PDA

View Full Version : Am floating an idea to Ken (45Nut). Would like your input.

Recluse
01-27-2010, 12:47 AM
A day or so ago, RunFive'sLittleGirl posted over in the Humor & Off Topic section in regards to an e-mail she'd received. Subject of the e-mail isn't important, nor are the tone of some of the responses.

What IS important is that it has to be awkward for a sixteen-year-old young lady to log onto this forum filled with old farts like us, and try to "fit in" and carry on a likeminded discussion.

Ditto for the wives and girlfriends of us old fart casters.

With that in mind, I've been discussing an idea with several other members and getting their ideas and feedback before I formally pitch it to Ken and staff.

So here it is:

What would we think about creating a sub-forum within Cast Boolits for "junior members" as well as one for wives/girlfriends/sweethearts?

Here are my thoughts:

For the young people, they would have a forum in which to swap their OWN gun stories, reloading stories, etc etc. It would be a place for them to forge new friendships and for sure, to feel like they're not alone when it comes to be pro-gun, pro-hunting, etc.

Now, I realize that today's kids can do all of this with spacebook or tweeter or whatever, but then again. . . so could we. Fact is, this is OUR community and a lot of us have wives/girlfriends/sweethearts (some of us may have all three :)) as well as kids/grandkids.

My eighteen-year-old is really enjoying learning how to shoot, but has zero interest in casting. She's showing a mild, slowly growing interest in reloading, but not casting. But she's also of the electronic generation and is very comfortable sharing and swapping stories and questions via the internet.

A sub-forum for our young people would give them a wonderful "virtual community" to share stories and interests based upon a common bond of being the children of patriotic pro-gun members here.

For our wives? Same thing. Over the years, we've had several women come and go, but not many have really stayed. All of the women shot and owned guns, but casting was always their true cup of tea. Why not have a community for the wives/sweethearts of our members?

It can only do US (guys) nothing but good if you stop and really think about it. Lot easier to persuade SWMBO about needing that new mold or new scope or even that new gun when she's an integral part of the community you might be buying it from.

Obviously having a young persons' forum and wives' forum will not segregate them or us from the overall Cast Boolits community, but instead will serve to better integrate us.

I've always been fond of calling Cast Boolits "The World's Biggest Small Town," but with a town of all guys, that gets a little weird. . . What say you we bring in the women and children?

:coffee:

Frank46
01-27-2010, 01:02 AM
Recluse, sounds like an excellent idea to me. I too am an old fart and according to my wife my ways are set in stone. don't know where she got that one from. Maybe she's right. If the young folks get into a situation where they need help then we are a keyboard away. Frank

RobS
01-27-2010, 01:15 AM
Its an idea!!! Can't hurt to have a place where my wife could sit down and talk with other wives/girl friends etc. about our madness.........Kind of a support group for her as I am a casting and shooting nut. :-P It would also be great when my son reaches the age to shoot he too would have a community to share his ideas with others his age.

geargnasher
01-27-2010, 01:44 AM
+1 on good idea, my wife instantly said she'd join if such a sub-forum were created. She said it would be a good place for wive's to discuss the interesting smells/stench that comes from our hobbies sometimes (rendering bear oil, cooking Felix lube, fluxing, et cetera). [smilie=1::kidding: I'm not making this up, I'm now taking dictation as she looks over my shoulder!:oops:

Soooo, how 'bout it, Ken? Maybe Reddot and #1Wife wouldn't feel so alone here!

Gear

Bad Water Bill
01-27-2010, 04:13 AM
When my wife was alive she helped in most of my hobbies. Having been a research chemest she could out think me on many projects and make life easier. You never know how much more you can benefit till you give them the space to help all of us grow in this hobby.

As far as the younger group goes I think some of them have started sharing ideas and humor a while ago. Two come to mind that I have enjoyed and watch for are Little girl and BS Jr. Both of them AND their parents are to be congratulated.

YES lets do it.

Now for the problem

Who has to be the moderators??

Jim
01-27-2010, 05:12 AM
Would this "sub forum" be relative to shooting/casting/handloading? I realize we have a H&O/T and a political/religious section, but the main purpose of this whole thing is for/about what we do.

Bob Krack
01-27-2010, 07:30 AM
I don't know what to say.

