PDA

View Full Version : Mold for a .475 Wildey

rigmarol
06-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Hi guys, I'm new, only been casting for about 18 months or so. I'm still learning a lot so bear with me.

I recently picked up a used Wildey semi-auto in .475 (see Death Wish III). And my first attempts at casting for it using Lee's 400gn 2 cav aluminum mold have been underwelming. No matter what I got undersized bullets. I used WW only, or WW with some more tin hoping to fill out a bit better but never could get anything the sizer would even mark!

I even had a friend send me a hand reaming tool of his own design that worked very well, but unfortunately, the operator (me) managed to screw up the mold to the point where it will now cast the right size, but I have no lube groove on one half of the bullet.... (I told you I was new)

Question. I'd like to get a mold that casts .476 or .478 with maybe a round nose or a smaller meplate than what Lee offers. Preferrably Gas Checked.

The guy that made the reamer for me directed me here, he said you guys would take good care of me.

Thanks.

44man
06-05-2006, 09:38 PM
My Lee mould was undersize and out of round. I sent it back and they sent me a new one. It casts at .477 to .4775.
The first thing to do when mould is not right, is to get ahold of the company.

rigmarol
06-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Agreed, however, this time I wanted to try out an experiment with my friend's reamer tool he made up. I'm also hoping to find a smaller meplate bullet and something with a gas check.

thanks.

475/480
06-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Agreed, however, this time I wanted to try out an experiment with my friend's reamer tool he made up. I'm also hoping to find a smaller meplate bullet and something with a gas check.

thanks.

Hi,
I have a Ballisticast mould that that casts a 308 gr LFNPB sized -.4765,if you want to try some PM me your addy I will send 50 to you to see if they shoot good.They are BHN 24 -water dropped/WW.I will throw in some MM-285gr KTGC cast also but I think the nose might be to big to feed.

Sean

rigmarol
06-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Hi,
I have a Ballisticast mould that that casts a 308 gr LFNPB sized -.4765,if you want to try some PM me your addy I will send 50 to you to see if they shoot good.They are BHN 24 -water dropped/WW.I will throw in some MM-285gr KTGC cast also but I think the nose might be to big to feed.

Sean

PM sent sir. Thank you very much.

rigmarol
06-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Are there any other members here casting for the .475 Wildey? I'd love to swap info.

Wildcat
06-08-2006, 12:05 PM
My Lee was casting oversize (.483) from the get go. Once sizing was done, there was barely enough groove left to hold any lube. I ended up ordering from NEI and its been a fantastic mold.

rigmarol
06-08-2006, 02:23 PM
My Lee was casting oversize (.483) from the get go. Once sizing was done, there was barely enough groove left to hold any lube. I ended up ordering from NEI and its been a fantastic mold.

Wow, from one extreme to the next I guess. What NEI mold (mould) did you get?

Wildcat
06-09-2006, 09:31 AM
I believe its No. 356. Its a 420 grain plain base. I've only had it a couple of weeks, but thus far its been very accurate out of my BFR.

rigmarol
06-14-2006, 09:39 PM
475/480,
Package recieved, thank you, expect a check in the mail for potage.

rigmarol
06-14-2006, 09:40 PM
Wildcat,
I ordered a replacement Lee mold and guess what? OVERSIZED and when sized, the lube grooves are obliterated! Sound familiar?

I ordered a saeco too and it's dropping perfect bullets.

Wildcat
06-15-2006, 11:33 AM
All too familiar. I'm fed up the smaller Lee moulds. I'll be interested in hearing how the Saeco does. Good luck!

rigmarol
06-27-2006, 05:07 PM
Well, I have some of the Lee and some of the Saeco loaded up ready to test if ever gets below 100 degree at the range. I might have to wait a while.

rigmarol
07-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Got out to try the lee and saeco bullets. Both did similar. No keyholes or flyers.

Bad news is the gun is busted. I'm not positive but since I've had it out only twice and both times I've had the same trouble (feed and ejection problems) I think it was busted when I bought it.

