PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY - pictures of my Ruger .44 Lipsey Special

Dale53
01-29-2010, 03:30 AM
I finally got around to taking pictures of my Ruger .44 Lipsey Special. What's so "special" about a Lipsey Special? To me, it is a combination of a most worthwhile cartridge, an all steel, nice handling revolver that has accuracy plus. Like most .44 Special platforms (including my Cimarron 4 3/4", my S&W Model 24 with 6½" barrel, and my two S&W Model 624's (a 4" and a 6½") they all have the characteristic of shooting the same weight bullet to the same point of impact regardless of the velocity. AND, this works at least to 100 yards. My home range is limited to a max of 100 yards so I have not experimented with the farther distances with this caliber.

I have a recoil problem with my shooting hand (base of the thumb) so I shoot Pachmayrs on everything. I truly like the way that they handle and I am untroubled with recoil (at least up to and including my TC .375 JDJ):

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers4Selects-0392.jpg

Here it is in Red Dog Leather:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers4Selects-0395.jpg

Dale53

fivegunner
01-29-2010, 05:38 AM
Very nice looking handgun and holster .:bigsmyl2:

targetshootr
01-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Nice. I imagine lots of those will be getting Powers #5 grip frames. And with holly grips, about perfect.

Thumbcocker
01-30-2010, 02:46 PM
I did a lot of horse trading and swapping to get mine converted to a Bisley. Best handling handgun that I own. Now Lispey's is making a run of Bisleys. Just my luck.

AnthonyB
01-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Dale; which model grips are those? I'd like to try a set on mine.
Tony

Dale53
01-30-2010, 06:41 PM
AnthonyB;
I have some good news and some bad news about the grips. They are made for the Colt SSA. They don't quite fit perfectly but fit good enough for me. It is necessary to remove the grip locator roll pin in the grip frame. That's the good news. The bad news is that they are no longer available new. However, a GOOD internet friend sent me a pair (he has small hands and prefers wood). Later I found three pairs (that I shared with a friend) on Ebay (brand new, old stock). There were plenty of them made and there are still some of them floating around. I suggest you get online and start looking.

I wish you much good luck in your endeavors - I DO believe, with a bit of luck you will find a pair. I put a pair on both of my new Black Hawks (the .44 Lipsey Special and my 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum).

FWIW
Dale53

targetshootr
01-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Bear Paw grips can make you some holly grips for a very reasonable price. You might ask for oversized cause he normally makes gunfighter style.

knifemaker
01-30-2010, 07:07 PM
If you want rubber grips that extends the grip, Ruger has Hogue rubber grips for the new model Blackhawk 44 special. The price was in the 20's for the grips. should be a good asset when firing hot 44 special loads. Go to the Ruger web site and check for grips under the New blackhawk page.
I also bought one of the Lipsey Ruger Blackhawk 44 specials with the 5-1/2 inch barrel. So far it has proven to be one of my most accurate revolvers and only beaten by my old PPC competition S&W revolver which had a custom Davis bull barrel.

Bullshop Junior
01-30-2010, 07:19 PM
You can still buy them grips from pachmayr. I had a set on my Ruger BH 45 Colt when I had it. Look the same to me.

9.3X62AL
01-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Dale--

GORGEOUS MACHINE, sir!

Bullshop Junior
01-30-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't understand....
What it so special about this gun? it looks like any other Ruger BH with Pach's on it to me....

kelbro
01-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Great looking pistol.

c.r.
01-30-2010, 10:07 PM
I don't understand....
What it so special about this gun? it looks like any other Ruger BH with Pach's on it to me....

first it is a new model flattop on Ruger's medium frame platform. So it does not look the same as other new model Ruger BHs.