I know where Dawn's heart is and I know it must have hurt her feelings by some of the responses to her last post.

An "auxilary" or some such sub-forum might help but just a little manners from some of us old farts would solve the problem?

Perhaps a membership title showing youngster or other status might make some of us more aware of the timbre of the questions/statements.

I am a member of a "sewing" forum and believe me, I walk on eggshells there to keep from saying ANYTHING that might make the "old mother hens" jump my #@%!

Bob

Bret4207
01-27-2010, 07:47 AM
I don;t know what the post was, looked like it's locked now, I can;t get to it anyway, nor do I know what the responses were. In my opinion if "the guys" here would remember to act like gentlemen and remember there ARE kids and ladies here then such a forum would be unneeded. In the past Dawn has gotten some good advice from her friends here, but that was some time ago. Maybe all it takes it a reminder that it's not the mens room here and we should be trying to set the example. Doesn't mean we can't disagree or argue or even come down on someone, we just have to remember to temper things a bit out of respect to each other and to the tone of the board.

Gar
01-27-2010, 08:22 AM
I like the idea, vote +1 for it.

Mumblypeg
01-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Are ya'll CRAZY? Absolutly not! I got on here thinking man, that has got to be the perfect He-man woman haters Club. No way the women can mess with this. I mean, what woman would want to mess with hot molten metal? Yea, I know a few that like the smell of WD-40 and even fewer that like the smell of blackpowder but naw, they ain't gona risk getting burned with hot lead. Look guys, ya'll start this and the next thing you know they will control ALL the lead in this country. You think finding wheel weights is hard now? Just wait , you'll see. Some of you fellows have already stooped to the level of sending your wives out to sweet talk some tire dealer out of WW that we'd have to beg for. They (the women) already have half the money and all of the... well, you know where I'm going with that... Lets think about this:coffee::kidding: a while, if we do this, the next thing you know... they will be wanting to VOTE!
P.S. Dang sorry woman that can't support 1 man...

gray wolf
01-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Well you know what they say about opinions--Well heres mine. I think any kid that is involved in shooting--guns--powder and anything that is potentially dangerous should be old enough and mature enough to hang and get along with adults.
I think it is us the adults that may have failed on this one. What I mean is we may have let the kids down by not treating them as we would our own kids. My feelings are that the key word here is---youngsters,youngsters, youngsters, --- GUNS,GUNS,GUNS,
And kids will be kids. BUT--I think it's a great idea as long as it is supervised
and we don't have to many wondering minds on the part of some of the kids.
If you don't get my drift here I am not going to try and explain it further. I know how things and thoughts can wander here. ( trust me folks my thoughts are about keeping the youngsters safe. Again I think it is a great idea as long as we monitor the forum the way we would monitor our kids anytime there is freedom of movement.
I see what happens when kids are left to there own devises.
I am not trying to be a jerk here I think what I am saying has merit and should be considered.
As for the ladies--well lets have at it. I think it has been missing for a long time. They have a right as we do to share with us and us with the women, and add to the forum.
Lets have a supervised youngster forum,and a place for the ladies. Along with the thought that they share with us and not turn it into a high school dance--you know how it was --girls on one side and the boys on the other.

Calamity Jake
01-27-2010, 09:42 AM
What are you waiting for? GO FOR IT!!!

largom
01-27-2010, 10:18 AM
I think a "Ladies Room" is a great idea, moderated by a lady. Also highly favor bringing the kids on board, just don't know how to do it and maintain the purpose of our business, kids minds can/do wander. The future of guns, reloading, hunting, and everything we hold dear, hangs in the hands of today's kids. The more involved we can get them the better. As others have said, better manners from the "old farts" would and should be the first step.

Larry

timkelley
01-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Can't hurt.

felix
01-27-2010, 11:00 AM
My thoughts parallel Bret's. I would tend to look towards the Israelites for their CURRENT assimilation techniques. ... felix

Bloodman14
01-27-2010, 11:35 AM
I have no problem with it, whatsoever! I think EVERYTHING needs a woman's touch.
Yeah, I'm whooped.

Tazman1602
01-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Recluse that is the best idea I've heard in I-don't-know-how-long.

I am constantly trying to get youngsters and women involved in the shooting sports and am very good with both. A lot of women in my area who want to shoot will call me because they know I'll treat them right.

