PDA

View Full Version : Pecatonica River Schuetzen

brudford
01-28-2010, 08:06 PM
I'am ordering a Schuetzen halfstock rifle in 45 cal from Pecatonica River . It is a kit . Anyone ever build one ? I'am going to do all the stock work myself . Since I do not have a milling machine or tap and thread kits I will have them drill and install the breech plug ,cut and crown the barrel and driil and tab the barrel for the breech plug . Also will have a 3/8 dovetail cut for the front sight . Even after all this I will only have about 500.00$ invested less my time and some stain and other minor parts . I had looked at the Pedersoli Schuetzen muzzle loaders
and their prices were around $2500.00 .

zampilot
01-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Is the stock 100% inletted ? It'll be a project if not so take your time and read up on what to do. It isnt easy.

brudford
01-28-2010, 09:01 PM
I called and talked to the owner . I did not ask about 100% inletted,however he told me he inlets on a computer CNC machine and the charge is an extra 47.50 $ for inletting and drilling . Maybe I should call back and see if the barrel and all the parts will just drop in . I know the buttplate is curved and will need fitted . I have a table sander and a jig saw .

docone31
01-28-2010, 09:22 PM
The inletting and drilling will be slightly undersized.
I would go with it.
Speeds things up a little, but, gets positions better.

brudford
01-28-2010, 10:16 PM
How undersized ? enough that I cam simply take a Dremel tool to it ? Thanks

docone31
01-28-2010, 10:36 PM
I have found inletting enough undersized to allow for custom fitting.
It really saves a lot of work. CNC, you are also going to have depth close also.
I might not use a Dremel, a small engraver, graver, or shaped chisel.
Go slowly. Always cut against the grain, in the direction of the grain. In other words, I am not sure I am explaining it well, cut so the removed area does not crack into the grain.
A Dremel can really eat into a piece of work. Big time. As a jeweler, I have to deal with "run around" on each setting. The bit grabs the setting, and runs around the setting wire. I go against the rotation of the burr to control "run around".
Go slowly, and enjoy each chip! You will remember it forever.
I am itching to make one, one day.

waksupi
01-29-2010, 12:27 AM
Dremel- ruining fine firearms, for over 40 years. Just say NO!

You will need chisels, some rasps or files, a drill, preferably a drill press, sand paper, and finish. some sort of inletting black will
be needed. I just use regular motor oil, applied with a brush. It will show you where wood needs removed. Do not take any wood from upper edges of an inlet, unless you know positively it needs removed. Inletting dye will leave false marks at the top of an inlet.