PDA

View Full Version : Casting Pot Option

Fugowii
01-27-2010, 10:00 PM
I came across a couple of six quart Presto pressure cookers at the recycling area of my town dump this past week and I think they will make a great smelting pot, especially since they came free of charge! They are heavy stainless steel and there are welded on screw pods on each side of the pot. Only drawback is that they are a bit tall instead of being wider at the base. That might be mitigated by welding on a ring on the base. I'm going to add a wire handle onto those screw pods. Anyway, keep your eyes out for these beauties as I think they will do a great job. Here are a couple of pics:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/BP_2006/01_27_2010001a.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/BP_2006/01_27_2010004a.jpg

Firebricker
01-27-2010, 10:27 PM
I don't know if that would work for me I see a pressure cooker and start having uncontrolable visions of soup beans and cornbread. LOL Joking aside I think that'll work well. Just avoid aluminium one's. BTW can't beat the price. FB

Mk42gunner
01-28-2010, 04:53 AM
I don't know if that would work for me I see a pressure cooker and start having uncontrolable visions of soup beans and cornbread. LOL Joking aside I think that'll work well. Just avoid aluminium one's. BTW can't beat the price. FB

I will probably never ever cook beans in one of those. Mom had one when I was a kid, she used it a lot for roasts and stews. I still remember the day that Dad cooked pinto beans in it, in the new house. It sounded an awful lot like a minigun going off in the distance:oops::shock:. Years later, when I moved out; you could still see a faint brown stain on the ceiling.

On the other hand, that should make a great pot to render wheel weights in.

Robert

Bret4207
01-28-2010, 08:23 AM
A pressure cooker. The 1940's version of a microwave. Wonderful tools, takes cheap meat and makes it soft and edible.

Your plan will work. And it's free!

dragonrider
01-28-2010, 09:59 AM
First check to see if it is of Laminated contruction. if it is don't use it. It will eventually delaminate. Not designed to take the heat of casting.

Fugowii
01-28-2010, 11:18 AM
First check to see if it is of Laminated contruction. if it is don't use it. It will eventually delaminate. Not designed to take the heat of casting.

I guess I've never seen a stainless pot with laminated construction. What should I be looking for to determine if it is laminated?

markinalpine
01-28-2010, 12:26 PM
I guess I've never seen a stainless pot with laminated construction. What should I be looking for to determine if it is laminated?

From your picture in Post#1, it doesn't appear to be laminated. Your pot seems to be sitting flat on the red surface.
The laminated articles typically have a plate of aluminum sandwiched between the bottom of the bowl and another thin layer of Stainless Steel. This aluminum disk and its covering is also usually smaller in diameter than the main cooking pot, so the whole thing sits up above whatever surface it is on by maybe 1/4" or so.
This is supposed to even out the temperature from the heat source since aluminum absorbs and releases heat better than stainless steel. I think it is mostly marketing hype.
I'd like to get one at your price too! :bigsmyl2:
Mark :coffeecom

dragonrider
01-28-2010, 12:46 PM
There may also be some writing on the bottom that will say if it is laminated or not. Most Stainless cookware is of laminated construction, perhaps some older stuff is not.

Fugowii
01-28-2010, 03:44 PM
From your picture in Post#1, it doesn't appear to be laminated. Your pot seems to be sitting flat on the red surface.
The laminated articles typically have a plate of aluminum sandwiched between the bottom of the bowl and another thin layer of Stainless Steel. This aluminum disk and its covering is also usually smaller in diameter than the main cooking pot, so the whole thing sits up above whatever surface it is on by maybe 1/4" or so.
This is supposed to even out the temperature from the heat source since aluminum absorbs and releases heat better than stainless steel. I think it is mostly marketing hype.
I'd like to get one at your price too! :bigsmyl2:
Mark :coffeecom

I think I am OK with both pots. One has a deeper stamped form that the other. I thought that this one might be a laminated bottom but the inside follows the exact contour as the outside form and there doesn't appear to be a seam so I think that one is OK as well. I almost passed them up as my mind hadn't connected with the casting pot idea right away. I actually got back in my car and sat there for a moment thinking about it - just for a moment, then I jumped back out and took them. :mrgreen:

I just googled the model with the deeper stamped form and I found this on ebay which is the exact model. Mine doesn't look as good as that one but it was interesting to find out the pot is over thirty years old.

http://cgi.ebay.ph/Vintage-Presto-Stainless-Steel-6-Quart-Pressure-Cooker_W0QQitemZ130354173848QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSma ll_Kitchen_Appliances_US?hash=item1e59b6d798

FAsmus
01-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Fugowii;

For a minute there thought you were dealing with the now-popular aluminum presser-cooker vessel.

That would be disaster - never, ever use aluminum pots for melting lead alloy!

Stainless steel is good stuff of course, just make sure you have some reliable method to pick up the pot when its full. A good home-made heavy wire handle so as you can handle the 120 pound pot easily and safely.

Good evening,
Forrest