I have SEEN in major gunshops the idiot guys behind the counter ignore women again and again --- and it's the biggest mistake they will ever make. Women are a HUGE untapped market but they are NOT crusty old guys like us and do NOT understand being treated as such NOR will they tolerate it at ALL.

All you've got to do is not treat them like they're dummies or beneath you. You have to put things in terms they can understand, and you have to hold their hands a little bit -- same thing applies to the youngster crowd. I taught high school for ten years back in the day and was one of the best liked teachers in the school and you wanna know why? Easy. I demand respect --- but in return I GIVE RESPECT BACK to those that respect me and never treat anyone like they are below me.........no matter how many times in the past I've been asked the same question.

When I see a new member post (and it's RARE that it happens here but is rampant on other forums...) and see someone post words to the effect "that questions been answered 100 times, quit being lazy and do a search" it really gets me going. One of the reasons I hang out here and will continue to donate MONEY to this forum is SO many of the guys have answered "stupid" questions of this newbie.

If WE do not make the effort to get women and young people involved in shooting sports you know what's going to happen guys???? We're all getting old and there's fewer young people getting involved with shooting sports every day because of liberal academia. We need to PROMOTE the asking of questions and exchange of date and be friendly while we do it or we, as a shooting sports group, will die off slowly but surely.

Parts of the year I am unemployed and I'd be HAPPY to help with this venture, I agree with it 110%.

I'm pretty well tied up through April of the year but I will do whatever I can to help promote this idea of yours.

THANK YOU FOR SPEAKING OUT!!!

Art

01-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Recluse,

Excellent idea.

runfiverun
01-27-2010, 11:59 AM
y'all might be surprised how much information is passed among the youngsters on this forum already.
it doesn't have all to do with guns and casting but friendships are formed among them as much as is formed among the adults.
a lot of it has to do with the fact that their parents are pretty similar. [no matter how strange they think we are]
the wifes forum is a neat idea i would like to peek in on some of those conversations about the boneheaded ideas we have.
some of the retorts to dawns thread were a bit terse and she was just asking a question, however she is a big girl and is smart enough to let some of the things said just go.
b.t.w. she does like to hunt and does a lot of the smelting,she knows how to cast but mainly likes the shooting part.
oh yeah,almost forgot. she carries a 4.0 gpa in school.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-27-2010, 12:15 PM
I have not seen the thread or the responses but if its locked due to being inappropriate, then shame on us. Could there be a sub-forum for the ladies or youngsters, sure. But if we are doing it to shield them from our lack of decorum then we have a deeper problem.

I wouldn't mind the sub forums. I think it would be neat to hear the opinions and outlooks of those who aren't as crazy as the rest of us.

My opinion is we need to set up straight, and mind our manners as if our mothers were here. Because someone's mother is here.

Regards,
Everett

Bullshop Junior
01-27-2010, 12:51 PM
A good idea? maybe so but being so will not by itself make it successful.
Personally I think it will flop just the way others have, like the one Willie was just recently wanting to delete, teamboolits or something.
I think any spouse or children of members that have any interest in being here are here and they wont want to go to the desert table for meat.
For those gals who's hubby's spend time here I doubt that they sit home knitting with no other place to go. I suspect quite the opposite that they have plenty of other places that they do go that are more in line with their interests and so will have little time for here.
Like I said just my opinion but if done I think we will in a short time see it come and go due to lack of use.
BIC/BS

This Post was made by Bullshop Sr.

theperfessor
01-27-2010, 12:58 PM
A 4.0? Outstanding!

I like the overall idea. I think the devil will be in the details, i.e. who can post, etc.

I don't think adults/men should be barred from either area. As an example, I'd like to believe that I could be trusted enough to share advice on how to select a college and tips on how to succeed once you're there, etc. But if we do this we need to find a way for the ladies and young adults to police their area and have some measure of control over things.

I work with young adults and am continually impressed with the creativity many of them have. Like a previous poster mentioned, treating students with respect allows them to respect you in return. Isn't that what we all want?

