PDA

View Full Version : Charter Arms 22?

trickyasafox
01-28-2010, 12:53 AM
I want a 22 revolver- and saw the Charter Arms Pathfinder.

I know they've had pretty spotty quality in the past decade or so, but how are they lately?

For the money, it'll probably be between the charter arms and the taurus 22 revolver. I figure if its close, I'll get the charter arms cause its made here in the states.

I thought long and hard about just getting a ruger single six- however I really wanted to have a DA/SA gun.

Am I missing any key players? Is the difference in quality so great that I'd be better off with a single six?

6GUNSONLY
01-28-2010, 01:13 AM
Having owned both the Pathfinder and several Ruger single-sixes, they are two very different guns. The little Charter is a "kit gun," small, fairly light, easy to carry. The Ruger is pretty much a full-size gun, not very "pocketable", and requiring a holster for comfortable carry.

The Ruger will be easier to shoot well.
The Charter will be more carry-friendly.

Mostly depends on what you want to do with it.

The Pathfinder I owned was back in the late 70s, not sure how those compare with current production but mine was fine. My best buddy still has his. I now have a S&W M-34 "Kit Gun" in 2" barrel for a woods carry/trail gun.

trickyasafox
01-28-2010, 01:14 AM
looking at the 4inch barreled version- sorry I should have specified. Gun will be a plinker.

NickSS
01-28-2010, 06:38 AM
I have never owned a Charter Arms 22 but I did own a 38 snub nose a bunch of years ago. It was a good reliable gun for me. I also own a single six and it is a good plinker and hunting pistol. I recently bought a Taurus full size 9 shot revolver. This gun is equivalent to a L frame S&W in size with a 4 inch barrel. So far I am happy with it. I bought it as a cheap practice pistol tune me up for my GP 100. They both feel about the same in my hand right down to the trigger pull.

exile
01-28-2010, 09:16 AM
I shot a friend's Pathfinder with a 2" barrel about a year ago. I really wanted one, so I was predisposed to like it. It was absolutely impossible to eject the fired cases. He sent it back to Charter and it still would not eject.

The trigger on the Taurus .22 magnum he had would bind so badly you could not pull the trigger. My friend is a big fan of small caliber pistols. To my way of thinking the best one he has ever had is a Bersa .22 semi-auto, followed by his stainless 3" Taurus model 94. I would love to have either gun. I could kick myself for not buying that Bersa from him when he sold it.

I have a Ruger single-six (stainless, 51/2') and have no complaints about it, but it is not a pocket gun. Sometimes you just want a double-action or a small auto .22, and good ones are hard to find.

scrapcan
01-28-2010, 11:15 AM
A coworker was given a new pathifinder last fall for his birthday. He says the trigger is horrible. I replied that maybe it would be easy to do a basic tune on it. I would think it cannot be any worse that the taurus M94 that I have. I would have traded him the pathfinder for the taurus, I know I can work on the charter and their customer service is high above Taurus in my mind.

I think if I were to be looking for a 22 handgun right now I would look for a ruger MII semi auto with 4 inch bull barrel. But another coworker just bought a buckmark and it shoots very well also.

Trey45
01-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Charter Arms will offer better service when you need it. Taurus has a lifetime warranty, the reason they have a lifetime warranty is because you'll need it. Their customer service sucks. In all honesty, if you are set on a double action revolver, look around for a 4" Ruger SP101, they're out there, used of course, for about the same price you'd pay for the Charter or Taurus, and you'll have a better gun even though it's used. Unless of course it's been neglected and abused. Good luck to you either way you decide to go.