Other than the recent 50th anniv 357 ruger blackhawk (another new model medium flattop frame), this sized frame hasn't been available from Ruger since '72. And this size platform with a flat topstrap hasn't been available from Ruger since '63, (or maybe it was '62)

second, it is in 44 special. people have been asking for Ruger to offer the 44 special cartridge in the medium frame since the very beginning when it debuted in '53. Even Elmer Keith wrote in his Sixguns book, the 44 special would soon follow the .357. I don't guess he new it would take what 50+ yrs?:D

Many folks have spent a little bit of their money converting O.M Rugers to 44 specl. Now Ruger has made them available at a reasonable price.

Ultimaltey, this is just one of those things that you dig or don't dig.

~c.r.

Bullshop Junior
01-30-2010, 10:10 PM
first it is a new model flattop on Ruger's medium frame platform. So it does not look the same as other new model Ruger BHs.

Other than the recent 50th anniv 357 ruger blackhawk (another new model medium flattop frame), this sized frame hasn't been available from Ruger since '72. And this size platform with a flat topstrap hasn't been available from Ruger since '63, (or maybe it was '62)

second, it is in 44 special. people have been asking for Ruger to offer the 44 special cartridge in the medium frame since the very beginning when it debuted in '53. Even Elmer Keith wrote in his Sixguns book, the 44 special would soon follow the .357. I don't guess he new it would take what 50+ yrs?:D

Many folks have spent a little bit of their money converting O.M Rugers to 44 specl. Now Ruger has made them available at a reasonable price.

Ultimaltey, this is just one of those things that you dig or don't dig.

~c.r.
Oh Ok. We got some of those on order from our Ruger distributor.

NHlever
01-31-2010, 12:09 AM
Well, finally! You sure have been waiting for that one Dale! I just found one the other day too, and today I got some ammo loaded for it. Mine has a blemish in the finish on the trigger guard from the factory so it's not as good looking as yours! Soon as the weather gets over single digits, I'll get it out to the range.

Tazman1602
01-31-2010, 12:40 AM
Man Dale that is a NICE looking gun. Looks like any other BH but the .44 Special cal makes it REALLY "special". Personally I don't have much use for .44 Mag (don't hit me too hard fella's..........) but I really like the .44 Special because of the reduced recoil and muzzle blast.

I've got a carry gun, Taurus .44 Special bobbed hammer five shot 2.5" barrel and it is a shooter. 44 Special is still big enough a slug to drive an attacker back three feet with every shot if needed and it carries nice.

I can't figure out why Ruger says there's not a market for the .44 Special in BH or even Vaquero because I'd like one...............

Art

Dale53
01-31-2010, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the kind words, fellows and gals. I have been working at refining my photography with my studio set up. I believe it is working...

I'll explain a little bit more for those that haven't handled the .44 Lipsey Special. Lipsey Distributors talked Ruger into running 2000 of these. 1000 were with 4 5/8" barrels and 1000 were 5½" barrels (there is a rumor that actually they made a few more). At any rate, these were so well received that this year they will be running some Bisley Flattops (again, on the medium frame) and also some Stainless Black Hawks on the medium frame.

My preference would be the Bisley frame in stainless. However, I have become so attached to my present one (pictured here) that I will NOT be trading it off. It is here to STAY! I had a trigger job done and added the Pachmayr grips. It shoots well under an inch at 25 yards and definitely handles better than my large frame Rugers. However, it is not much lighter due to it being all steel (grip frame AND ejection frame). I prefer all steel and am willing to live with the weight. It sure is a pleasure to shoot the Skeeter load.

Indoors I use the Group Buy 200 gr WC and 4.0 grs of Bullseye. Outdoors that works fine to 50 yards and for edible small game. However, my outdoor favorite load has to be the Skeeter load (250 gr Keith and 7.5 grs of Unique).

My Keith bullet of choice is the MiHec H&G#503 Clone. MiHec is now shipping the new H&G #503 Cramer style, brass, two cavity bullet mould. It comes complete with three different hollow point pins that will give us a perfect choice for .44 Special loads or barn burning .44 Magnum loads. That'll be the perfect companion to my several .44 Specials as well as my .44 Magnums.