OutHuntn84
01-27-2010, 01:00 PM
I can see a sub forum alond the lines of CB support group, for the ladies that tolerate our insanity. However I can't see a kiddy section of the forum; maybe I'm blind JMHO.. Maybe when members sign up we can..."segregate" a lil and if they are under 18 or ladies, maybe they have different titles. Like instead of Boolit Mold, Boolit Bub, Boolit Man or Boolit Master for the ladies somthing along the lines Boolit Lady, Boolit Queen, Boolit Gal etc. and for the under 18 crowd Boolit Bopper or Lil Boolit or somthing else. Maybe that would help some of us remember who we are talking to.

runfiverun
01-27-2010, 01:21 PM
they got boolit lady already.
there really aren't that many kids that post here.and the ones that do, act like adults.
as we all should.
maybe we need to encourage some younger casters we gotta give all our cool stuff to someone someday,they might as well know how to use it.

Ajax
01-27-2010, 01:26 PM
I personally think we mind our manners rather well. Do I think there are times when things get out of control? Yes. Do I think we need new forum sub-sections for the women and children? No. My personal opinion is that we just need to be polite and helpful. It should matter age or sex we should be enthusiastic to answer question and provide guidance if necessary. When I first got here I had no idea what I was doing and thank God for the people who went out of their way to enlighten me. I feel some of us may have forgot we were new to this at one time. I am still learning and I appreciate all the help I get from you guys and girls. I think Recluses idea was heartfelt and well meant. well let me step down and give someone else the soap box.

oldhickory
01-27-2010, 01:43 PM
I think what Recluse is suggesting is a social group for the younger shooters/casters among us and one for the ladies also. This forum being powered by "v Bulletin" is certainly capable of this. "Social groups" aren't on the open public forum, but rather started by a "leader" who takes on the responsibility of running, maintaining, inviting members to join, and policing the social group. They're much like a special interest sub forum, or a club if you will.

As I said, it's a feature available through v Bulletin and shouldn't be difficult to start one up for the ladies and younger crowd if so desired. I've belonged to rougher forums than this and they worked just fine so long as the "leader" of the social group sticks with it.

I think it's a good idea by the way. :-)

fishhawk
01-27-2010, 01:44 PM
well the idea is on the surface good but and this is a big but the potenshial for abuse with this is very strong. our own case in point the dip 44medic look what that wacko did. i used to moderate another site that at one time was a trolling place for pervs like 44medic and once i was able to moderate that site they got banned real quick. yes it was a public forum so i had no controle who came into that chat at all. the threat here for preditors is way to great in my opinion to warrent a section for the kids and ladys. steve k

Bullshop Junior
01-27-2010, 01:51 PM
As one of the young guys here, I know that for the most part I would not go to the kids forum. When I come here, it is not just to chat and have fun, but to get and share information. I like to talk about my guns, and see what other folks say. Besides, I think there are only a few current active members on here under 18 - Its not my forum, so you guys can do what ever you want, but I don't think a kid forum will work out.

Bullshop Junior
01-27-2010, 01:53 PM
I think what Recluse is suggesting is a social group for the younger shooters/casters among us and one for the ladies also. This forum being powered by "v Bulletin" is certainly capable of this. "Social groups" aren't on the open public forum, but rather started by a "leader" who takes on the responsibility of running, maintaining, inviting members to join, and policing the social group. They're much like a special interest sub forum, or a club if you will.

As I said, it's a feature available through v Bulletin and shouldn't be difficult to start one up for the ladies and younger crowd if so desired. I've belonged to rougher forums than this and they worked just fine so long as the "leader" of the social group sticks with it.

I think it's a good idea by the way. :-)
There already is a social group for the young folks.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/group.php?groupid=10

And I think that a kids forum here would get just about as much participation

MtGun44
01-27-2010, 02:09 PM
I think that if the youngsters are polled by their parents, and they show interest, great.
Same for wifes and girlfriends. I seriously doubt my wife would get on it, but maybe others
would like it.

I think that Bret's comment to be nice and friendly is a very important observation. I have
mentored a number of young men and women in shooting, and I try to not treat them
differently than adults except where there is some real physical difference - like length of
pull or weight of a handgun or grip sizes. These special physical needs are discussed openly and
objectively, but they are treated like adult students otherwise. Seems to work. I think
that young people are very cabable of stepping up when they want and need to.
I suspect that when they want to 'act like kids' with their friends, they don't want us in
the way, but when they want to intereact with us - they usually do know how to do that
pretty well too.

