, 12:21 AM
OUCH!!! I remember them being expensive but not that much.
Shure would like to pinch off a couple shots with one.
BIC/BS

Mumblypeg
01-30-2010, 01:05 AM
If you're talking DA, Smith. Single action, Ruger. Look around, what do the competative shooters use? I've seen more comp guns built on Smith actions than any other. Like rifles, 700 Rem actions. I've sold all the Colt DA's that I've ever owned, Still have most of the Smiths. What ever works for you...

Halfbreed
01-30-2010, 01:22 AM
I had only 1 S&W, 629-5, a 3"bbl, carried great, accuracy was poor, carried it as a ccw. 44spcls on the streets, then heavy mags in the woods.
had lots of timing problems, cylinder would lock up bad, flame cutting of both the top strap, and the cylinder face off center, bent crane without being abused,
It went back to the factory twice, it came back in worse shape than it was sent in the first time. Second time only a week later, they reamed the cylinder throats with what looked like a hand held die grinder, I could not beleive it.
Customer service was terrible and I traded it for a Ruger P-97, apples to oranges I know, but it goes bang every time I squeeze the triger, Then when I go woods bummin, I pack the Taurus rb in 45colt, also hunt with the RB accuracy is so much more than the 629 ever could be.
So to wrap it up, I will never own a S&W anything. Not because i think they are all junk. But because for me their CS dropped the ball big time. They did not care that this was a ccw.
John

jack19512
01-30-2010, 06:48 AM
I had only 1 S&W, 629-5, a 3"bbl, carried great, accuracy was poor, carried it as a ccw.

had lots of timing problems, cylinder would lock up bad, flame cutting of both the top strap, and the cylinder face off center, bent crane without being abused

And this was your choice for a ccw. :veryconfu

Four Fingers of Death
01-30-2010, 07:30 AM
The double actions that I predominately have are Smiths because they are well finished, accurate and reasonably priced. The Single actions that I predominately have are Rugers because they are well finished, accurate and reasonably priced.

I have had no experience with Ruger Double Actions or Big Bore Smiths.

I think that the main reason that the Smiths are so popular here in combat matches is that they were easier to tune than the Cobras when they were availible, cheaper and most guys shot them because most guys shot them if you get my meaning. In cowboy stuff, get two possees of 12 travelling together through the scenarios and you will possibly see someone with clones, maybe two and the rest shooting Rugers, both new and old model Vaqs and ROAs. Hell for stout and ultra reliable.

My USAFs are better finished but were more than twice the price of the Rugers when new.

Smiths DAs and Ruger SAs, they work and they make sense!

lets see,

3xSmiths, all in 38 or 357 (I was sure that there is more than that down there, I'll have to have a look).

9x Ruger SAs (make that 11 if the deal to buy back the 45 BH Convertibles I sold comes off),

5x Colt SA Clones

1x Colt 1911

1x old Colt Po Po.

1x 92FS (about to be replaced by a 1911 or a Glock)

++++ lotza odds and ends!

;D

RSOJim
01-30-2010, 08:58 AM
As a range officer, I see all brands on the firing lines. Mostly S & W"s shot single action, then Ruger single actions with a smathering of Redhawks thrown in. I hardly ever see a Colt double action, but I do see old Colt single actions from time to time. Taurus, well from what I understand from most shooters that have bought them is that they have been returned for factory warranty repair and will be sold if and when they get them back. thanks Jim

dubber123
01-30-2010, 09:12 AM
As a range officer, I see all brands on the firing lines. Mostly S & W"s shot single action, then Ruger single actions with a smathering of Redhawks thrown in. I hardly ever see a Colt double action, but I do see old Colt single actions from time to time. Taurus, well from what I understand from most shooters that have bought them is that they have been returned for factory warranty repair and will be sold if and when they get them back. thanks Jim

You sound like you work at my range...

Bret4207
01-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Just a note- if I were to have to choose a Ruger DA, it would hands down be the Security-Six over the GP100. Never seen an inaccurate SS, even with the clink from the transfer bar. Good gun.

I never got the itch for the Python. Shot a few, shot a lot more Official Police and Officers Models, lots of Dicks. Colts okay, but they made a better auto than a DA, and Smith made a better DA than an auto.

dubber123
01-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Bret, if you've never seen a bad Security Six, I have one to show you...