Wildey wants $250 to fix. The outfit I bought it from on consignment are willing to pay but only through their smith. So I'll not be able to test for accuracy until I get it fixed.

lar45
07-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Mine casts a little out of round. .477x .479.
If you get a small one, you can beagle the mold open with Aluminum ducting tape. There should be a method posted somewhere here.

Or you can lap the mold out to make it bigger. cast a bullet, drill the base and put a screw in it. Chuck screw in drill, apply lapping compound to bullet, insert in mold and run drill while closeing the jaws on it. Go slow and recast bullets till you have it right.

Or once mountain molds is back up, you can order excatly what you want with his online design program. www.mountainmolds.com I have a 500gn mold for my 470 NE from him and it shoots great. I also have a bunch of .454 molds that are great also. I have the Brass and Aluminum molds and prefer the Aluminum ones better. I haven't tried the steel or cast iron molds though.

Have you tried the Lee 325 mold? I bought 2 and milled one down to drop a 275 plain base.

How is the grip frame on the Widley to shoot? It seemed a bit large with sharp corners on it to me. I bought a 44 automag instead. What brass do you use to make the 475 Widley from?

rigmarol
07-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Lar45,

I haven't tried any other mold than the ones I've spoken of. I'm happy with what is dropping out of the two I have.

A friend made me a really cool hand "reamer" for an undersized mold and if I had done my part correctly it would have fixed my problem. Instead I ruined one of the two cavs and just ponied up and bought a new mold.

The wildey feels like a machine in your hand. You definately know you are holding onto something powerful. The grip is like holding a brick. You are correct, the corners are a bit on the severe side if not sharp. However, when you light off a round it feels very good. The ability to adjust the recoil felt with the gas system is very cool.

The round is manufactured, it's not a wildcat. It's called 475 Wildey Magnum.
I order brass from Midway at about 50 cents or so a case. I just run them through the case trimmer to be sure they're in spec and load em up. You could convert .284 brass to .475 Wildey Magnum if you wanted to go through that process.

j4570
07-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Does Wildey recommend using cast boolits in it? I only ask as Original 44 Automags (way different design than the Wildey) you should not shoot cast boolits in. It affects the pressure curve and you have problems.

I suspect one could have functioning problems in the Wildey also despite being gas operated. I used Speer Gold Dots in mine with pretty good success. Been considering selling the whole package as I don't shoot it much. Also, the powder is important in the Wildey for the right amount.

You have to following Wildey's directions for setting the gas. Too little gas is a pain because it short strokes and jams. Once you get a load dialed it, don't change it!!! Also, try to count the number of "clicks" as invariably anyone else that handles it will screw with the gas regulator-I learned the hard way.

They are good accurate guns with mild recoil for the power. But it takes some getting used to. Smooth grips are easier on recoil I think-mine has smooth, never shot one checkered (don't see that many).

Lloyd Smale
07-28-2006, 06:02 AM
Ive had 5 or 6 of those lee .475 molds. I got to say mine were cut fine. Didnt hold up for crap but none of the lee 2 cavitys hold up for me much more then a couple of sessions.

rigmarol
08-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Does Wildey recommend using cast boolits in it? I only ask as Original 44 Automags (way different design than the Wildey) you should not shoot cast boolits in. It affects the pressure curve and you have problems.

I suspect one could have functioning problems in the Wildey also despite being gas operated. ...

I called Wildey BEFORE buying the gun and asked that very question. At the time I was trying to decide between the Wildey or the Desert Eagle in 44mag (with plans to buy the .50cal conversion). The DE CAN be shot with cast but if it gets leaded up you have to take it to the smith to get cleaned out (I'm told). But Wildey says their beast LOVES cast as long as it's HARD. The gas system is very simple, no tubes to clog just the vent holes around the regulator and they clean up quite easily. The Desert Eagle's paperwork even states multiple times that the warrantee is voided if you shoot cast in it. Although I personally know of people that shoot cast in theirs with no problem I decided on the Wildey.