PDA

View Full Version : For the underhammer guys

Boz330
01-27-2010, 07:58 PM
OK I just got back from Waldron IN after picking up powder ( major sticker shock). Deer Creek has 200 under hammer actions that they are getting ready for sale. If you are interested these are just actions and the price is $140 or $145 I'm sorry CRS is the villain. If you are interested PM me for the phone number.
I don't get anything from this except I hope he saves me one for later next month when I hope my ship comes in. This company used to put the entire kits together and the one I have shoots exceptional but between a tornado taking the roof off of his machine shop and his wife being in a bad way the guy just doesn't have the time anymore.

Bob

357maximum
01-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Is that just for the casting or does it have the trigger/hammer/mainspring/trigger spring?????? Thanks for the update BTW>:razz: Sorry to hear about his misfortune saga.

Boz330
01-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Is that just for the casting or does it have the trigger/hammer/mainspring/trigger spring?????? Thanks for the update BTW>:razz: Sorry to hear about his misfortune saga.

That is with the parts. He was drilling and tapping the holes in the receivers yesterday when we got there. The triggers and hammers had just gotten back from heat treating so they are about to be assembled. I'm a little strapped right now or I would have picked one up.
The set up this guy has is pretty impressive. At one time he had 28 folks working for him in the machine shop. He has dedicated machines that are set up to make one part. Rifling machines, automatic screw machines and of course all of the regular machine tools you can think of. Also has stock reproduction machines. I think he just makes enough money from the retail side that he doesn't need the headaches that go with all of the production side. After seeing his machine shop, most of his stuff is probably war surplus and crowded in there so tight that OSHA would have a hay day if they ever visited. Might be why he does everything himself with just one other guy. I'm not sure of this guys age but he is sure older than me and I'm almost 64.

Bob

ihunts2much
01-28-2010, 11:25 PM
pm sent

357maximum
01-29-2010, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the info Boz-Bob.

buckweet
01-29-2010, 02:49 AM
good info there ,
thanks .357max

357maximum
01-29-2010, 03:55 AM
good info there ,
thanks .357max

Watcha thanking me for...all I did was stand around looking stooopid while asking BOZ questions.:-P

buckweet
01-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Watcha thanking me for...all I did was stand around looking stooopid while asking BOZ questions.:-P

:bigsmyl2: well ''somebody'' gotta do it ! :bigsmyl2:

357maximum
01-31-2010, 01:36 AM
:bigsmyl2: well ''somebody'' gotta do it ! :bigsmyl2:

If you do not want to do something....do not get good at it. I have found my rightful place.........just remember that Cheshire grin might just be gas.

rhbrink
01-31-2010, 07:27 AM
Well said 357 Maximum, now that theres funny I don't care what anybody says

Boz330
02-04-2010, 10:49 AM
You guys that showed interest in these actions, please keep us informed of your progress. These are such neat actions.

Bob

ihunts2much
02-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Only 199 left! I got one on the way

rhbrink
02-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Me too

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Help understand . . . what is the big deal with underhammers? Do they proform better? just wondering . . .

Boz330
02-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Help understand . . . what is the big deal with underhammers? Do they proform better? just wondering . . .

They are light, well balanced, simple mechanism,(only 2 moving parts), and the fire goes directly into the powder charge instead of turning a couple corners to get there. The barrels can be easily swapped out so it is the original switch barrel gun. What's not to like?:bigsmyl2:

Bob

Hanshi
02-10-2010, 02:16 PM
I'll second everything Boz330 said. They also have a "hang" you have to feel to appreciate. They can be extraordinarily accurate. My .45 H&A Heritage model (from the mid '60s) has deep, gain twist rifling which contributes to the fine accuracy. The only "downside", if you want to call it that, is that you want to wear a long sleeve shirt when you fire them. They spit straight down instead of upward. Small price to pay IMO.
)

rhbrink
02-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Boz330 pretty well sums it up. Plus they are one of the few totally American made designs I think, read that anyway somewhere. Kindof like the handy rifle of the muzzleloader world, kindof ugly, kindof cool, got a charm of all their own.

Boz330
02-10-2010, 04:51 PM
The only "downside", if you want to call it that, is that you want to wear a long sleeve shirt when you fire them. They spit straight down instead of upward. Small price to pay IMO.
)

Mine is only an issue with stout charges, although that is what it shoots best. 100gr of 3F and 50 RB is where it shines. More might be better but never tried it cuz it does so well as is. They are so ugly they are Kewl.

Bob