NickSS
01-30-2010, 02:57 PM
I have owned a lot of S&W wheel guns (probably around 50) but only own one now (Mod 10 Victory model) They all shot well and I liked them for what they were bought for. The only revolver (DA) that I feel is a Cadillac is the Colt Python and Diamondbacks. Of course you can only find them used as no one could afford one if it was made to the same quality today. For General shooting I like Ruger DA revolvers and Uberti SA revolvers. I own a few Ruger SA revolvers and really do not care for them much as I find them too heavy and poorly ballanced. They shoot well though. So I guess I would rate DA revolvers as Old Colts, Rugerm S&W, and Taurus. I only owned one Dan Wesson and it was so long ago I do not have a feel for them but I do not see many at my club.

longhorn
01-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Over the last 35 years, I've owned revolvers by S&W, Colt (including Diamondbacks and a Custom Shop Python), Ruger, Taurus, Webley, Rossi, Armscorp (Phillipines), FIE, all the Italian single actions, Seville, Freedom Arms, Rossi, Astra, High Standard, Abilene, Great Western, Armininius, a Hammerli Dragoon, and probably some I either can't recall or am blocking from my memory; all that get safe space now are S&W and Ruger--and I plan on paying for gunsmithing on either brand if I buy a new one--maybe not the way it should be, but the way it is. I like both companies' double actions, the Smith's are prettier. I'd buy another Freedom Arms, though, if I ran across one I wanted and could afford--and figure on it being mechanically perfect. Of course, those are single actions!

quasi
01-31-2010, 12:58 AM
most of my d/a revolvers are Smiths, they are all pinned barrel models.

rbuck351
01-31-2010, 08:31 AM
I have 2 M28 Smiths and a M17 and a couple of Rugers but my favorite is an old Colt Officers Model Special in 38 spl.

Bret4207
01-31-2010, 10:14 AM
Bret, if you've never seen a bad Security Six, I have one to show you...

Really? I'm surprised. Never saw one that didn't shoot great, work great and handle pretty good. Pythons on the other hand I've seen a few that were dogs.

Bret4207
01-31-2010, 10:21 AM
I have owned a lot of S&W wheel guns (probably around 50) but only own one now (Mod 10 Victory model) They all shot well and I liked them for what they were bought for. The only revolver (DA) that I feel is a Cadillac is the Colt Python and Diamondbacks.

Shows you how perception works. I always thought the Smiths were a cut above the Colts right across the board. To each their own.

dubber123
01-31-2010, 10:25 AM
Really? I'm surprised. Never saw one that didn't shoot great, work great and handle pretty good. Pythons on the other hand I've seen a few that were dogs.

I had never heard of a bad one either. This one didn't shoot for beans, I tried firelapping, no help. I finally shined a bright light at the rear of the cylinder, and you can see 3 pretty badly aligned chambers. Kinda explains the wild flyers. Complaints with this model do seem rare.

Four Fingers of Death
01-31-2010, 11:15 AM
The Korths are exceptionally made revolvers and are made out of a much harder long wearing steel like the Peters Stahl or whatever its called 1911 auto (and I think there is a big Euro DA revolver called the Artemis or something). I thought the Korths were $AU6000 many years ago. Super expensive.

While I've never owned one the French made Manhurin is a great revolver which is exceptionally made and very accurate. My mate who was a Master grade combat shooter could group all his shots in a ragged hole which wasn't bigger than a couple of inches accross at 50 yards, from the prone or around the barricade. He made it look easy.

Limey
02-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi FFoD,

From what I have learnt since living in France for the last 8 and a half years is that Manhurins are built around Ruger frames.....that does not make them a bad gun though......just the opposite.

They do not seem that common over here with local shooters....mostly S & W's in modern weapons whereas it seems compulsory that every French shooter must own a Model 1892......this was there military issue revolver back in the day......these robust guns saw service in both World Wars and there are competitions especially for them through out France..........finding brass for them is hard but the guy's turn down 44 Special brass and get very good results.

Me?........got a Colt Python.......it was an unaffordable dream when I was a young man.....then a couple of years ago I happened on a real 'sleeper', no wear, just like new, tight as a drum and really cheap since auto's were the flavour of the month and shops were desperate to sell their revolvers to buy in the latest cash crop of autos.

Safe shooting,

Limey

Four Fingers of Death
02-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Manhurins have been around a lot longer than Rugers I would have thought. My mate has one, I will try and get a look at it.

Four Fingers of Death
02-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Don't look much like Rugers to me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MR_38_Match_MA27147_01.jpeg

I looked at one years ago and couldn't get over how smooth the barrels and chambers were. They are both hammer forged which explains it.

Here is another link (it is a mighty big link it seems), it shows the MR 88 SX 4" which definetly looks like it is made on a Ruger fram and cylinders. I have never struck one of them, just the 73s which have been around since the 70s and they are an awesomly smooth and accurate gun. Sorry about that, never heard of the 88 till now.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.littlegun.be/arme%2520francaise/artisans%2520m%2520n%2520o/manurhin%2520revolver%2520mr93-01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.littlegun.be/arme%2520francaise/artisans%2520m%2520n%2520o/a%2520manurhin%2520gb.htm&h=1316&w=956&sz=215&tbnid=U_Vs7RoV9azRoM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=109&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmanurhin%2Brevolver&usg=__TunY2aFg3GMS1vszRPiu7Qscxhk=&ei=WfNoS7JUj5OQBc2aybYN&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=5&ct=image&ved=0CBUQ9QEwBA