I can hardly wait to get the new mould.

Dale53

knifemaker
01-31-2010, 06:43 AM
Dale53

I also use the Skeeter load with the Keith 250 Gr. as my everyday load. I use the same boolit backed by 15gr. of 2400 for hunting. The chony gave me a average of 1095 fps for the hunting load and no signs of excessive pressure. Now you know why I plan to put extended rubber grips on mine for fast followup shots.

Jack Stanley
01-31-2010, 09:58 AM
c.r. Thanks for the explaination , I don't know the ins and outs of the different frames but I did remember the top strap is different . I had to go back and look at the picture again ( real torture huh? ) It does look nice in that holster setup .

Taz , That's just the way Ruger does business . In the late seventies I wrote them asking to buy a full diameter barrel for the 10/22 . No sights , no nothing , just chambered and ready to bolt onto a frame tell me how much and I'll send it . They wrote back saying ; There is no market for such a barrel and we won't sell you one , enjoy your rifle as it is ......... Dummy !!! Several years later a friend of mine bought a 10/22 brand new with a barrel that I wanted years earlier . Over the years you learn about people huh? [smilie=b: It's good to know they aren't the only manufacturer like that .

I wonder how many they'd sell if it was made up like Dale's revolver as a regular production run .

Jack

Ben
01-31-2010, 10:30 AM
Dale :

Great photos, nice looking leather.

Thanks again for putting me onto the idea of using the Colt SAA grips. It took a little work with my Dremel to relocate that pin that you describe , but it worked and I'm very happy with my new grips. Like you say, the grips don't fit 100%, but they fit good enough for me.

Makes the revolver feel completely different in my big hands.

Ben

Dale53
01-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the pleasant comments, friends.

If any of you have this revolver, or the S&W Model 24 or 624, the NRA Reloading Handbook (titled "Handloading") has an excellent article on reloading the .44 Special complete with pressure data. I have a copy of that article and would be happy to send it by Email to anyone who writes me direct:

rmcgee at zoomtown dot com.

Dale53

Landric
01-31-2010, 01:57 PM
Ruger has actually added the .44 Special Blackhawk to their regular catalog for 2010. I'm planning on getting one myself, as I missed out on the Lipsey guns.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBlued/specSheets/5232.html

I would imagine this is because of how well the Lipsey guns were received. I'm going to get mine as soon as I can, just in case it turns out to be a short addition to the regular production line.

Trey45
01-31-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm hot on the trail of a Lipseys Bisley 44 special. Nice gun you have there Dale, congrats!

NHlever
01-31-2010, 02:17 PM
This year Lipsey's has the Bisley Flattops in .44 Special....... 4 5/8", and 5 1/2".

Edit: Oops! I guess Dale already mentioned this, and I missed that post. Wonder if a standard grip frame would fit for those with grip problems....... ? Maybe I'll try that later, and see.

Dale53
01-31-2010, 03:16 PM
"WhatCheer" is the gentleman who put me on to the Pachamyr grips (SAA for the XR3 grip).

What most don't realize, Pachmayr grips for the original flat top frame won't fit. The new XR3 grip frame is not the same thickness as the original Black Hawk frame. THAT's why the Colt SAA grips are necessary.

FWIW
Dale53

GLL
02-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Does anyone own one of the new Bisley .44s ?

Jerry

leadman
02-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Do the new Vaqueros' have an alloy grip frame and ejector housing? If so that might be a nice outfit in 44 Special.
I reliaze it would limit the loads that would work.

AnthonyB
02-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Jerry:
I have a Bisley 44 on order. I haven't heard of anyone who has one yet.
Tony

c.r.
02-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Do the new Vaqueros' have an alloy grip frame and ejector housing?

No Sir............... The New Vaquero has a steel grip frame and ERH. I wouldn't think it would be limited to loads any more than one of the current new model flattops would be.

I would like to see Ruger offer the New Vaquero in 44 spcl.