So - let the young people and women decide if they want a little place of their own, it is
absolutely fine with me. I will continue to work hard to make sure all my posts are
helpful and polite (and expect to be corrected if I fail!). I hope that works for everyone.

Bill

gray wolf
01-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Kids are kids and should be supervised 100% of the time when guns are involved.
If they want to learn about shooting and reloading along with casting then let there folks do it.
O r let them sit on someones lap while they type. I am against under eighteen on an open gun forum without 100% guidance.
I am sorry but youngsters are capable of everything and everything. It may not be said on the forum but how long before there interest gets perked up enough that one Say's to the other --" Hey lets stick a fuse in that can of black powder or worse.
If that ever happened we would feel like REALLY bad and that would be the end of everything.
Think about it! am I that off base here? That's all I have to say. I am not going to condone something if it has a slight chance of going wrong.
As for the ladies forum--well I think it is way over do. You guys make me feel like you think these kids are going to be standing next to you or just off in another room.
Sorry but their are just to many Waco kids and drugged up kids. ( and yes they are drugged up on prescription drugs ) It's a great idea to help and I certainly agree that the younger set is the next generation. But this kind of thing should be done with an adult present not by proxy.
If you want a place for kids to gather and talk about hunting and shooting and what they did last weekend with there Dad I might entertain that thought.
I hate like heck to sound this way but if you can show me how it could never happen I might change my mind. These are my feelings and I hope you respect them. The forum will do what it will do and if this comes about I will do everything in my power to help.

BeeMan
01-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Adding here to what Bret and Felix said... Decent behavior needs to make no excuses or hide behind a firewall.

My kids are not sheltered but they are protected. That is my responsibility as a parent and I don't look to others to do my job.

No need for a special forum here.

BeeMan

oldhickory
01-27-2010, 02:46 PM

So there is, I hadn't even noticed.:oops: That being the case, I agree with Bullshop Junior.

mroliver77
01-27-2010, 05:19 PM
I have been thinking for a while that the "Class" of this forum has been gradually slipping. I thionk that we need to be on our best behavior at all times on the forum. It is way too easy to be misunderstood in our "spirit" of our posts in an electronic forum. I dont care one way or the other about a new sub forum. Lets let the ladies decide. If there are enough interested I say give it a try. I for one am comfortable around women and children.
Jay

Blacksmith
01-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Recluse
Great idea. Yes we old farts need to always show decorum and maybe a couple of us should have spoken up regarding the posts when they were being made.

I would like to see some ideas from the ladies and young folk as to what they might like. I think old farts should either be banned from posting to those sites or post only if invited, but I do want to spy on what they say about us.

Blacksmith

badgeredd
01-27-2010, 10:25 PM

It looks to me that we have a very good answer from a member or 2 here already. Not a bad idea but it likely isn't really necessary. What is necessary is for us old farts to keep ourselves in check and maybe step in when one of us doesn't. We have Moderators that do a fine job in my opinion, but sometimes we need to take the high road and stand up to be counted when someone misbehaves. JMO.

Edd

montana_charlie
01-27-2010, 11:58 PM
I only 'visit' about half of the exisrtng 'sub-forums' as it is, because I have no interest in those that I ignore.
A 'kid's forum' and a 'wives forum' would be just two for me to ignore...along with the latest 'new' one, The Castpic of the Month.
If my hobby was photography, I wouldn't be on a shooting forum.

As for actually interacting with kids...
I replied to a 'kid' about a year ago. I thought what she was proposing, contemplating, or 'whatever' the conversation was about, was a little ill-conceived..so told her that, firmly but politely.

Next thing I know, her mother is calling me names.

A far as I'm concerned, they can learn to get along with us 'old farts'...or they can go play elsewhere.

CM

sundog
01-28-2010, 12:09 AM
CM said, "A far as I'm concerned, they can learn to get along with us 'old farts'...or they can go play elsewhere."

I agree.

geargnasher
01-28-2010, 01:39 AM
My wife just said that she doesn't need no stinkin' sub-forum, she's gonna join anyway, she can get along with old farts just fine! Ya'll look out.

Gear

waksupi
01-28-2010, 02:56 AM
Separate rooms are kind of like saying, you kids and women, go play in your own area, and leave the men alone. I prefer the interaction as it is.

