PDA

View Full Version : First time purchasing lead

DeadWood
01-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Hoping to try and cast this summer, after i collect enough equipment. Trying to find as much WW as possible to justify at least in the beginning paying for equipment. If and when i start i want to start with lead that i know is correct for casting, taking the metal out of the equation if i have problems. With all the adds on ebay and other sites,

What should i look for when buying ingots to cast boolits?

(casting for either or all, 30-30,RB's,.41Mag what ever mold(s) if find first)

What is a FAIR price to pay?

Other things i should look for?

thanks

runfiverun
01-27-2010, 12:49 PM
about a buck a lb [sometimes less] shipped is the going rate, you might need some tin also.
ww's will do for all the rounds you listed.
clip on type are the ones you want.

mt_sourdough
01-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Where do you buy lead for $1 a pound? At Midway USA the going rate for alloys come in around $4 a pound.

Muddy Creek Sam
01-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Where do you buy lead for $1 a pound? At Midway USA the going rate for alloys come in around $4 a pound.

Here! :D

Sam :D

boommer
01-27-2010, 09:36 PM
One thing in life is when your need something you pay top dollar. The biggest cost is starting up including lead,is lead . you can start out with a junky steel old pot and propane burner and a dipper and mould. somebody has a turkey fryer propane burner that you know(ask if you can use it)a dipper can be found at thrift stores, flux can be many things saw dust ,bullet lube ,bee's wax or such. lee moulds are 20 bucks, go to a auto parts store and buy spray on graphite.
The thing is you dont need the best or perfect equipment to cast well and this will help you in the learning curve. IF you do it right you can casting for under 100 bucks.
Sizing Now if you start out with lee tumble lube moulds and Lee there sizer's plus lube 20 bucks
You dont need all the equipment to get started WE did not !!get started with the best of things, work are way though it . Get some w/w find some soft lead and you can alloy your mix from there.
Dont over think this just jump in an you will learn from there! I started with a pot, burner lead , dipper, mould no internet and no one helping just a old Lyman book.

DeadWood
01-28-2010, 03:13 AM
thanks boomer! Actually been to Oswego a few times.

Think i may have got some WW given to me tonight. have to go in the am and check it out, sounds like 2-4 coffee cans full? Figured if i could get at least half a 5 gallon bucket full i would at least know i have some decent lead for free and go from there. I want to buy "X"lbs of lead that i know will not give me any problems when i start up.

Was curious of what type of questions i should be asking on this board or others when buying ingots? I don't want to buy ingots that have zink in them or seller isn't aware of what his ingots are.

lwknight
01-28-2010, 05:02 AM
You should still be able to buy good scrap lead for under $1.00 per pound from any of the scrapyards that are friendly. Some are jerks about it cause you might make fishing sinkers out of it.
Find a scrapyard that is all business and not a tree hugging greenie freak.
My last hunt turned up nice pure sheet lead but they wanted $0.90 per pound and if you compare to market spot price thats not all that bad.

cbrick
01-29-2010, 12:31 AM

Midway thinks they are selling gold bars not lead alloy.

I used to get my tin from Midway until they decided that was really platinum.

Tin now comes from Roto Metals, cheaper and free shipping if you order enough. Try asking Midway for free shipping, they want $31.40 to ship a $10.40 USPS flat rate box. :veryconfu

Rick