However, rather than pay for a 44 conversion on a .357, it would probably be less costly to buy an aluminum grip frame and ERH, then put them on one of the new model flattop 44 specl.........but it wouldn't have that nice SAA look would it?:-) I'm going to give Ruger a little while to see if they come around, if not I may get a USFA in 44 spcl........I was hoping to see Ruger offer one at the beginning of the year or at SHOT.

I have an old model BH that was converted to 44 spcl. aluminum grip frame and ERH along with a 4" barrel installed. It is a delight to carry, and 250 gr bullets at ~950 fps are pleasant.

Dale53
02-03-2010, 12:57 PM
leadman;
The .44 Lipsey Special uses the medium frame (similar to the New Vaquero). If Ruger chambers the New Vaquero in .44 Special you can use any of the loads that are specified in Brian Pearce's article for the Lipsey Special (in Handloader #260). That also applies to a modern Colt SAA, as a matter of fact.

FWIW
Dale53

AnthonyB
03-03-2010, 08:57 PM
I just solved the problem I had with the stock grips by buying one of the new 4 5/8 Bisley Flattop 44 Specials. The shop also has one of the new stainless 4 5/8 guns if anyone is interested; price on that one was $599.
Tony

GLL
03-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Here is the new blue version .44 Special Bisley !

I a SS version as well !
Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/A0C488A2AB49589/standard.jpg

AnthonyB
03-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Yep, that is it! I'm dry firing as I sit at the computer. GLL, the shop here also has the 5 1/2 version on hand for $529. PM if you want the shop info.
Tony

GLL
03-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Here is a photo of the 4 5/8" SS that Hickory posted !

Jerry

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab247/hickory_01/44special.jpg

targetshootr
03-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Sweet guns. These are the good old days.

Dale53
03-04-2010, 01:12 AM
Sweet guns. These are the good old days.

"Ain't it the truth"!!

Dale53

BrettT/C
03-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Those are some nice looking pistol you guys have. I am looking for one of the Bisley Flattop 44 Special.

Brett

stubshaft
03-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Real purty looking piece.

crabo
03-04-2010, 10:24 PM
So, what is the difference in the 4 5/8ths and 5 1/2 other than length? I have never done the Single Action, but this one keeps calling to me.

Dale53
03-05-2010, 12:51 AM
The balance is subtlety different (the shorter barrel is "back in the hand" and the longer barrel is just a bit barrel heavy - which I prefer). The longer barrel has a longer sight radius. I just hit better with the longer sight radius.

Strictly an individual thing, however. "You likes what you like"...

Dale53

NHlever
03-05-2010, 07:22 AM
I stopped by my dealer's last night, and he told me that my Bisley Flattop .44 Special might be here as soon as Monday so it looks like they are shipping.

Fishslayer
03-05-2010, 02:39 PM
NICE looking revolver.

Hmmm.... wonder if that model is the reason for the sweet looking Blackhawk in .45 Colt on the consignment rack down at the range...:)

Dale53
03-05-2010, 04:39 PM
To save others grief when changing grips - neither Hogue nor Pachmayr grips for the Ruger Black Hawk will fit these .44 Lipsey Specials. They have the same frame as the 50th Anniversary models and the New Vaquero. These are STEEL grip frames and are a different width than the other Black Hawks. I have talked to Hogue's AND Pachmayr about this. They neither intend to make grips to fit them (they don't believe that the demand is there). Whether or not they will eventually change their mind I have no way of knowing but currently they will NOT. At any rate, I would NOT hold my breath while waiting for them to do so.

The Pachmayr grips for SAA ALMOST fit, as I stated before, and are quite satisfactory for me and others I have sent in that direction. Not perfect, but almost. Further, it is a good idea to cover the grip frame under the rubber grips with a light coat of gun grease (Rig or in my case, Lubriplate). That protects the grip frame from rusting under the rubber grips and also allows you to more easily slip the slightly too tight grip into place and hold it there while you tighten the screw. Frankly, I am extremely happy with my Pachmayr SAA grips and I can shoot the heaviest safe loads without being bothered by the recoil. In fact, I LOVE the combination.