Jim
01-28-2010, 05:02 AM
Another thing to remember is, we pop off and take jabs and pot shots at each other. Unless it get really serious, we tend to just accept that as part of being in a group of guys and go on.
Younger members might not understand those types of comments and then somebody gets their feelings hurt. By using monikers, we have no way of knowing the age of said poster and the problems begin.
I've already gotten tangled up in something like that and don't think it's a good idea.

Cherokee
01-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Getting along with, getting to know older adults is part of life. Somewhere along the line younger people have to "socialize" with us older folks. Even among their own age group they have to interact with those that pop off or are otherwise unpleasant - just like with us older folks. Having said that, why not give it a try and see how it works out and we'll know those posting there are not part of the usual group and act accordingly, if we ever visit the sub.

GP100man
01-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Different minds & mindsets look at problems differently & Ideas for fixes comes from the same place Our Minds !!

Mrs. GP says I tend to over complicate things the more I think on em , so when she has input on a problem I`m having I always work it into the equation & most of the time steers me back to a simpler path to a solution.

Geraldo
01-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Getting along with, getting to know older adults is part of life. Somewhere along the line younger people have to "socialize" with us older folks. Even among their own age group they have to interact with those that pop off or are otherwise unpleasant - just like with us older folks.

I was one of several who posted a less than charitable response in the original thread that started this, and as such I'll apologize if it caused offense. The content of the original thread starter pushed a button with me, and of course I shot first at someone who didn't deserve it. Further proof that when I act like a ******* it will be at the worst possible time with the person who least deserves it.

I do think Cherokee has a point, though. Shooting was one hobby that took me into the adult world earlier than some of my peers, and I had to learn how to intereact. Eventually we all have to learn the big boy or big girl rules and it is not a painless process, but it is a valuable one.

As Jim stated, the forum names make it impossible to tell who's who here. My presumption has been that everyone who posts here is mature enough to see what is within the rules of this forum. Everybody gets testy, but the people on this forum are pretty good at self-regulating their behavior.

My vote would be to leave things as they are. If a teenager can access this site, the worst we have to offer is far better than about a billion other sites they could get to just as easily.

runfiveswife
01-28-2010, 04:42 PM
I did get mad at someone a year ago for something they said to dawn. and i am sorry about calling you names. as for starting new forums . As for the wifes mainly me i dont get on much anymore and i dont post much and i dont talk much why because i can flip off the handle easily lately and my husband has many good friends on here and i am not going to wreck friendships that he has made because of me or because i take things wrong. i just think everyone when they get on they just need to get along and remember that the kids on here are going to have questions and do need answers. and who better to help them than the members here on cast boolits. Thanks

as for dawn runfiverun could not of said it better.

Maven
01-28-2010, 05:12 PM
"Separate rooms are kind of like saying, you kids and women, go play in your own area, and leave the men alone. I prefer the interaction as it is." ---Waksupi

Ric's statement pretty much sums up the matter IMO. +1 Ric!

runfiveslittlegirl
01-28-2010, 08:22 PM
I wasn't ever trying to cause problems and if my mother got mad at you it is simply not my fault and i'm sorry.

If there was a sub forum for "children" I would still spend more time on here than on the sub forum. Most of the things i'm trying to learn or wanting to know; most people my age except maybe Bullshop Junior. probably would not know; anyhow, that is just my 2 cents worth in this whole thing.

gray wolf
01-28-2010, 11:47 PM
UMM-- I THINK SHE SAID IT ALL MEN.

Right from the horses UM I mean ladies mouth. Sounds like she can handle herself.

smoked turkey
01-29-2010, 02:12 AM
I have just read each and every post on this subject. I think the comments reflect that in general virtually everyone understands the importance of involving our families (wives, kids, grandkids) in our sport if it is to survive to the next generation. We are surely smart enough to know that we have enough liberal thinking out there that we in the shooting sports need to be supportive of each other because in the final analysis we are on the same team. Sure we will disagree from time to time. We need to learn to disagree agreeably. The Professor spoke of respect for each other as being key. The by line or what ever it is called by one of the members here says something to the effect that "young guys should hang around with old guys cause old guys know stuff". I think that there is so much to be learned by all of us regardless of age that to run seperate forums that deviate from the core mission of this site will only dilute the original reason for castboolits in the first place. On the surface it seems like a good idea to create sub-forums but all things considered I think keeping everyone together is best. Respect each other is the key. Just my 2c.

