PDA

View Full Version : My first 1911A1 - care and feeding?

Linstrum
01-28-2010, 10:57 PM
After about 50 years of thinking about it, I finally got around to getting my first 1911A1, I got Citadel's full-size version of John Moses Browning's masterpiece Colt 1911A1 .45 ACP. I did a little research before deciding specifically on a Citadel since there are some pretty awful as well as unjustifiably expensive copies being made of the U.S. Military's former but (in my opinion) best-ever side-arm. A long-time friend already has a Citadel that he likes and he specifically recommended getting the Citadel because his particular pistol is well-made and functions as intended. The particular pistol I got is nicely finished, all the parts work together smoothly, and there is not any slop that I can feel between the barrel and barrel bushing. I slugged the bore and it measures right at 0.4505", just a grunt hair different from what a lot of .45 ACP pistols run and perfect for the Lee .452-228-1R round nose mould I have that pours exactly at its stated size of 0.452".

As it should be, my new 1911A1 works great right out of the box. I didn't have any .45 ACP reloading dies the day I bought the pistol, so to try it out I bought 50 rounds of Russian-made steel-cased 230 grain copper-jacketed ball ammo since that is the only stuff I can get off the shelf around here right now. I don't have any idea what my pistol's ultimate accuracy will be with my hand loads, but shooting the Russian-made ball ammo at 40 feet, my very first shot was a dead center bull's eye, which I think was partly just luck, but shooting one-handed standing up, all 8 rounds did go into an area about 3" wide by 4" high and about 1" above my point of aim, a little bigger than a standard playing card. I am pretty happy with my new Citadel-version of the 1911A1 since it is accurate enough and hits hard enough for me to rely on it with complete confidence that I WILL hit what I'm aiming at. I have two other pistols that are so bad that I'd be better off just throwing them at what I want to hit.

Back a long time ago when I was 29 years old, I bought a new Smith & Wesson model 19 Combat .357 Magnum revolver with 6" barrel and fully adjustable target sights. I have always made my own .357 Mag loads for it using Lyman's classic #358156 semi-wadcutter gas check boolits propelled by 9.8 grains 2400 powder; a little on the mild side for a .357 Magnum, but very accurate. Using that ammo I can hit pop cans with it at 25 yards all day long. Because I have had a taste of what I can do with an accurate pistol and my own hand loads, I should be able to get a little better accuracy with my new 1911A1 by working up some hand loads than what I'm getting right now with the Russian ball ammo. The powders I already have on hand are 700X, Unique, Red Dot, Green Dot, and Blue Dot. One of those powders ought to work pretty good with the Lee 228-grain round-nose boolits.
Any ideas?

rl718

docone31
01-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Well done!
I use the Lee 200gn Flat nose. I use Blue Dot. I pan lube and size to .452.
That is my go to load. My wife's Taurus 1911 also likes it.
Good luck, and enjoy!

ANeat
01-28-2010, 11:13 PM
45acp isnt too picky, you could probably find a great load with about all those powders. Red dot comes to mind but I cant recall the exact load

beagle
01-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Glad you got one and are having fun. I bought my first one...an old DCM Remington at the age of 17 and it's half a century later and I've never been without one of some configuration or another since then.

Darned things will about eat anything too. They're usually not picky at all./beagle

trickyasafox
01-29-2010, 03:01 AM
those citadels look nice. I have had good luck with unique. 5.5 grs works well (5.8 gr max from alliant website) http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=230&shellid=35&bulletid=63

I couldn't get my stock 1911 Mil-spec to function with less than 5 grains with a standard strength spring. Just an FYI.

dubber123
01-29-2010, 07:43 AM
I read a test somewhere of I believe, a Les Baer 1911. The writer bought a case of the Wolf
Russian ball ammo for function testing. It ended up being the most accurate load tested. Enough so, he tested it at 100 yds., where groups were in the 4" range. Might not be as bad as you think. Good luck with the new pistol

scrapcan
01-29-2010, 11:05 AM
You are going to like the new family member. I have a thompson/auto ordanance marked clone and it will be one of the last two that would go.

The 1911 platform is just a nice one. Lots of stuff available, and in every price range. You can find new or used holsters in any style you might dream and at prices you can afford. And if it is setup right and your loads are consistant, your brass will be right there in a not big of pile.

And the 45acp cartridge is fun to load, fun, to shoot, and not too picky in it's components. I have loads of win231, bullseye, reddot, etc.. that will follow one another to the same point of impact using the same sight picture. Also have 185, 200, 230, and a few heavier loads that are tuned to shoot to same sight setting.

The only thing that can be challenging is finding consistantly good quality magazines. But that only takes time and more cubic dollars.

Char-Gar
01-29-2010, 12:45 PM
I am a long time fan of the basic 1911A1 pistol. In my salad days a Remington-Rand was my companion for many a mile over a large swatch of country. I learned to depend on it for all of my handgun needs. It never let me down and space would not allow a recantation of all I asked that pistol to do.

I still prefer that basic format and have zero use for all of the modern gee-gaws and doo-hickies placed on the basic 1911 frame these days. I have two Norinco 1911A1s and the only thing I did was to upgrade the sights and smooth out the triggers. Fine pistols that pair. I also have a 2005 vintage Colt Govt. Model. I installed a short steel trigger and arched steel housing and it now has for the most part the look and feel of a good 1911A1.

For generations the standard military loads for the 45 ACP round was 4.8 Bullsye and a 230 grain RNFMJ bullet. 4.5 grains of the same powder over a 200-230 grain cast bullet will deliver the same performance or a smidgen more. But it is all that is needed.

WW 231 and Unique also do well in the 45 ACP round, but I have well over a quarter million rounds I have handloader over the past 50 years for the cartridge and 99% of them used Bulleye and I guess It is too late now to think of changing.

Best of luck with you new pistol.

Linstrum
02-17-2010, 08:04 AM
I've continued my thread at: "My first 1911A1 - part 2 care and feeding"

rl736