Just wanted to keep someone from ending up with a pair of grips he cannot use.

Dale53

AnthonyB
03-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Dale:
Good info on the grips, but I still think buying the Bisley was the best solution!
Tony

Ben
03-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Better listen real close to what Dale53 is saying. He knows exactly what he is talking about. Thanks Dale for putting me onto the idea of using the SAA grips on my Lipsey's .44 Spec.

Best to you,

Ben

Dale53
03-05-2010, 05:04 PM
AnthonyB;
I certainly wouldn't argue with you about the choice of grips. I recently (last fall) took delivery on a Ruger SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible 5½". I haven't shot it as much as I would like (dad blame SNOW and cold weather) but have shot it enough to know that it is a real performer.

If I had to choose between the plow handle grip and Bisley, it would be Bisley all the way. However, the Packmayr grips on the plow handles are even better handling for me. I'll be keeping both, you understand, but I REALLY like the .44 Lipsey with the Packmayrs. Frankly, I see myself shooting both in the coming months and shooting them a LOT.

My .44 and .45 bullet moulds are going to be running full steam ahead in the coming months (as they are now).

Having MiHec .44 Keith bullets in both solid and hollow point moulds, and a MiHec hollow point 45-270-SAA bullet mould coming (and probably a six cavity solid point mould in the near future) coupled with my present day NOE five cavity mould for the 454424 .45 Keith bullet, my "Treasure Coffers" runneth over.

Dale53

Slow Elk 45/70
03-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Nice pistols, and the 44 special is hard to beat, I remember how long I lusted for a Ruger 44 spl...finally had a 357 converted, I still shoot it a lot and it will go to my son when my days are done....

AnthonyB
03-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Dale:
I agree and will be keeping both. I haven't been able to find a set of SAA Pachmayrs, but did see that Herrett's is offering wood grips for the new frame and will probably order a set of those.
The Bisley needs a trigger job, and I can't wait it to get it to the the range. Now I have to figure out why I need to keep the 50th Anniversary 44 Mag - the Bisley Special should match velocities with any load I could handle with the regular gripped Anniversary model.
Tony

Leadforbrains
03-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I am fondling my Lipsey Ruger as I am reading all of this. I have a brand new galco holster and I am waiting on my California Olive wood grips that are in the mail. Life is indeed good and I was well satisfied until I read the part that Lipsey is shipping the .44 spcl. in a Bisley frame. DANGIT!

Highland Drifter
03-07-2010, 01:25 PM
It's been torture for me to resist buying one of the new Lipsey's Bisley 44 specials (notice my Avatar). The more I read about you guys and your 44 specials here, the weaker I get. Shooting the Skeeter load in one of these smaller frame 44's with a Bisley grip frame would be handgun utopia. :Fire:

This is the reason for trying to resist another Bisley framed 44. I just finished putting my 4-5/8" Super Blackhawk back together after installing a Bisley grip frame. The grips are from Jim Badger. I'm planning to use this one for my new backpacking gun this summer.

Dale53
03-12-2010, 11:49 AM
HIghland Drifter;
That is a nice lookin' piece, for sure! We are blessed indeed to be living in these times (with the exception of the present day economy). We really have some nice handguns available to us.

We also have the choice of EXCELLENT bullet moulds (check out our Vendors' offerings) to feed these wonderful handguns, if you need one or two:mrgreen:.

Nice picture, by the way!

Dale53

Leadforbrains
03-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Dale has already started something good here, so I am going to follow along with pictures of mine. It has new wood grips, and a new Galco holster.