Bullshop Junior
01-29-2010, 02:17 AM
If there was a sub forum for "children" I would still spend more time on here than on the sub forum.

Same here
+1

Tazman1602
01-29-2010, 07:13 AM
My hat is in my hand to runfiveslittlegirl and BS Junior. You can hang at my gunshop any day of the week.

Art

Bad Water Bill
01-29-2010, 10:42 AM
BS JR

After seeing a couple pictures posted by your DAD of you I don't think you belong in a childrens board anywhere. 6 feet ? inches.

How about you and Dawn finding a name for the board.:idea:

Recluse
01-29-2010, 12:05 PM
I only 'visit' about half of the exisrtng 'sub-forums' as it is, because I have no interest in those that I ignore.
A 'kid's forum' and a 'wives forum' would be just two for me to ignore...along with the latest 'new' one, The Castpic of the Month.
If my hobby was photography, I wouldn't be on a shooting forum.

As for actually interacting with kids...
I replied to a 'kid' about a year ago. I thought what she was proposing, contemplating, or 'whatever' the conversation was about, was a little ill-conceived..so told her that, firmly but politely.

Next thing I know, her mother is calling me names.

A far as I'm concerned, they can learn to get along with us 'old farts'...or they can go play elsewhere.

CM

Ohhhhh yeah. I remember that discussion.

You got called names because you called her parents' morals and values (in how they raised her) into question. If you're going to perch yourself on a pedestal of self-made virtue, get ready for a few rocks to be thrown at you.

The discussion in question was a joke, a bit racy, but certainly no more racy than any "adult" has ever posted and in truth, probably less so.

In that regard, the young lady was "acting like an adult" in order to "get along with us old farts." And in doing so, you and a few other self-annointed righteous old farts got all over her case.

Her mom showed a lot more restraint than I would have. A helluva lot more.

Great attitude as far as "let the next generation cater to US and learn how to get along with US if they want to play with us." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was very successful in my career because of the simple fact that I bothered to learn the younger people's world, listen to it, respect it in order that I could hand it over to them. I was number two honcho in a sixteen-hundred employee corporation in which over half of the employees were barely over half my age.

But they were THE future. I was the dinosaur. I didn't like it, but I like living in cardboard boxes and eating cold cat food even less. These were good people. I thought of them as my extended family and treated them as such. I respected them, listened to them and their ideas and did my best to implement them where possible.

In turn, the young people took care of us "old farts" running the show. They've taken over the company and continue to take it new heights. I'm proud of them.

Re-examine your statement on young people "getting along with us old farts if they want to play with us," then pick up a magazine about hunting sometime. Read the articles bemoaning the fact that we do not have enough young people getting into guns and hunting.

It's called cause and effect.

You and I are both ex-military. Look at what the young people have done with the military in terms of incorporating technology and tactics. It boggles my mind. Somewhere, some "old farts" who were generals and admirals had to listen to the younger warriors. Had they not, we'd still be fighting with flintlocks and getting our asses whipped.

Was it an old fart that invented the internet--Al Gore notwithstanding? Was it old farts that thought of and invented Google, or the iPhone or cell phones? Was it old farts who designed the Glock pistol or the other new-age polymer material firearms? Doesn't matter if you like them or not--they're here to stay and they are the sales leaders.

If we don't listen to our young people, we're in for a world of hurt. We didn't listen to them in 2006, and they made their voice heard in 2008.

We'll be paying for that for the rest of our lives.

:coffee:

Bill*
01-29-2010, 12:07 PM
I saw the posts in question, and have no doubt RFsLGirl was sincere. That said, if I typed the same notice to you all, I'm sure the responses would have been similar. I have seen enough posts of hers to consider her a lady, not a "kid". She just wanted to warn us of something the NRA debunked years ago. I'm sure she'll check a bit better next time. I don't see the need to send her off to a "kids room". Anyway, she herself has stated she'd spend more time here anyway (politely telling us to treat her as equal-as it should be!) my2cents.....Bill
I expect we may be making a bigger deal of this than she is (hohum, a coupla' guys "threw a few rocks" at my post-well...not the first time I've seen that on "Cast Boolits")