PDA

View Full Version : sticky cylinders

bruce drake
01-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Does anyone know what could cause two chambers on a revolver to have difficult extraction? I've got a Miroku Liberty Chief 38 Spl snubbie that was given to me by my father in law. It fired fine the other day and the primers of the shell casings all show a low pressure (Commercial Remington 158gr RN ) but two of the fired cartridges swelled to the point where I could not extract them but I had to take the pistol home and tap the two cases out of the cylinder with a brass rod.

The chambers were all clean before the firing so I'm at a quandary deciding whether I use it as part of a trade for a different pistol or if it's easily fixable.

The sticking chambers are opposite of each other on the cylinder as well.

I'm not normally a revolver shooter so this is new to me.

Bruce

Bass Ackward
01-27-2010, 10:30 AM
but two of the fired cartridges swelled to the point where I could not extract them. Bruce

Could be weak brass. If it is with low powered stuff and it happens to the same chambers time and time again. Could be enlarged chambers or way small throats or bad alignment of those chambers. You would have to do some slugging with pure lead to know for sure.

Maybe an old timer would take an interest in resurrection, but either way, hain't a good sign for a beginner.

wonderwolf
01-27-2010, 10:48 AM
1st mark those two chambers somehow (pain marker, sharpie...) and then note if the brass is scratching upon extraction. Something either isn't lining up right like what Bass Ackward mentioned, a flaw in the chambers perhaps out of round a bit or egged in the middle may produce those results. If the pistol does not have sentimental value and after quick inspection I couldn't find a easy fix I would sell it though make sure you mention the problem and price it accordingly

XBT
01-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Another cause might be slight damage on the edge of the sticky chambers, causing a burr that drags on the fired case upon extraction. This will usually be detectable by looking at the sticky cases for scratches.

I can’t imagine how a cylinder could become damaged in that area but I bought a S&W M-29 with that condition once. It is easily fixed by carefully dressing the burr off with some very fine (400 grit) sandpaper wrapped around a dowel stick or something similar.