BarryinIN
03-13-2010, 02:52 PM
This thread cost me money. The gun shop had a Ruger 5.5" FT .44 Special Wednesday, and I was back first thing Thursday morning.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/ColtsR4Football/004-3-1-1.jpg

This thing cries out to try the Skeeter Load of a 245 SWC over 7.5 grains of Unique. Of course, I have 11 .44 moulds, and exactly zero are SWCs in the 240-250 range. I should have one in a few days though. More money gone- Oh well.

Dale53
03-13-2010, 03:36 PM
>>>This thread cost me money.<<<

GOOD!! That's what this is all about - sharing the pain:bigsmyl2:

Seriously, you will LOVE the .44 Lipsey Special. I sure do!

Dale53

BarryinIN
03-13-2010, 05:59 PM
I just came in from shooting mine (in the rain). I tried a variety of loads, but it seems to like something with every bullet I tried: the Saeco 428 TC, the little bitty old Lyman 429105, and the discontinued old Lee 209 WC. I'm surprised the Lee WC did anything because it is a bit small.

Leadforbrains
03-13-2010, 11:20 PM
I actually got out to shoot mine again today as well.
Mine likes the Mihec 5 cavity 250 gr Keith mold boolit over 6.5 grains of Universal. That boolit with that load are the cartridges in my picture.
It also shoots the Lyman Devastator over 7.0 grains of N330 really well.
I like this pistol so much that I am wanting the Stainless version very bad right now, and I will start looking for one as soon as the funds become available.
Someone said it right when they said, "These are the good old days!"

captainkirk
03-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Dale has already started something good here, so I am going to follow along with pictures of mine. It has new wood grips, and a new Galco holster.

Looks like you have the NV hammer as well...

Very nice.

captainkirk

Leadforbrains
03-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Looks like you have the NV hammer as well...

Very nice.

captainkirk

ThanK You Sir!:drinks:
edited to add: I never even noticed the hammer on mine being different from the others. Is this some kind of rarity? If it is I might have to relegate this one to safe queen status.

crabo
03-15-2010, 09:18 PM
I wish these 44 Special threads would go away.

Leadforbrains
03-15-2010, 09:54 PM
I wish these 44 Special threads would go away.

You know you want one and it is only a matter of time before you break down and buy one![smilie=w:

crabo
03-15-2010, 11:13 PM
You know you want one and it is only a matter of time before you break down and buy one![smilie=w:

I know. I put one of my basses up for sale to fund it.

I don't have a good packing pistol other than a 1911 45acp or a 4 inch 686. My 44 mag with red dot and 7.5 barrel is too large to put on the belt and wander around.

I see it in my crystal ball.

captainkirk
03-16-2010, 07:45 AM
ThanK You Sir!:drinks:
edited to add: I never even noticed the hammer on mine being different from the others. Is this some kind of rarity? If it is I might have to relegate this one to safe queen status.

I just assumed you put it on there. If it came from the factory that way, I would certainly think it was out of the ordinary. I don't know if the factory could confirm that it shipped with a different hammer(not sure they get that detailed with their records) but it might be worth a call to their records dept to satisfy curiousity.

captainkirk

H-Marlin
03-16-2010, 11:55 AM
If it is I might have to relegate this one to safe queen status.

Don't do that! Making a fine gun like that into a safe queen is like taking a beautiful race horse and putting it in a stable. SHOOT THAT SHOOTER! :Fire:

c.r.
03-16-2010, 03:37 PM
SHOOT THAT SHOOTER! :Fire:

are you talking about shooting the horse or the gun?:lol:

Leadforbrains
03-16-2010, 08:30 PM
I just assumed you put it on there. If it came from the factory that way, I would certainly think it was out of the ordinary. I don't know if the factory could confirm that it shipped with a different hammer(not sure they get that detailed with their records) but it might be worth a call to their records dept to satisfy curiousity.

captainkirk

I bought it just as it is as a brand new firearm. The only thing that I changed was the grips, so I just might have something unique here.
Thanks for pointing that out because I would have never noticed otherwise.
Now the question is how many others are out there. I think I will give Ruger a call this week and see if I can find something out.